Most Overrated Movies of All Time

Soldato
You also used the dreaded rolleyes, though, that's the trouble :p

Yeah, that can be annoying, sorry 'bout that.:o

Many of the films posted I don't consider overrated, I've managed to enjoy a lot of them on some level or another.

Taken though is one of the few that I do consider overrated, it seems to receive universal praise, but it appears to me to be just a generic action flick, it's entertaining enough for one viewing but nothing special imo, and not a movie I'd probably ever feel compelled to re-watch.

Soldato
Apocalypse Now. Now don't get me wrong, it has that amazing 15-20mins or so, when you can smell the napalm in the morning. BUT the rest of the movie was slow, weird and went on for waaaaaaay too long.

Soldato
Kubrick is a director who tends to divide audiences. Personally I'm on the 'overrated' side of the debate not the 'you obviously didn't understand the subtext' side.

The Departed - Sure it's good. Just not as good as Infernal Affairs which it ripped off nearly line for line.
Heat - Yeah I know it has De-Niro AND Pacino in it. It just means you can't use the cast as an excuse for your mediocre mob movie.

Soldato
Kubrick is a director who tends to divide audiences. Personally I'm on the 'overrated' side of the debate not the 'you obviously didn't understand the subtext' side.

The Departed - Sure it's good. Just not as good as Infernal Affairs which it ripped off nearly line for line.
Heat - Yeah I know it has De-Niro AND Pacino in it. It just means you can't use the cast as an excuse for your mediocre mob movie.

You know it's a remake, right?

Associate
Godfather trilogy overrated? Thanks for enlightening me, chumps!:rolleyes: Why don't you all just stick to your braindead ****ing rom coms!:p

I'll get this out there early. I love the Godfather films.

However I think the issue with them is that they are long films. You have to be in the right frame of mind to watch them to really enjoy them. Luckily I was the first time I saw them, so now I will always enjoy them.

However if you aren't in that frame of mind when you first see them then you will probably struggle to enjoy them.

Overrated films for me;

Napoleon Dynamite
Thor
The Matrix - at the time it blew me away but I have watched it since and now it just feels "meh"
Inglorious ********
All of the Bourne films

Last edited:
Associate
The Matrix - at the time it blew me away but I have watched it since and now it just feels "meh"

Same but i think that's because the concepts and technology used have since been re-hashed and recycled by so many other movies.

Half the hype over the Matrix was down to the visual effects which now don't seem that amazing, but at the time they were groundbreaking.

Associate
Silence of the lambs and One Flew over the Cuckoos nest for me.

Just found them very boring. Probably because i didn't watch them until more recently and the hype just didn't match the movies.

Soldato
I didn't see the Alien series until a few months ago and I was pretty disappointed :\

The first one in particular was a bit silly in places, I guess it's one of those films that should have been watched many moons ago. I just found it a bit silly how unprepared elite special forces were at times. I guess it was made before film makers/writers took on professional advice when shooting films?

I didn't see the Alien series until a few months ago and I was pretty disappointed :\

The first one in particular was a bit silly in places, I guess it's one of those films that should have been watched many moons ago. I just found it a bit silly how unprepared elite special forces were at times. I guess it was made before film makers/writers took on professional advice when shooting films?

I watched the quadrilogy and they got progressively worse.
I did like the first one but it really is old - 1979 it was made iirc!

Soldato
Reason why they haven't been mentioned in because Terminator and Predator aren't overrated, they are rated exactly where they should be, awesome, pop corn action/sci-fi films.

Whether you like it or not is beside the point. that's taste, and the problem with the word 'Over-rated' when it comes to films.

Saying that if you don't think Drive is the bees knees, GTFO!

Soldato
Reason why they haven't been mentioned in because Terminator and Predator aren't overrated, they are rated exactly where they should be, awesome, pop corn action/sci-fi films.

Whether you like it or not is beside the point. that's taste, and the problem with the word 'Over-rated' when it comes to films.

Fair point.

Think I'll have to watch Drive to form an opinion!

Man of Honour
Drive is OK, but the first part is simply unforgivable slow. There is no excuse for such painfully non-existent dialogue.

Otherwise it's great.

Back
Top Bottom