MOTs are changing from January 2012 - some of these will catch a lot of people out

Soldato
Go read rule 7.1 if the car was fitted one, it must be physically present in the MOT. As other's have suggested; you just keep a cat in your garage for special occasions.

Rule 7.1 on Method of Inspection, "On vehicles that qualify for a full cat emissions test, check the presence of the catalytic converter"

My 306 has a Particle Filter, Not a Cat. Infact it now has nothing.. as I cut it out and replaced it with a straight pipe.

I have no Garage special :p

So does it pass or fail? Apparantly Diesels don't have Full Cat Emissions Tests.

Man of Honour
So are we now saying that 100% of the points Biggles made in his opening post are false?

I think he should stick to posting threads about things he actually knows something about, it would avoid future embarrasment :p

Soldato
OP
Rule 7.1 on Method of Inspection, "On vehicles that qualify for a full cat emissions test, check the presence of the catalytic converter"

My 306 has a Particle Filter, Not a Cat. Infact it now has nothing.. as I cut it out and replaced it with a straight pipe.

I have no Garage special :p

So does it pass or fail? Apparantly Diesels don't have Full Cat Emissions Tests.

for a start, if you never had a cat you don't have a decat.

A catalytic converter missing where one was fitted as standard

If you did have a cat:
The reason for rejection is very clear, the method of inspection if carried out to the letter will miss the decat. :eek:

Man of Honour
If you did have a cat:
The reason for rejection is very clear, the method of inspection if carried out to the letter will miss the decat. :eek:

It's also very clear under which circumstances a check for the presence of a cat should take place:

On vehicles that qualify for a full cat emissions test, check the presence of the catalytic converter.

If the vehicle doesnt qualify for a full cat emissions test there is no check for the presence of said cat.

Stop being an arse.

Only if you stop making things up and posting them on the internet where people might beleive you and go off thinking the wrong thing?

Soldato
Beat me to it! :p I'll more than likely have a word with the MOT tester before I drop the car off. They're friendly enough round here in the Countryside.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
My 1995 Eunos (Import) was put through a non-cat test despite having one fitted, so I assume this will still apply and I can de-cat away? I'll be making it swappable anyway.

Commissario
Shock as Biggles and Fox conjure up an argument!

I need to get one of my headlight washers looked at as I believe I'm due to fail if this doesn't work.

Soldato
Aww, I was hoping all HIDs required washers and levellers so we could get rid of the chavs that drive round with their horrendous beam pattern blinding and dazzling everybody :(

Lum

Lum

Soldato
[TW]Fox;20618909 said:
If the vehicle doesnt qualify for a full cat emissions test there is no check for the presence of said cat.

Correct and there are plenty of UK spec cars that came with cats as standard but do not qualify for a cat test, I can think of one that was sold as late as 1994 and takes a non-cat test.

And yeah, when I decatted mine, I had an additional silencer put in it's place, so there is a huge round can in the middle of the exhaust about where the cat should be. Not that it matters as my car goes for a non-cat test, but it's unlikely you could tell.

Back
Top Bottom