Military coup in Turkey?

Caporegime
A coup overthrowing an elected government never restores democratic order. It is an oxymoron.

All people circumventing democracy claim to be doing it on some kind of populism. In reality it is all about getting it your own way, getting power for yourself.

ah you've changed your post... perhaps in some cases but not necessarily - it is yet to be seen what the reasons were here and what the outcome will be

we've got the Queen and her powers as a last resort for these scenarios and they have been exercised in a commonwealth country in the past for much less than this Turkish scenario - for example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_Australian_constitutional_crisis#Dissolution

(in that instance the Governor General acting using the Queen's powers in Australia)

Turkey on the other hand doesn't have a monarchy but if the military are just doing this to trigger new elections get in a new govt then it isn't too different in principle - what their exact aims are though is yet to be seen

Last edited:
Caporegime
Lol, if you have to phone your presidential address in via skype from a hotel room, you are not in control!

Suddenly the backdrop falls down to reveal a beach in the West Indies, the President gets up from behind the desk and runs away in his jacket/swimming shorts combo.

Soldato
Military coups in Egypt have been used to restore some sort of democracy in the past.

If it is a democratic government (which Egypt most definitely wasn't with Mubarak in power for 30 years) then you simply undermine the democratic porcess.

Associate
Just gets worse & worse for Turkey. My friend went on holiday there just before the airport attacks and said the resort was fairly empty so this is only going to impact tourism even more so.

Caporegime
Just gets worse & worse for Turkey.

I dunno, things could be on the up if the current Islamist is getting kicked out of power.

I hope the guy in Germany that is facing prosecution for 'insulting' him gets the case dropped now.

Also makes things easier for Boris in his new foreign secretary role since he did essentially call him a goat ****er :D

Soldato
About time! This is great news and I hope it succeeds. Turkey has been going to the dogs under Erdogan: it is time for secular forces to remove the Islamist and restore the Turkish Republic.

Man of Honour
Just gets worse & worse for Turkey. My friend went on holiday there just before the airport attacks and said the resort was fairly empty so this is only going to impact tourism even more so.

Just realised some friends of mine are on holiday in Turkey - that is going to be um interesting for them. Hope things get resolved soon.

EDIT: Tell a lie they are just back in the UK - saw them posting holiday pictures to FB and assumed they were still out there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom