• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** MORE 8 PACK PRE-BINNED CPU's AVAILABLE UPTO 5.2GHz!! **

Soldato
I know most will think I am stupid but I just bought a binned 5ghz chip. My previous Kaby Lake managed 5ghz but the temps went to 94 degrees when stress testing and I wasn't impressed, even though it held.
I then sold my Kaby Lake and gambled for a binned chip. It arrived today and on the box it said 5ghz 1.35v. Fair enough, so I gave it a shot. All I can say is I am very happy, at the same 5ghz my temps were all below 65 degrees. That is a huge 30 degrees difference.
Now being new to binned chips, does this mean I cannot keep the same stability at 1.34v? Can I clock higher at 5.1? Have the binned 5ghz chips even been tested above 5ghz? It's just that if this chip has been fully tested to an inch of it's life and received no more performance, I don't want to waste my time testing it again. Regardless, it does the job for me. I know people won't pay an extra £100, but as a one off purchase, I am pleased.

Obviously your decision but i'd have rather have had an X99 rig for the same price ;)

One thing no one mentioned. Is upon re-selling others will pay the extra for it.

I sold my 3770k for more that it was new purely on the fact it would do 5ghz at 1.38v.

Soldato
I know most will think I am stupid but I just bought a binned 5ghz chip. My previous Kaby Lake managed 5ghz but the temps went to 94 degrees when stress testing and I wasn't impressed, even though it held.
I then sold my Kaby Lake and gambled for a binned chip. It arrived today and on the box it said 5ghz 1.35v. Fair enough, so I gave it a shot. All I can say is I am very happy, at the same 5ghz my temps were all below 65 degrees. That is a huge 30 degrees difference.
Now being new to binned chips, does this mean I cannot keep the same stability at 1.34v? Can I clock higher at 5.1? Have the binned 5ghz chips even been tested above 5ghz? It's just that if this chip has been fully tested to an inch of it's life and received no more performance, I don't want to waste my time testing it again. Regardless, it does the job for me. I know people won't pay an extra £100, but as a one off purchase, I am pleased.
The binned chip will have been delidded hence the huge temp drop.

If you had done this to your original chip it may have got you similar temps at 5G.

Associate
The binned chip will have been delidded hence the huge temp drop.

If you had done this to your original chip it may have got you similar temps at 5G.

I was so tempted to de-lid my own, I was just about to buy the kit on Ebay till I saw these on sale and bottled out at the last minute. So far my new chip crashed out at 5ghz at 1.34v (Realbench stress test after 13mins) so I know I my minimum is 1.35v at 5ghz.
I will try 5.1ghz at a higher voltage and see how I do. If 5ghz ends up being the max then I will still be happy because of my temps alone.

Caporegime
When 8 Pack was a customer he was buying CPU's and graphics cards like crazy from me, then one day I said, dude what the hell are you doing with all this stuff you keep buying, he explained who he was, I gave him a job! :D

So you effectively lost OcUK one of their best customers and in fact pay him (losing OcUK even more money) to do what he used to do before but without all the sales generated for OcUK?

This is why in Business 101 you never hire a customer, especially a good one.

Does 8 pack for instance still buy tons of CPU's and GPU's or simply keep the best one aside for himself, then buy that one?

Soldato
I was so tempted to de-lid my own, I was just about to buy the kit on Ebay till I saw these on sale and bottled out at the last minute. So far my new chip crashed out at 5ghz at 1.34v (Realbench stress test after 13mins) so I know I my minimum is 1.35v at 5ghz.
I will try 5.1ghz at a higher voltage and see how I do. If 5ghz ends up being the max then I will still be happy because of my temps alone.
The I would pay a premium for a delid service even if it's £50 it saves me the money on a tool and saves me the time. Anything over and I'd probably do it myself.

Associate
So you effectively lost OcUK one of their best customers and in fact pay him (losing OcUK even more money) to do what he used to do before but without all the sales generated for OcUK?

Does 8 pack for instance still buy tons of CPU's and GPU's or simply keep the best one aside for himself, then buy that one?

Because Gibbo is looking at the bigger picture perhaps?

Great mate thanks. You reached world number one oc and helped most companies develop gpu, memory and mainboard. As well as your own designed case and Psu.

Man of Honour

8 Pack makes many times more money for OcUK now than he even did before Gibbo hired him.

In those days Gibbo could sell 8 Pack several HD 7970s and maybe make £50 margin on them, these days 8 Pack has his own range of PCs at OcUK some of which sell for up to 20k+ and have a very good margin on them.

I think Gibbo knows all about business 101.:)

Because Gibbo is looking at the bigger picture perhaps?

Exactly !!!

Here is part of the big picture

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/8pac...-6950x-and-intel-core-i7-7700k-fs-006-8p.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Man of Honour
Lol @ Reviews

has anyone actually bought one of these though?

No point in having £24K systems with nice profit margins if nobody buys them

OcUK are a business, there would be no point advertising high end systems if no one bought them.

Strangely enough I am typing this on a PC with 4 way SLI Pascal Titans a 6950X CPU and 3400mhz out of the box DDR4, so yes there is a market for these type of PCs.

Associate
Yes, I've seen that system. It's mental!!!

Lol @ Reviews

has anyone actually bought one of these though?

No point in having £24K systems with nice profit margins if nobody buys them
Other big ticket items have sold so I don't see why not. I'm sure Gibbo or 8 Pack will confirm?

I still don't think you get it. I've seen it previewed on websites and in magazines so it's great publicity for Overclockers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
Other big ticket items have sold so I don't see why not. I'm sure Gibbo or 8 Pack will confirm?

I still don't think you get it. I've seen it previewed on websites and in magazines so it's great publicity for Overclockers.

I do get it. But I've always thought of the custom PC market as a extremely niche market.

Out of all my friends and associates none of them have a custom built pc. They have all bought pre-made systems from the likes of Dell, HP, etc. None of them would even look at the websites or magazines this system was shown in.

So yeah great publicity for the very small niche market who looks at that kind of thing and who would likely already know about OcUK in the first place.

A great example of this was when I told my mate I was building a PC (as in a tower). He was like "do you even still get those? I thought those had died off when the laptop was invented." there was no point in me explaining why I was building a tower to them as obviously like the majority of people they aren't part of the target market.

So yeah it would be interesting to see if anyone has actually bought one.

Soldato
OcUK are a business, there would be no point advertising high end systems if no one bought them.

Strangely enough I am typing this on a PC with 4 way SLI Pascal Titans a 6950X CPU and 3400mhz out of the box DDR4, so yes there is a market for these type of PCs.
On the other hand if you don't advertise then nobody can buy them. :)

Soldato
Everyone needs a halo product, all the vendors do it, so why wouldn't e-tailers in the same business...

Are users in this country really that detached from reality that every time they see something expensive and it doesn't appeal to them, they think there simply must be some kind of injustice?

You're not the customer they're targeting. Just like those that moan about prices in general over the last 2 to 3 years aren't.

Back
Top Bottom