Mountain Biking

Associate
Great ride round the Marin this morning in constant rain and some very strong winds. Still knocked an hour off my previous times though :eek: Got a lot fitter over winter, wasn't even too knackered today.

How's the new section of the Marin? Gotta be honest, I didn't particularly enjoy it around a year ago when I last visited (before the new part was opened).

Where are people riding this week / this weekend? I'm heading to Bike Park Wales for the first time on Thursday. Not usually one for park riding, preferring equal pedaling to descending, but I'm looking forward to it nonetheless.

Soldato
How's the new section of the Marin? Gotta be honest, I didn't particularly enjoy it around a year ago when I last visited (before the new part was opened).
There's at least 2 new parts in that case. I never rode it before the one you're talking about so not sure the extent of the "new" bit but it's good. They've remade one of the last few sections too which makes for some pretty big jumps if ridden properly (which I don't, they are out of my league)

Caporegime
@Begbie — how's the wrist?

Off on Thursday :D

One fracture has went back in position, the other may never heal correctly. May just cause some discomfort, only time will see. I'm desperate to just get back on the bike. Did you get a wrist strap, and how was it? All your pain gone now? According to DOC, I'll be doing 4 weeks phsyio! Work is going to have a fit :D

So much work to do now!

Full suspension is in bits, XT groupset to go on, vorsprung suspension upgrade/service, wheels to sort out. Both bikes to be cleaned. Headset bearings to be changed. Reverb, and both brakes to be bleed. Glad the HT is in a rideable state!

Last edited:
Associate
There's at least 2 new parts in that case. I never rode it before the one you're talking about so not sure the extent of the "new" bit but it's good. They've remade one of the last few sections too which makes for some pretty big jumps if ridden properly (which I don't, they are out of my league)

Ah that final section is epic to be fair. It almost makes up for the rest of it being a bit average. There were jumps there before that weren't too big - about 8 feet of table top - maybe they've added more then?

Soldato
Gents, going to be getting myself a new bike under bike 2 work, so will have 1k to spemd and maybe bit on top.

Majority of my riding will be up on the south downs, I'm thinking 27.5 HT but apart from that I'm a bit clueless with the current mtb world. I would ideally like 1x11 as rest of my fleet is now 11 so be easier for spare chains etc. Same for brakes as I have shimano rs785 on both my cx and disc braked road bike. So will make buying bulk spares much easier if I can keep it consistent.

Saw Evans had a Scott scale 765 I think for 1400 from 2016, just want something to be able to jump and ride and have some fun when not training on the road.
Bumping this. Anyone?

Associate
Bumping this. Anyone?

Have any MTB mags done their big hard tail tests yet this year? MBR do a hard tail of the year, but I suppose you'd need to look at the 2016 one. The good thing is £1k gets you on a nice hard tail.

Where can you use your voucher apart from Evans? I would at least have a look at Boardman as the £1k will go a lot further. I also am a fan of Evans' Pinnacle bikes for their value. I have a Pinnacle cyclocross bike and it is very well made. I've ridden it 4400km in a year and it takes so much abuse. I would be happy on a Pinnacle MTB too. For example:
https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-iroko-2-2017-mountain-bike-EV275644

Soldato
Off on Thursday :D

One fracture has went back in position, the other may never heal correctly. May just cause some discomfort, only time will see. I'm desperate to just get back on the bike. Did you get a wrist strap, and how was it? All your pain gone now? According to DOC, I'll be doing 4 weeks phsyio! Work is going to have a fit :D

So much work to do now!

Full suspension is in bits, XT groupset to go on, vorsprung suspension upgrade/service, wheels to sort out. Both bikes to be cleaned. Headset bearings to be changed. Reverb, and both brakes to be bleed. Glad the HT is in a rideable state!

Sorry to hear one fracture may not completely heal! Hopefully it's not too much of an issue.

It must be bad if you need physio - are you private or NHS?

I got the Troy Lee Designs 5205 wrist wrap, and I've been for two rides around the local trails now. Both times I did two loops of the trail and without the wrap I doubt I would have been able to make the second loop both times. It provides a lot of support on top of the wrist (stopping it from bending back on itself) but I would like a bit more support underneath as well.
By the end it was definitely aching.

Day to day it's fine now unless I do something unusual - carry heavy shopping etc.

I thought the biggest problem I would have is not being able to rotate it. That's fine now but I've found I can't completely bend it in on itself - it means I can't play guitar at the moment because I can't form bar chords. :(

Good luck getting your fleet back in working order. :D

Caporegime
Sorry to hear one fracture may not completely heal! Hopefully it's not too much of an issue.

It must be bad if you need physio - are you private or NHS?

I got the Troy Lee Designs 5205 wrist wrap, and I've been for two rides around the local trails now. Both times I did two loops of the trail and without the wrap I doubt I would have been able to make the second loop both times. It provides a lot of support on top of the wrist (stopping it from bending back on itself) but I would like a bit more support underneath as well.
By the end it was definitely aching.

Day to day it's fine now unless I do something unusual - carry heavy shopping etc.

I thought the biggest problem I would have is not being able to rotate it. That's fine now but I've found I can't completely bend it in on itself - it means I can't play guitar at the moment because I can't form bar chords. :(

Good luck getting your fleet back in working order. :D

Damn, that's been like 2-3 weeks now since you've been out of cast?

I might grab one myself, though I've convinced myself it's going to be fine as soon as it's out of the cast.

I'm private, not currently living in the UK, so the healthcare is actually quite good. Sucks about the guitar! Something I keep meaning to get round to learning!

Soldato
I can't recommend swimming as a form of physio enough. I broke my arm badly in a motorcycle crash, both bones in my forearm up near my elbow broke, have metalwork in there for life holding it together, but made sure I had physio and did swimming 3x a week for 6 months once the cast was off. Have full movement and rarely notice it now.

Caporegime
I can't recommend swimming as a form of physio enough. I broke my arm badly in a motorcycle crash, both bones in my forearm up near my elbow broke, have metalwork in there for life holding it together, but made sure I had physio and did swimming 3x a week for 6 months once the cast was off. Have full movement and rarely notice it now.

Awesome, I have a pool a few metres away. Oh and the sea a few minutes drive away. I shall give it a try if I don't heal quicker than expected.

That sounds awful! 6 months to heal from that is good going!

Back
Top Bottom