MOTs are changing from January 2012 - some of these will catch a lot of people out

Caporegime
How do the MOT testers know I have washers? Mondeo ST's have the holes in the bumper for washers, but I have reflectors, ergo, no washer jets...

Associate
I have my cars MOT'd at a local place which i have used for 5 years so know the guy well. After my car failed this year on a ball joint which i replaced and then noticed the other side had a split rubber thought he had missed it. Talking to him on the retest he told me from Jan 2012 it would fail on the split rubber where now its play only.

Good job as all 3 ball joint would fail next year so ive done the lot anyway.

Soldato
I also just found out that they are moving the driving age to 18 I'll start a new thread on it with the information now, unlucky to the under 17's reading this born after the 1st of June

Man of Honour
If the lights not wet when you go round to the front??
Looking forward to seeing some ghetto modded washer jets fitted to bumpers in the near future.

No, he is saying how do they know if he has washers fitted. Non washer fitted Mondeos have the same cover as the ones with washers. So how do you know if his car has defective washers or no washers? You can't tell.

Soldato
Im reading mixed info here, if the EML is on is that an instant MOT fail?

I like the OP have not read the new guidelines and therefore feel just as qualified to say that yes, if the EML is on it is indeed an instant fail and you have to pay the new retesting fine of £155 + retesting free if you are not within your current MOT period.

Man of Honour
I have my cars MOT'd at a local place which i have used for 5 years so know the guy well. After my car failed this year on a ball joint which i replaced and then noticed the other side had a split rubber thought he had missed it. Talking to him on the retest he told me from Jan 2012 it would fail on the split rubber where now its play only.

Good job as all 3 ball joint would fail next year so ive done the lot anyway.

This is correct, ball joint rubbers/covers being split will be a failure point from next year. I've always replaced split covers anyway.

Soldato
Booked the Dag Dag in today for its MOT on Thursday this week.

Asked the tester (deliberately) about whether he'd fail it for having no Particle Filter/Cat. He was confident it would fail and mentioned the new rule!

So I brought up the whole, But it's a particle filter NOT a cat argument.. so he walks into his little office place with me. Sits at the computer and reads through the new rules and regs.. after five means of reading and the odd phone call he says "Nothing in there about Particle Filters on Diesels, Only Catalytic Converters"

:cool:

True story bro'.

Soldato
Booked the Dag Dag in today for its MOT on Thursday this week.

Asked the tester (deliberately) about whether he'd fail it for having no Particle Filter/Cat. He was confident it would fail and mentioned the new rule!

So I brought up the whole, But it's a particle filter NOT a cat argument.. so he walks into his little office place with me. Sits at the computer and reads through the new rules and regs.. after five means of reading and the odd phone call he says "Nothing in there about Particle Filters on Diesels, Only Catalytic Converters"

:cool:

True story bro'.

Took me over an hour the other week to explain to a tester that didn't understand the new rules that the "if it was made with a cat it has to have its cat" thing doesn't apply to pre cat test cars >.<

VOSA should have made all this new stuff clearer to them.

Soldato
Took it in this morning to be told that the VOSA guy was around yesterday and that my car does indeed come with a cat as standard :mad:

I told him to not bother putting it through the MOT and instead to have a gander around the car to see if anything major needs fixing.. he charges £10 for this.

Not impressed! :(

Soldato
My wifes mini goes in for it's MOT soon - the airbags disabled for baby seat on the front seat. I'm told a garage has to do this and there is no "switch" for turning it back on?

Is this true? Am I likely to encounter problems with the airbag light being on for this reason?

Back
Top Bottom