MOTs are changing from January 2012 - some of these will catch a lot of people out

Lum

Lum

Soldato
Well mine just passed as a non-cat car.

I'm still annoyed though. The tester entered ~60,000 miles as the odometer reading when it's supposed to be ~60,000 kilometers, a difference of 20,000 miles. He's refusing to fix this claiming it doesn't matter. It matters to me as my car is one of the few Japanese imports with a completely genuine odometer reading.

Man of Honour
I'm still annoyed though. The tester entered ~60,000 miles as the odometer reading when it's supposed to be ~60,000 kilometers, a difference of 20,000 miles. He's refusing to fix this claiming it doesn't matter. It matters to me as my car is one of the few Japanese imports with a completely genuine odometer reading.

If you are going to drive around in the United Kingdom, a car which measures distance in miles, with an odometer that counts up in kilometres then what do you expect? Almost all Japanese imports are converted to count up in miles when they are imported. You cannot blame him for not realising you hadn't bothered to have yours done.

Lum

Lum

Soldato
I specifically told him when I booked it in that the odometer was still in kilometres and I would like it recorded as such on the MOT certificate. It should also have been fairly obvious that something odd is going on when the stock speedo also reads in kilometers but the little digital HUD on top of the dash reads in miles and thus gives a different number.

As an aside, is it just me or does the new MOT certificate look like something half the people on this forum could replicate convincingly with just MS Publisher and a halfway decent laser printer?

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Got my MOT on my Golf tomorrow so wish me luck, I've timed it perfect if it goes straight through as I'll end up with 13 months. Then it'll be back home to the web to drop 220 on a years tax :(

Man of Honour
As an aside, is it just me or does the new MOT certificate look like something half the people on this forum could replicate convincingly with just MS Publisher and a halfway decent laser printer?

It doesn't matter, it's just a receipt, not a certificate in the traditional sense of the word.

Associate
If I was feeling particularly cynical I'd probably say this is an attempt to get more "bangers" off the road in an effort to ruin the cheap used car market and revive the auto industry.

Man of Honour
If I was feeling particularly cynical I'd probably say this is an attempt to get more "bangers" off the road in an effort to ruin the cheap used car market and revive the auto industry.

Unless it's part of an EU wide directive to get "bangers" off the road, then you'd be wrong. Older, less equipped cars are actually less likely to fall foul of the new regulations than newer ones.

Associate
My wifes mini goes in for it's MOT soon - the airbags disabled for baby seat on the front seat. I'm told a garage has to do this and there is no "switch" for turning it back on?

Is this true? Am I likely to encounter problems with the airbag light being on for this reason?

depends if you have the airbag disabling function optional extra. Open the passenger door and on the normally hidden side of the dash you will see a black key switch.

more here:- http://www.mini2.com/forum/minis-children-parents/74902-airbag-deactivation.html

if not then its a job for the garage.

Its stupid the garage has control of a saftey feature like that, in other cars you can set it on or off so when an adult gets in they dont kiss plastic in a crash!

Associate
Well mine just passed as a non-cat car.

He can't "fix it" as such, he'd have to do a whole new mot and re-record the results with the correct KM entered. I've hit the wrong button and not noticed by accident when entering mileage and it's a pain in the ass when you have to go do a whole test again just for that.

The eagle eye'd will have noticed that half the new MOT regulations havn't actually started yet, things like HID's still aren't part of the test yet.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/MoT - Issue 52 - Dec 2011.pdf

Caporegime
A did a search and this appears not to have been posted:

http://mottesters.co.uk/files/special notices/MOT Inspection Manual.pdf

The most notable changes are:

More warning lights are a failure.
This will include the airbags, ESP, and seatbelt...

The back doors now have to open
Someone was asking about doors recently.

Decat = FAIL, regardless of actual emissions or fuel type
Doh! Rule 7.1, reason for failure number 3.

There's A LOT of other changes.

I can see a lot of cars that are currently running around with the airbag light on getting scrapped.

Just got another ticket for the year two days ago. My car has the pre-cat removed with a stainless exhaust manifold. My car also has JDM imported factory xenon headlights. No self leveling and no washer system.

My car passed without any advisories.

Caporegime
Just got another ticket for the year two days ago. My car has the pre-cat removed with a stainless exhaust manifold. My car also has JDM imported factory xenon headlights. No self leveling and no washer system.

Same here, hope I pass too!

I got response on my headlight washers... it dosen't count for me as I don't have Xenons, but some testers aren't the sharpest tools out there and some can't tell the difference between reflectors and projectors :eek:

Caporegime
Same here, hope I pass too!

I got response on my headlight washers... it dosen't count for me as I don't have Xenons, but some testers aren't the sharpest tools out there and some can't tell the difference between reflectors and projectors :eek:

Mine are reflectors. Albeit in a clear lens and are shielded. They do have a leveling system but manually inside the car. I did mention this to the MOT tester as I have been using him for the past 6 years and he said the same as everyone has said on here. As long as the beam is set up correctly there should be no problems.

Caporegime
If you have reflectors you can't have Xenons?

The second part of my post was about my Mondeo which has the headlight washer mechanism but the wording was a bit vague on whether they have to work.

Caporegime
If you have reflectors you can't have Xenons?

The second part of my post was about my Mondeo which has the headlight washer mechanism but the wording was a bit vague on whether they have to work.

IMAG0136.jpg

It's etched into the glass ;)

Back
Top Bottom