Motorsport Off Topic Thread

The teams will have been working hard over the break, it's going to be interesting to see how they measure up this weekend. I reckon we'll see Verstappen return to the front of the field.
Max has already won the title. Norris is just not good enough. Even if Max's car is still not top dog, he will easily wrap up the title with a few races to spare

Yeah, I don't think there's a title fight on - but that doesn't mean that Red Bull can sit back and relax.

The FOM and Media have to keep up the interest somehow! Can't wait to see all the tables every race on how Lando can win the championship as long as Max has 1 DNF, an 8th place finish and gets crushed by Santa's Sleigh.

But yeah, the teams will have worked hard. It's not like the summer break where the teams are forced to shut down, the Wind Tunnels, CFD computers and Sims have probably been in overdrive.

Max has already won the title. Norris is just not good enough. Even if Max's car is still not top dog, he will easily wrap up the title with a few races to spare

Yeah, I don't think there's a title fight on - but that doesn't mean that Red Bull can sit back and relax.

A couple of DNFs or finishes outside of the points is all it takes to bring the competition back though, especially if Max is still in the middle of the pack increasing the likelihood.

Comparison of the 1994 engine technical regs vs 2024. In a spoiler because it's a big image:

sjAP8Ic.png

I didn't believe the 1994 version was that rudimentary, but it is legit. Convergence has brought the teams performance closer, but arguably at the cost of innovation.

Went to the F1 Exhibition at the Excel centre today. Picked a good day for it. Was a lovely day in London.

Some interesting things there. Not much new for lunatics like me who read the technical regs every year (I really need another hobby.... ;)) But was nice to see the cars and parts showing the differences over the years.

First things you see is a Sharknose Ferrari (very faithful replica, all the originals were destroyed by Enzo), Lotus 72, McLaren MP4/13 and a Williams FW07. Was nice to see the McLaren with the number 1 on the nose, the Williams with the number 1 on the nose, the Lotus with the number 1 on the nose, and the Ferrari with the number 2 on the nose. :cry:

Having the McLaren MP4/4 and the Mercedes W09 back to back shows how much the cars have changed, and not necessarily for the better tbh.

There were some iconic trophies there as well. Including the RAC cup from Silverstone which is a thing of beauty, and the absolutely iconic 1993 Donnington Grand Prix trophy (if you know, you know ;))

Pretty much the last thing is the remains of Grosjean's survival cell. Jesus... :eek:

Oh and the merch shop, naturally. It's... not great. With all the Lotus cars and parts showing development and the interviews they do. Nothing from any team that isn't current. So much was there on loan from Classic Team Lotus and not even a badge. :( But you can buy a £200 book about Vanwall. :confused:

Last edited:
We went last weekend too. I enjoyed it -- there's a lot of info to digest so you have to make an effort. If you skim everything you'd probably think it wasn't all that great. It was great to see the cars up close.

The one thing that annoyed me greatly was you weren't allowed to take in any water! For an exhibition that can take you around 1.5-2hrs to get through, we all came out absolutely parched!

Oh and the merch shop, naturally. It's... not great.
Yeah the shop was very disappointing. No McLaren stuff at all, we noticed :confused:

Did anyone have a go on the sim, we didn't :o

We went last weekend too. I enjoyed it -- there's a lot of info to digest so you have to make an effort. If you skim everything you'd probably think it wasn't all that great. It was great to see the cars up close.

The one thing that annoyed me greatly was you weren't allowed to take in any water! For an exhibition that can take you around 1.5-2hrs to get through, we all came out absolutely parched!

Yeah the shop was very disappointing. No McLaren stuff at all, we noticed :confused:

Did anyone have a go on the sim, we didn't :o
No water was ridiculous. It was a lovely warm day yesterday so we came out desperate to find somewhere for a drink. Had an ice cream instead.

Did think about a cap, but for £45. Naah.

As for the simulator. Unless you booked VIP tickets it was £17.50, so no.

No water was ridiculous. It was a lovely warm day yesterday so we came out desperate to find somewhere for a drink. Had an ice cream instead.
Glad it wasn't just us. We didn't do the exhibition until 5pm and by the time we came out we had to run straight round to Canary Wharf for our dinner reservation. By the time we got there we were all feeling kinda rough from no water. Typicaly the restaurant was super slow at taking our order after seating us... so we got a round of beers in and pretty much downed them and two glasses of water each. The waitress was like :confused:
Thank goodness they're dropping the silly extra point for the fastest lap next year.
So do we chalk that up as another rule changed because RB took advantage... ;)

It was kinda silly, in the end it just came down to who had a free pitstop at the end of the race.

Wonder why they didn't just restrict fastest lap to those that could actually score the point.. ?!?!?!??!??!?!?

Might have made the fastest lap +1 point decision more interesting..

Another talking point heading into the race weekend. Team has not been named but this article seems to hint at RB.
It was RB, and seems they have walked away without any kind of penalty like Ferrari got. Exactly what is the point of rules?

Back
Top Bottom