Most Overrated Movies of All Time

Associate
Hurt locker is one that I think is totally over rated!
Yes...
...and hell yes!

After watching both, I thought "Was that it?". Completely underwhelmed. And whilst watching Juno I thought the writer was obviously a woman who was a weirdo at school and who was just writing the whole thing as if she was the main character, so no actual thought required. Afterwards I found out it was a female writer who seemed like a goth, so I think I was right.

Soldato
This thread is going to be a mess, people will always buck the trend.

Avatar - yes it's not a ground breaking story, screenplay or direction. But that's not the point, the technology created to bring this to the screen is what was so impressive, a massive jump in film making. that's why it's a staple in modern cinema, just like;

It may be technologically great and ground breaking, but for me the completely lackluster story undermined the whole impact of the visuals, so much so that the film felt totally overrated to me.

Associate
It may be technologically great and ground breaking, but for me the completely lackluster story undermined the whole impact of the visuals, so much so that the film felt totally overrated to me.

I watched it (Avatar) a couple of weeks ago for the first time so didn't have the 3D visuals.

Have to say i thought it was a dreadful movie. It had clearly been made with visuals in mind but the story just seemed very weak and obvious.

Associate
Not sure how I feel about this thread.

On first thoughts I will say Inception. But I guess that's because it was so hyped up like the second coming, everyone went on about it. I watched it at the cinema and didn't understand why it was set apart from everything else.

I suppose it helps when most Hollywood put out is awful, lowers the bar somewhat.

I'll add Avatar to that also.

Caporegime
Requiem for a dream, the unrealistic portral of the effects of drug use and general lack of research done by the filmakers in general meant it lacked credibility and I couldn't take it seriously.

The Dark Knight, awful film, very unbelievable characters.

Quantum of solace, atrocious film, terrible videography in places and the plot was absurd.

Avatar, full of clichéd characters, and the plot has been done to death.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Blade Runner - tried watching it about 3 times over many years and it has never really captured my imagination. Pretty boring for the most part.

Inception - OK in places but the sort of film my wife hates and in this case I didn't really have any argument to explain why it was any good.

Apocalpyse Now - boring and got pretty wierd towards the end

The Shining - I'm sure it is good from a 'technical' perspective in terms of building tension blah blah, but I found it pretty dull and was waiting for it to really take off, but it never happened.

The Hurt Locker - good shout on this one, never a 6x Oscar winning film in a million years

As a general point although I haven't seen much of it in this thread, often when people mention films they consider overrated others are quick to jump in and tell them that they don't "get" the film, or that it needs to be watched multiple times.
In my view if a film is that good, the viewer should be able to find enjoyment/quality in it implicitly. It's not like jokes where you sometimes have to rely on a epiphany to "get" the joke, if you sit through a film for 2hrs it should deliver and not need to be explained (obviously some details you missed may need explanation, but the general premise of the film should be understood enough from a single viewing).

Something to consider for example is Memento, I keep hearing about how you need to watch it more than once, but I watched it about 1.3 times. Watched it a long time ago and really enjoyed it, then tried it again a couple of years ago and got bored about a third of the way through.

Last edited:
Associate
Gran Torino - Just rubbish, weak, unconvincing, Eastwood wtf ??

Blade Runner - Far too long, boring, Rutger Hauer = annoying.

The Dark Knight - terrible, fell asleep, absolute rubbish.

Memento - wtf ?

Johnny English - Somebody kill me

Back
Top Bottom