Military coup in Turkey?

a soldiers was beheaded this morning on the bridge over bosphorus..

Extra judicial killings I can see being a serious problem. Especially with so many police officers dying.

Need to get control over all that. Many soldiers were probably just following orders of their CO.

if the erdogan government allows the lynching of those who participated in this coup and executes those who have been arrested then i believe he has hit the final nail on the coffin. I hope he is smarter and cools things down. Otherwise he will make matters worse in an already heavily divided Turkey.

In any case he must go, for turkeys sake.

"I was only following orders". Seriously?

Well it's not like most were being asked to kill people.

They were being order to take control of bridges, buildings etc. if your CO asks you to do that, then who are you to question that order?

However, when you start seeing higher level orders being announced, the civilian police force standing up to you, and civilians coming out in force, then you have reason to perhaps question those original orders. That was when most soldiers started backing off.

Last edited:
Well it's not like most were being asked to kill people.

They were being order to take control of bridges, buildings etc. if your CO asks you to do that, then who are you to question that order?

However, when you start seeing higher level orders being announced, the civilian police force standing up to you, and civilians coming out in force, then you have reason to perhaps question those original orders. That was when most soldiers started backing off.

Exactly this - roughly 2800 soldiers have been arrested if I've read the report correctly - how many of them were in the know about what was happening?

There is no way more than a handful could have been, I mean if you've informed 2800 people its going to leak out, thats too many people to keep tabs on a secret.

I imagine a lot of the people involved were told to go to hold the bridge or whatever, and they followed orders. If the coup had been sucessful and they'd have managed to take Erdogan and his cabinet then contradicting orders may not have come. If they had managed to shut down social media the call for people to rise up on the streets would not have come. Sure the soldiers involved would have had the feeling that something was off, but they wouldn't have known the full scale of things.

Most of the guys involved in the coup attempt couldn't have been fanatic supporters of military rule - they stood down when confronted by unarmed groups, they didn't fight until the end slaughtering innocent people. Don't get me wrong, there were some obvious asshats in amongst the group, but I can't imagine many of them really knew what was going on and what they were going to be in for.

A dictator will do anything to stay in power, he's clearly made the coup up himself via simply allowing it to go forward.

The military was the only bastion of secularism in Turkey, and now they have no power from this, as such, Erdogan has eliminated his last hurdle and paved the way for to being like Putin...

Will be fun to have the first islamic state inside the EU :)

Back
Top Bottom