MOTs are changing from January 2012 - some of these will catch a lot of people out

Soldato
I don't get the cat bit, surely if your vehicles emissions are within the required range, then it wouldn't be an issue.
You can get sport cats anyway, which barely affect performance.

Associate
I did read a while ago that the drivers seat adjustments had to work as well, mine has electronic adjustment and hasnt worked for ages, its in the right position for me so I havnt bothered getting it fixed, I suppose I will have to now

Soldato
[TW]Fox;20618007 said:
It was widely assumed that the new changes included this requirement. However since the release of the test manual reflecting the new changes it has become apparent that this was a misunderstanding. The MOT manual is clear on the position of HID's and headlamp washers.

Thanks for confirming. I was a bit miffed having to change to normal bulbs even though in my last MOT the tester said my headlights were perfectly aligned.

Soldato
OP
Oh **** *** :mad:

My 306 is De-Catted :(

EDIT - But it's a diesel, which only has a smoke test? ;)

Go read rule 7.1 if the car was fitted one, it must be physically present in the MOT. As other's have suggested; you just keep a cat in your garage for special occasions.

Hmm. How's that gonna work? They gonna have a massive database that says whether there was a catalyst when it left the factory?
They have one that says how the ABS light is supposed to work pinned to the wall in the form of an A1 poster. So probably.

[TW]Fox;20618242 said:
Agreed. Lets hope your average MOT tester can read the manual better than BigglesPIP can :eek:
Ha! Was a tester here in Hampshire that told me the HID and warning light parts. I don't think he'd been on the refresher course yet.

Last edited:
Associate
I did read a while ago that the drivers seat adjustments had to work as well, mine has electronic adjustment and hasnt worked for ages, its in the right position for me so I havnt bothered getting it fixed, I suppose I will have to now

Mines the same unsure how to remove the drivers seat on passat :(

Man of Honour
You posted a scaremongering thread in which 2 3rds of the points you made were plain wrong and easily disproved using the document you linked to and 3 minutes of reading! Bit more than a 'mistake' :p

Man of Honour
Would this not void your mot and insurance if you were involved in a crash
And they found out / checked if it was de-catted?

Don't flame me just asking :)

Given the amount of misinformation in this thread I think its highly appropriate somebody trots out the old void insurance line.

We just need somebody to say that you'll fail if your spare is bald next.

Associate
[TW]Fox;20618746 said:
Given the amount of misinformation in this thread I think its highly appropriate somebody trots out the old void insurance line.

We just need somebody to say that you'll fail if your spare is bald next.

Claim down claim down claim Fox

I was only asking the question?

Back
Top Bottom