Military coup in Turkey?

well at the end this one big **** you to all western countries espcially the US who supported this army group against the civil president and the civil nation. people chose him even middle east people love him and respect him as a leader. respect that and mind your own ****ing business

eh? What makes you think the US supported this coup attempt?

I don't understand all of the people out in the streets supporting him. Are they just stupid? Is he that good at manipulating an entire population?

Unfortunately these days, many people are opting for populist style leaders. Some global phenomenon going on, hope it reverses sooner rather than later.

well at the end this one big **** you to all western countries espcially the US who supported this army group against the civil president and the civil nation. people chose him even middle east people love him and respect him as a leader. respect that and mind your own ****ing business

Who says it was the US? I am sure the Turks are smart enough to do these things on their own.

Who says it was the US? I am sure the Turks are smart enough to do these things on their own.

You have to realise most people in this world blame the US and the west when something bad happens out of principle.

Even for trivial things like "my crops aren't doing so well this year? Must be the US doing experiments in the atmosphere". I'm not joking.

You have to realise most people in this world blame the US and the west when something bad happens out of principle.

Even for trivial things like "my crops aren't doing so well this year? Must be the US doing experiments in the atmosphere". I'm not joking.

true, but it would be nice if people with internet access were perhaps a bit beyond that

Why would America want to destabilise one of the most strategically important partners in NATO?

I'm sure you're aware that Erdogan, though he has broad support, has made many enemies in Turkey as he is flying in the face of what Ataturk stood for and becoming increasingly authoritarian. Can't be president any more? Never mind, I'll just create a new prime minister's position and rule from there.

Bad guys won. RIP Turkey secularism, however, with the now increasingly dictatorial policies, entry to EU seems extremely unlikely, if you care about that.

It's not so simple. Even the rival political parties condemned the coup. Edrogan is bad - no question - but so is a military coup. The next few months are going to be key for Edrogan and Turkey.

how did the army lose, they had all the powerful weaponry?

This isn't an RTS. It isn't a game. The weapons were mostly a bluff, a show of strength, because when push came to shove, the overwhelming majority of soldiers were not willing to fire on their own countrymen. This shouldn't be a surprise.

The military misjudged the mood on the ground, and made a serious tactical error by failing to secure Edrogan. When crowds poured onto the street in support of the government they had no response.

Turkey is broken, they are marching back to the dark ages have been for 10 years, To be fair thats anywhere where a certain faith raises its ugly head and ends up running the show. Build a wall leave them alone with a big sign saying "Danger Nutters"

It's not so simple. Even the rival political parties condemned the coup. Edrogan is bad - no question - but so is a military coup. The next few months are going to be key for Edrogan and Turkey.

There is absolutely nothing inherently good about an elected leader, nor anything in inherently bad about a military coup.

Someone elected legally can then work to change laws to prevent giving up power legally. Likewise a military coup against an unjust/illegal government working against the people that intends to partake in fair elections and pass power back as quickly as possible should be seen as nothing less than just. Think of it this way, what would we say if the Army at any point from 1939-45 had held a military coup because they disagreed with their political leaders on the legality or morality of the war they were ordered to undertake, I think most of us would see said coup as absolutely the right thing. Situation and intent are what make things good or bad. Someone who gets elected democratically but has every intention of destroying the democracy is bad, a military coup with every intention of breaking a bad leader and restoring democracy can be good.

Though winning the election legally was always in question with Erdogan, those who found irregularities with his win were branded terrorists and frauds, he took over the paper that had the temerity to question his election and continues to do similar things to anyone who dares say anything about him.

Now it's perfectly possible he was elected legally and the group behind finding evidence to the contrary were lying, but that doesn't make his other actions good. Trying to prosecute people in other countries for saying bad things about him, cracking down on any protests or speech against him in Turkey, shutting down any sources of media that might not support him are all actions of a dictator.

In effect I'd say Erdogan in implementing a coup himself, just because he's the elected official doesn't mean he can't, he's just on the inside and attempting to overthrow the democratic government with his own dictatorship.

The military misjudged the mood on the ground, and made a serious tactical error by failing to secure Edrogan. When crowds poured onto the street in support of the government they had no response.

Yeah pretty standard for any coup - either brute force take out the executive people and/or have the people rally behind you - failure of both was a disaster for the plotters.

This is the first time I have ever hoped a military coup would succeed. Edrogan is forcing new powers for himself and the PM is his poodle. He is moving away from any kind of democracy to dictatorship and this is why I hoped they had succeeded.

Back
Top Bottom