Monzo/Starling Banking/Revolut

Soldato
Yeap no worries there, I never specified it had to be a CC, its just what i used to use was a CC :)
Ah apols you mentioned Section 75 so thought that payment protection was important to you.

Yeah Chase will work then - but I have no experience of using it abroad but it seems to claim the usual benefits; fee free etc. It has 1% cash back till next year too which is useful to use it as a debit card in the UK, and an easy access saver which gives 1.5% IIRC.

OcUK Staff
I rate Chase, backed by JP Morgan so that was good enough for me, plus the £20 referral scheme was nice whilst it lasted.
1% cashback on the debit mastercard
1.5% savings which I would expect to increase to 1.75-2% soon with base rate increasing
5% on roundup.

I am still keeping my old bank account as my main account as had it 20 years plus but I like the Chase APP and as others have mentioned it now means where I cannot use my AMEX to gain cashback I can still get the cashback using the Chase Debit Mastercard.

My next plan is to see about moving my private pension as my Nest pension is fine, but my current private pension the online portal is rubbish and there is no phone APP, the only good thing is it did grow like 16% last financial year but that was not that difficult with state of stock markets and ease of making some money, still I am now looking for a private pension that has a good APP to move my current private pension too.

Soldato
Any recommendation for a provider that doesn't charge for foreign spending. Going on holiday for the first time in years in August and really cant be arsed with the hassle of exchanging a bulk of cash when we don't know how much we might spend.
Usually i just use Revolut when abroad (ATMs and contactless/pad & pin) and treat it as a top-up card, rather than an online bank account, and stick money on it when needed.

Yet to try my Chase account abroad but it's fee free and 1% cashback for a year so also another option.

Curve card and link it back to your credit card for pin pad expenditure
Other than 1% cashback for 30-days (only on three retailers/outlets i believe?) and fee free for abroad, is there any other advantages of using one over Chase/Revolut/any the other fee free cards?

Soldato
Other than 1% cashback for 30-days (only on three retailers/outlets i believe?) and fee free for abroad, is there any other advantages of using one over Chase/Revolut/any the other fee free cards?
Purely the cashflow advantage of using credit versus debit, and any associated points from your underlying credit card issuer. Obviously the 1% Chase is a big advantage that hadn't existed previously, but you'd still need the cashflow available to keep it topped up.

Revolut has the advantage (I guess) of locking in an exchange rate on a particular day, which is useful, as some of the cards carry a hidden FX fee when used on the weekends.

Soldato
Are there any banks that offer a credit card with the benefits of the new banking apps, e.g. manage it all online, spending analysis, notifications, etc?

Soldato
I rate Chase, backed by JP Morgan so that was good enough for me, plus the £20 referral scheme was nice whilst it lasted.
1% cashback on the debit mastercard
1.5% savings which I would expect to increase to 1.75-2% soon with base rate increasing
5% on roundup.

I am still keeping my old bank account as my main account as had it 20 years plus but I like the Chase APP and as others have mentioned it now means where I cannot use my AMEX to gain cashback I can still get the cashback using the Chase Debit Mastercard.

My next plan is to see about moving my private pension as my Nest pension is fine, but my current private pension the online portal is rubbish and there is no phone APP, the only good thing is it did grow like 16% last financial year but that was not that difficult with state of stock markets and ease of making some money, still I am now looking for a private pension that has a good APP to move my current private pension too.

I rate the Fidelity App pretty highly :)

Soldato
Got an email from Curve yesterday saying they're changing the free account. Unsure if it's something i'll stick with now. Only being able to have 2 payment cards and go back in time 3 times a month. Especially since it lost the "benefit" of being able to withdraw cash abroad via a credit card a little while ago.

Might look into a Starling account, with the option of different "buckets" etc.

Soldato
Got an email from Curve yesterday saying they're changing the free account. Unsure if it's something i'll stick with now. Only being able to have 2 payment cards and go back in time 3 times a month. Especially since it lost the "benefit" of being able to withdraw cash abroad via a credit card a little while ago.

Might look into a Starling account, with the option of different "buckets" etc.
Yeah it is a bit annoying - I had a good scam setup where one of the payment cards was my wife's :D

Soldato
I got the same email from Curve. Looking at the responses to their Twitter post there's a lot of people very unhappy with the change.

Personally I'm not too bothered but having a maximum of 2 linked cards isn't ideal. I've only used Go Back In Time once or twice so that particular change is a none issue for me.

Soldato
Ah see, the go back in time is something i use a lot. I only really use 2 cards. One for personal spending for myself and then another for general stuff as a household. However i buy stuff without thinking about setting the card and regularly end up with loads of household stuff going out of my personal account. Particularly if we're out having drinks and you can easily end up with 10 transactions in a day.

Man of Honour
I'm going to stick with Curve while it's £1.99 a month, after the 12 months when it goes back up I probably won't bother and just drop back to the free level if it's still there.

Back
Top Bottom