Military coup in Turkey?

Anyway, on topic, what evidence does he have to go after the judiciary, or is this just an opportunist land grab while he has the chance?

It could be a power grab or there could actually be people within the Judiciary that encouraged the attempted coup.

I guess we'll know in time.

Anyway, on topic, what evidence does he have to go after the judiciary, or is this just an opportunist land grab while he has the chance?

LOL, how the **** do you imagine anyone here is going to know the answer to that question?

You think we have Turkish government officials posting here or something?

LOL, how the **** do you imagine anyone here is going to know the answer to that question?

No, it's called a discussion. People ask questions and we discuss it, like most things.:confused:

You never know someone may have stumbled across a statement saying why all the judges were layed off.

I see he is clamping down on people he wants removed. According to the BBC he has fired 2,700 judges. It is hardly likely that they all were in any way part of this attempt. Removing those who want to limit his drive for dictatorship seems more likely.

Hey, we're in a post-expert Britain now, not knowing anything about a subject is exactly the opinions we should be listening to...

No, it's called a discussion. People ask questions and we discuss it, like most things.:confused:

You never know someone may have stumbled across a statement saying why all the judges were layed off.

And this

I wrote this on PistonHeads after Lunch -

"I agree with the whole "it didn't seem authentic" idea. My guess is that now he can purge the military and Civil Service of all those who would possibly opposed him should he now convert the country to an Islamic autocracy rather than it's previously secular nature.

There was far too few troops involved for it to have been a genuine attempt in my opinion (even if they thought they'd get popular support) which is why I'd plump for the above."

Then I get back from town at 1830 and find out he's sacked 2700 judges as well as started his purge of the Military. So in less than 24hrs from "the coup" to he's already found enough evidence to start firing everyone who can stop him, really????

Last edited:
MAKE TURKEY GREAT AGAIN. TAKE BACK CONTROL ERDOGAN.

/s

Going to be very interesting hearing the fate of these Judges in time.

Wow some of the stuff on ******** is shocking I couldnt watch the tank running over people but watched helicopter shoot civilian on the bridge truly disgusting :(

Why would soldiers kill there own people?

Why are none of the news channels talking about this? I swear I just switched to one that was talking about Pokémon Go. A mobile game is more important than a major country's army trying to overthrow its government?

Last edited:
Why are none of the news channels talking about this? I swear I just switched to one that was talking about Pokémon Go. A mobile game is more important than a major county's army trying to overthrow its government?

Always been the case with coups for some reason - always seem to play second fiddle to any other news - maybe there is some policy to stop the natives getting ideas or something :D

Why are none of the news channels talking about this? I swear I just switched to one that was talking about Pokémon Go. A mobile game is more important than a major county's army trying to overthrow its government?

The BBC hit a new high today. I'm paraphrasing.

"Caught up in the chaos today were a group of students passing through the country on route to [somewhere else]. Their mothers and fellow students took to social media to find out about it.

We sents soandso to interview the fellow students and parents of the students trapped at the airport."

"Oh yeah it was really scary. We didn't know if they would be, like, eaten by the coup supporters. That's what they do in a coup, right? I was on Facebook all night telling talking about how scary it would be to be eaten by some Turkish soldiers. Well messed up."

"Yeah I had no idea what happened, but then five minutes ago, I looked on Facebook yeah, and now I'm an expert on everything Turkish. Your viewers will surely want to know what me and my mates posted to Facebook last night. It's well informative, innit."

"And now back to the studio."

***** BBC news.

I agree there was an awful lot of scaremongering by the remain party. Sadly it followed up with little facts, thankfully the majority voted correctly.

Oops read above, won't post more on it.

The whole thing was a sham by both sides - I can't believe the amount of political games, misleading or out right lies, etc. employed by both camps you can't really pick one without criticising the other for it.

It was legit. Not that many soldiers would opt for prison to push the agenda. Turkish prison at that.

I think the truth is that he used the coup as an excuse to clean house to maintain power. We are looking at the rise of another dictatorship and a very dangerous one.

I'm actually saddened they didn't succeed... goodbye democracy in Turkey, hello another ****hole to add to the already growing list in the middle east.

It's starting to look as backward as Syria from some of the videos I've seen... lynching, beating and beheading soldiers lmao.

*Thumbs up* Also it's time they hurried up and kicked Turkey from NATO.

Last edited:
My admittedly simplistic view of the middle east is dictatorship equals stability, and the West's imposition of their idea of democracy equals near Armageddon for the place. Tribes need rulers, strong ones. Fair and strong don't seem to gel together out there....

My admittedly simplistic view of the middle east is dictatorship equals stability, and the West's imposition of their idea of democracy equals near Armageddon for the place. Tribes need rulers, strong ones. Fair and strong don't seem to gel together out there....

I actually agree with you.

Traditionalist authoritarianism is more suitable for underdeveloped nations where as democractic liberalism is suitable for developed ones. Although in Turkey's case, the coastal regions have many developed, cosmopolitan cities which are very different from the rest of the country.

Last edited:

Agreed, there are too many factions with completely different views with nothing to lose and many weapons at their disposal. The west just do not understand these countries and western ideals do not work there. The dictators seem to be a necessary evil. Iraq is a great example. Our leaders don't seem to learn either.

Back
Top Bottom