Military coup in Turkey?

Too bad....now Erdo will slaughter all the coupers. He's dictator.

I'm not so sure. I imagine while he'll have to show a strong hand, going down the route of executing the coup leaders wouldn't necessarily do him any great favours with the military. He'd be potentially destabilising the army further. Long prison sentences surely but I'd be surprised if he executed them. The foot soldiers involved probably have a life on the Syrian border patrols to look forward to.

Why start a coup when you don't control the air force or other important elements in the army? I suppose this was a desperate, final stand against Erdogan but it only ended up helping him become more powerful.

Also, the purges he made in the army a few years back seem to have come to fruition, they are probably why only parts of the army were involved in the coup.

I'm surprised that some of the posters here wanted the coup to succeed. It was not supported by the opposition or the Kurds, I doubt it would've led to a better Turkey had it succeeded.

how did the army lose, they had all the powerful weaponry?

because they're not all going to start fighting the police when it wasn't clear they actually had the rest of the armed forces on their side, probably more of a confidence thing but it isn't like the soldiers on the ground would have been given advance notice of the coup but rather orders from their local commanders, when they then get conflicting reports of more senior officers ordering them to stand down + police telling them to surrender then they can't really be confident they're part of a large coup with wider support rather than a small breakaway faction

not capturing the president first was a rather big mistake but also not having wide support and gambling that it would come didn't pay off

TLDR:

Bad guys won. RIP Turkey secularism, however, with the now increasingly dictatorial policies, entry to EU seems extremely unlikely, if you care about that.

No, good guys won, turkish people stand with their president they went to the streets refusing what some of the army guys done.

Too bad....now Erdo will slaughter all the coupers. He's dictator.

who told you he is a dictator if you are not living in middle east don't assume, some of the army guys don't want a civil country ruled by a civil guy, they want to rule the country by a dictatorship and force turkish people refuses to be lead by army dictatorship

I'm not sure Erdogan could be considered a "good guy" in any way - he's carving out a little pro-Islamic dictatorship out of what used to be a relatively stable country.

Last edited:
It wasn't like it was the whole army, or anyone of senior rank. It was the equivalent of one of our own station commanders rallying a handful of troops and tanks then going on a mission.

It's all a shame.

Call me a conspiracy theorist but I think this was planned by Erdogan. Now he will have support of the people to purge the military of any people against him and replacing them with his men. He will then be a true dictator just like he wants.

Call me a conspiracy theorist but I think this was planned by Erdogan. Now he will have support of the people to purge the military of any people against him and replacing them with his men. He will then be a true dictator just like he wants.

LOL that's what the GF said. He was out of the country and it all plays in his favour.

well at the end this one big **** you to all western countries espcially the US who supported this army group against the civil president and the civil nation. people chose him even middle east people love him and respect him as a leader. respect that and mind your own ****ing business

Back
Top Bottom