Military coup in Turkey?

I hope Erdogan is politically astute enough not to start executing over two thousand personnel.

that would be unlikely, though it is a possibility for the officers behind the plot

but he's also likely to make further sackings and carry out further reforms... I do wonder if that could push others into a proper coup attempt

I don't think they had the F16s on their side... just some ground troops and a couple of helicopters it seems(one of which was apparently shot down by an F16), if it had been carried out by some senior military figures then perhaps a different story, then again he probably wouldn't have made the flight had that been the case... obviously he felt safe enough to fly in

I though Lt. Gen. Erdal Öztürk was one of those arrested? He was pretty senior...

Not so sure about that, some of the earliest videos coming out were of fast jets at low level over the city.

Seems to be mixed reports about that - some sources saying they were up in the air anyhow and their actions were due to the confusion on the ground and not getting proper orders.

that would be unlikely, though it is a possibility for the officers behind the plot

but he's also likely to make further sackings and carry out further reforms... I do wonder if that could push others into a proper coup attempt

Yeah a purge like that is going to have some fallout down the line one way or another.

it was fair comment tbh... given the circumstances of Erdogan pushing the German govt to prosecute someone for insulting him - actually ridiculous that a Western nation would allow for such a thing but seemingly Germany does...

It was fair comment from a bloke what appears on HIGNFY and writes a newspaper column. It's a real **** around the neck of a man who seeks to be the diplomatic face of Britain and harbours aspirations of being PM.

Yes, the numbers are alarming. Let's also not forget that TAF is the second largest grouping of well-armed military personnel in NATO; if the forces break apart in support of various factions and start going at it proper, Syria will look like a kids' tea party. Turkey's NATO status also means we will need to pick a side in any such conflagration. :(

Yes, the numbers are alarming. Let's also not forget that TAF is the second largest grouping of well-armed military personnel in NATO; if the forces break apart in support of various factions and start going at it proper, Syria will look like a kids' tea party. Turkey's NATO status also means we will need to pick a side in any such conflagration. :(

No to mention what we do when the Kurds unilaterally declare the state of Kurdistan spanning from parts of Turkey through part of Iraq.

I don't think it does... surely that just applies to attacks from an outsider not to messy civil war scenarios?

No to mention what we do when the Kurds unilaterally declare the state of Kurdistan spanning from parts of Turkey through part of Iraq.

If they can pull that off with as minimal bloodshed as possible then fair play to them, they deserve it...

Frankly post gulf war mk2 we ought to have divided up Iraq into three separate countries anyway with Cyprus style UN green zones - that in itself could have stopped ISIS (at least on the Iraqi side), made the Kurds happy and solved the issue of the Sunni feeling marginalised by the Shia in the first place(who were never, realistically, going to do power sharing too well).

I though Lt. Gen. Erdal Öztürk was one of those arrested? He was pretty senior...

indeed he was... but seemingly not enough to mobilise wider elements of the armed forces beyond the few thousand ground troops and couple of helicopters we saw... given the size of their armed forces then a few more senior people would have been needed

indeed he was... but seemingly not enough to mobilise wider elements of the armed forces beyond the few thousand ground troops and couple of helicopters we saw... given the size of their armed forces then a few more senior people would have been needed

Just read that Gen Adem Huduti, commander of the Second Army; and Akin Ozturk, the former Chief of Air Staff were also arrested. Its pretty obvious that Erdogan is taking full advantage of the situation to get rid of his enemies. Its pretty hard to believe that the heads of two armies and the former chief of air staff were (fully) involved in such an ineffective coup.

With what's happening in the South China Sea found this be the beginning of WW3?

Its certainly a good time to be getting rid of/deferring upgrades to out deterrents... not. I hope to **** common sense prevails on Monday.

I don't think large scale war is either immediate or inevitable but the geopolitical landscape is certainly interesting at the moment with both Russia and China making preparations for war (that isn't to say they would be the aggressors or that war in likely).

It is much more likely we'll see an increase in hybrid and proxy conflict.

That is an interesting one - as while the Kurds seem to be one of the easiest to get along with and appear to be relatively moderate when left alone to do their own thing what would happen in the long run? could be they turn into just as big a problem when the boot is on their foot.

I don't think it does... surely that just applies to attacks from an outsider not to messy civil war scenarios?

I assume we would want to keep them in NATO and protect refugee camps and American bases there. There's also a thought about any potential Russian involvement, token as it may be (I don't think they can afford any more rapid interventions).

The Kurdish people, from my experience, are awesome. Friendly, hard working and industrious, despite the persecution they have experienced for many years in the region. They are also hard as nails.

I'd love for them to see an independent Kurdish state in my lifetime.

Lol, latest news are Erdogan and Putin will meet in the first days of August, Erdogan said he will discuss the possibility Turkey joining the Eurasian Union...

He also seems to have destroyed his army's officer structure, he fired all judges and D.A's

I believe after the coup we are witnessing a counter-coup. He acts as if the country is his private business

not really, its all sabre rattling, imho

unless he is really that crazy which again i doubt.

Russia + Turkey (along with Iran, etc.) would have a pretty formidable military capability - but despite a developing domestic arms design and production capability Turkey is currently quite dependant on Western and Israel suppliers so they wouldn't be in much of a position to go to war without the backing of them.

Back
Top Bottom