Military coup in Turkey?

My admittedly simplistic view of the middle east is dictatorship equals stability, and the West's imposition of their idea of democracy equals near Armageddon for the place. Tribes need rulers, strong ones. Fair and strong don't seem to gel together out there....

Places that for a long time have been dictatorships staying dictatorships probably helps stability. But Turkey has actually been a democracy for a long time and the Turkish Army was given the task of making sure leaders didn't make grabs towards powers. They've had successful relatively 'good' coups in the past to retain democracy. The status quo and maintaining stability in Turkey is keeping to a democracy. Erdogan making a final shift from democracy to a dictatorship will destabilise the country rather than stabilise it.

The people were out last night to protect democracy rather than protecting their right to watch Erdogan turn their country into a dictatorship, it seems they were too short sighted to see the truth of what he's trying to do.

Tweets earlier of explosions @ AFB with nuclear arsenal, scary stuff.

DEFCONWarningSystem
‏@DEFCONWS
Incirlik AFB has denied the unconfirmed reports of explosions and gunfire first reported by twitter. Repeat, Incirlik AFB says its not true

Last edited:
Wouldn't worry about it too much - they have a hardened inner perimeter for the scary stuff with something like 2K or 2.5K defence force plus over double that in total combat capable (including other nationalities stationed there) designed to be able to hold out against a groundwar until reinforcements arrive.

Normally they are stuck on the back of the dog tags of the guys in the missile room.

Reminds me of a site visit I did at work once - the keys to the safe were labelled "safe keys" and hanging on a peg by the door outside the security room the safe was in.

Interesting.

TURKEY’S LAST COUP: WHAT I SAW IN ANKARA

There was a crowd of hundreds if not thousands of people still there. Vans were dropping off bottles of water and Turkish flags. Having won the night’s battle, many were resting under the shades of the trees across the street from the police headquarters. Then a group of police special forces arrived, and hundreds streamed up front to greet them. There were designated people to keep the crowd from crushing them. Chants of “polise uzanan eller kırılsın,” (“may the hands seeking to harm the police be broken!”) and “Türkiye sizinle gurur duyuyor!” (“Turkey is proud of you!”) rose from the crowd. The most popular chant by far however, was “Allahu Akbar,” and there was a vindictive feeling in the takbir, as if it that elation had been caged up for too long.

These people were not from my neighborhood up the hill, but from Ankara’s various poorer districts. An overwhelming majority were male, with lean faces and sunburnt skin. Rather than the urbane “Istanbul Turkish,” they spoke in various Anatolian accents, and a few wore traditional Islamic garb the way Arabs do. Many used hand signs with their slogans, either the sign of takbir, an extended index finger (which in Turkey suggests political Islamism) or the sign of the gray wolf, (which belongs to the nationalist party). It was these people who had faced down the junta’s tanks.

Many Turks on the left are already uncomfortable with this, pointing out that the same group is known for beating up journalists and oppressing minority groups. Their actions, they say, were more motivated by the will to hold on to power than by a love for democracy. They have a point, but it doesn’t change the fact that the night could well have been lost if not for their actions.

Well, I'm still baffled as to why they didn't just send one F16 to take down Erdo in transit? Did the previous coups leave the president in one piece? Holding down a major city, expecting him to land and surrender was optimistic at best. :\

Well, I'm still baffled as to why they didn't just send one F16 to take down Erdo in transit? Did the previous coups leave the president in one piece? Holding down a major city, expecting him to land and surrender was optimistic at best. :\

Not seen it confirmed but supposedly twice buildings he had just left in Bodrum were attacked with explosives.

It seems like the plotters were under the impression the general populous would rally behind them once it kicked off.

Last edited:
Next time they need to arrest Erdogan. Lenin knew how to do it, they arrested the entire government in one go so that they couldn't send orders to anyone.

They did strike when many top government people were either out the country or on holiday and effectively paralysed the military and civilian administration infrastructure initially - but then lost momentum plus the only civilians doing anything active were in support of the president. Which does suggest maybe they were rushed into acting before the plan was finalised.

I'm guessing they had the impression the rest of the army would rally behind them and civilians mostly support them once it kicked off.

Last edited:

I don't think they had the F16s on their side... just some ground troops and a couple of helicopters it seems(one of which was apparently shot down by an F16), if it had been carried out by some senior military figures then perhaps a different story, then again he probably wouldn't have made the flight had that been the case... obviously he felt safe enough to fly in

It's being revealed that the soldiers who were following orders were told it was a military excercise.

not exactly surprising as they'd want to keep it secret till the last moment - also explains why they'd surrender to the police so easily (especially since they were then recieveing conflicting information and had senior generals telling them to stand down)

I'm actually saddened they didn't succeed... goodbye democracy in Turkey, hello another ****hole to add to the already growing list in the middle east.

only hope now is for this retaliations to trigger a proper coup attempt by more senior members of the military with larger amounts of support

I hope Erdogan is politically astute enough not to start executing over two thousand personnel. Though it does look like he is gunning to replace judges and ram through constitutional changes he was after. How high/low is the potential for a protracted civil war?

That's ok I'm sure we can rely on our Foreign Secretary to pour oil on the fire troubled waters

I mean, he even penned a little ditty about Erdogan a few weeks ago....

it was fair comment tbh... given the circumstances of Erdogan pushing the German govt to prosecute someone for insulting him - actually ridiculous that a Western nation would allow for such a thing but seemingly Germany does...

Back
Top Bottom