Military coup in Turkey?

Think they were betting on wider support - early on they had isolated much of the government and taking control of much of the administration infrastructure it only really fell apart due to relatively widespread pro-Erdogan and lacklustre response from those anti-Erdogan.

very big gamble... especially after messages from higher ranking officers got read out + the police managed to persuade groups of soldiers to surrender etc..

I mean for the ordinary guys on the ground they're not going to have advanced warning, they've had their orders from their local chain of command and that is the first they hear about it, then they get conflicting reports then the police turn up...

a coup ought to be better executed than that, arresting the president and making a broadcast with the backing of senior military figures would have been fairly important

soldiers armed with assault rifles certainly wouldn't have been as easy to disarm if they were more sure of the coup attempt

thing is he still has to be careful with the fall out from this and any reform of the armed forces another attempted coup is still possible

Quote:
Erdogan: Uprising is a gift from god to help us clean out the military of this gang.

No doubt he believes that, as I understand it the military there were not under his control, they don't report to the president but were intended to protect the founding principles of the current era of Turkey, ie secular and free government, not the Islamic, oppressive direction Erdogan's government is going.

This will give him a great excuse to change laws and bring the military directly under his control as the police obviously already have been. When his opposition holds events his police chase them off. You can't have fair elections with what Erdogan is doing. If anything, a 'fake' coup in which he's safely out of country and maybe some of his maybe less strong(completely speculating here) supporting people within the government just happen to get killed, he blames it all on his opposition, takes control of the military and effectively turns Turkey into a dictatorship.

Even if it's not a fake coup(I'm not implying there is even a good chance it is, just saying it would work so well for him), it's played out in that way for him. Can still blame the opposition, gain support for taking over military more, continue his campaign of removing rights and acting like a dictator.

Turkey is entirely populated by blokes didn't you know? :D

They probably did the smart thing and stayed at home.

Men are largely stupider even when they believe its "brave" to walk up to a tank or men with live ammo.

Lol, I did think it was because they had more sense. Just imagined an uprising in Europe, can't see the women staying at home. Wondered if it was an indication of Erdogan's support base.

What do you expect these so called Western leaders to do? They're bending over backwards as it is to Erdogan. He has the EU cowering to his wills, he's playing a political game with them.

EU needs him more than he needs them with the borders around Turkey being in a total mess.

Obama was quick enough to make his view known.

Last edited:
Can we not do the 'men are stupid' thing please. It triggers the heck out of some people here. :p Equality and diversity do not apply during coup attempts, mmmkay.

I'm bowing out for the night.

Dowie, good job on the up-to-date info and links, much appreciated in keeping track of events tonight. Thank you. :)

Erdogan says over 40 yrs Gulenists infiltrated armed forces, police & other institutions, are a threat to national unity, caused coup,

Prime minister has given orders to "eradicate" those who are shooting from the air..

Erdoğan confirms that the General Secretary of the Presidency has been taken hostage:

Erdogan says Turkey is fighting a second war of independence

Last edited:
very big gamble... especially after messages from higher ranking officers got read out + the police managed to persuade groups of soldiers to surrender etc..

I mean for the ordinary guys on the ground they're not going to have advanced warning, they've had their orders from their local chain of command and that is the first they hear about it, then they get conflicting reports then the police turn up...

a coup ought to be better executed than that, arresting the president and making a broadcast with the backing of senior military figures would have been fairly important

soldiers armed with assault rifles certainly wouldn't have been as easy to disarm if they were more sure of the coup attempt

thing is he still has to be careful with the fall out from this and any reform of the armed forces another attempted coup is still possible

Its possible it was coincidence the attempted coup was when the president was on holiday, etc. and what appeared to be a specific plan was actually a failure of planning and they'd expected him to be in a place they could get to him in the capital.

TLDR:

Bad guys won. RIP Turkey secularism, however, with the now increasingly dictatorial policies, entry to EU seems extremely unlikely, if you care about that.

Niggel Faraway did, he did mention in a leaflet through my door that million of them would be here next week or year or something similar.
May the mighty Allah give us the strength to repel these masses with a vote or something please......!

Destabilisation probably isn't what the region needs right now, and a messy long drawn out affair isn't good. Shame chap in charge wasn't killed as part of it.

Back
Top Bottom