Military coup in Turkey?

Putin needs friends abroad to counterbalance EU and American pressure. I guess Turkey fits the bill. Jingoistic adventurism won't achieve much without an economic strategy. Both men need one such plan to survive as strong authoritarians long-term.

Russia + Turkey (along with Iran, etc.) would have a pretty formidable military capability - but despite a developing domestic arms design and production capability Turkey is currently quite dependant on Western and Israel suppliers so they wouldn't be in much of a position to go to war without the backing of them.

It could take a decade to switch from NATO equipment to Russian equipment. The switch is almost impossible. But then again having a NATO country which is so unstable and questionable is a risk as well. Who guarantees Turkish officials do not forward all intelligence from NATO to Russia.

Also have you noticed how the Islamist mob reacted from the first hours of the coup. They stormed armed troops with little disregard for their lives shouting religious slogans mostly. Very well organized. Hell, Turkey with erdogan is taking the path towards the east and fast, i feel sorry form my turkish friends who are not islamo-fanatics

It could take a decade to switch from NATO equipment to Russian equipment. The switch is almost impossible. But then again having a NATO country which is so unstable and questionable is a risk as well. Who guarantees Turkish officials do not forward all intelligence from NATO to Russia.

Also have you noticed how the Islamist mob reacted from the first hours of the coup. They stormed armed troops with little disregard for their lives shouting religious slogans mostly. Very well organized. Hell, Turkey with erdogan is taking the path towards the east and fast, i feel sorry form my turkish friends who are not islamo-fanatics

The aspect of intelligence, etc. would be very concerning but then I'd imagine the country isn't the most secure in that regard at the best of times.

Was quite interesting how split the crowds seemed to be and how quickly certain elements had the flags and t-shirts out, etc.

The aspect of intelligence, etc. would be very concerning but then I'd imagine the country isn't the most secure in that regard at the best of times.

Was quite interesting how split the crowds seemed to be and how quickly certain elements had the flags and t-shirts out, etc.

There were vans going around supplying the flags and other stuff apparently.

Lol, latest news are Erdogan and Putin will meet in the first days of August, Erdogan said he will discuss the possibility Turkey joining the Eurasian Union...

He also seems to have destroyed his army's officer structure, he fired all judges and D.A's

I believe after the coup we are witnessing a counter-coup. He acts as if the country is his private business

not sure if that is just posturing/a signal of displeasure to the US...

I mean he isn't exactly aligned with Russia, he's backing Syrian rebels, Russia is actively bombing the rebels being backed including ethnic Turkmen, he's had that dodgy supply of arms that may/may not have been headed towards ISIS... he's an Islamist and Russia is supporting Assad

There were vans going around supplying the flags and other stuff apparently.

yeah not surprising, he has suspected the possibility of a coup for a while so presumably the police and intelligence services (under his control) had plans in place for a counter coup

not sure if that is just posturing/a signal of displeasure to the US...

I mean he isn't exactly aligned with Russia, he's backing Syrian rebels, Russia is actively bombing the rebels being backed including ethnic Turkmen, he's had that dodgy supply of arms that may/may not have been headed towards ISIS... he's an Islamist and Russia is supporting Assad

Buying oil from IS as well, something that the Turkish journalists found out and were imprisoned for 'treason'

This is quite astonishing if Putin has managed to flip Turkey over to his side.

Short term advantage. Lots of Russians were going to Turkey before that plane got shot down and Russia banned tourists and agricultural produce from Turkey. Turkey has apologised for the plane and lo and behold, one of the plotters was the pilot who shot down the Russian aircraft who has been said to have been shot. Turkey is back supplying Russia with agricultural produce.

I suppose when you realise thousands of people have been arrested and the person you are seeking to overthrow wants the death penalty reintroduced, that might just stiffen your resolve not to go quietly...

https://twitter.com/Yaziyor/status/754464518449795073

42 attack helicopters are missing, nobody knows where are they, lmao. Also, an airbase in the vicinity of Konya is under attack, the whole base digged in and refused to surrender. Looks like its not over yet

All I can find on Konya is that they claim military police have now gone in and arrested 7 people who were holding out and that the situation is "under control".

It appears that the coup has resulted in the fact that 42 attack helicopters are unaccounted for in inventory has come to light and not necessarily that they are in the hands of coup plotters (could be corruption or someone's off the book project in Syria or something heh).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom