MP Jo Cox murdered in West Yorkshire [Thread title edited]

Caporegime
Yea your right, it's the remain campaign that's gone too far here, not the people celebrating her murder.

wrtweets.png

https://mobile.twitter.com/NANorthEast_/status/743497714353246209?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

ds4.png

ds3.png

Onenday hurduf we'll teach to the differnce betwen recognised spokespeople and random lunatics.

...one day

Associate
From what I’m seeing on social media, Remain’s desperate attempt to use Jo’s death isn’t just low, it’s rightly causing a lot of anger and disgust. They really have gone too far.

Indeed - I'm as appallled by this act as anyone: she may have been on the other end of the political spectrum to me, but her killing is still an attack on democracy just the same and robs a husband of his wife and their children of their mother.

Out-ers that I follow on Twitter have been nothing but polite and compassionate since the story broke, but the amount of conclusion-jumping, guilt by association and sheer bile that they have received has shown the British Left at its nauseating worst.

I wonder if the Left's reaction would have been as vitriolic had Jo Cox:

a) been a Tory
b) campaigning for Out

Or a combination of both. I highly suspect not.

Man of Honour
This is my own opinion without having read too much about the background of the individual that perpetrated the act, but to me the fact that political posturing is taking place now despite it being that which aided in bringing us to this situation in the first place is appalling.

Extremes on both sides are guilty here, and taking this act and trying to make it suit your own agenda is exacerbating the problem. There are individuals who are genuinely scared and are not looking at facts and stories in the cold light of day. They are being led by people with an agenda and that is plain wrong and has resulted in the death of a good, respected person with a family that now has no mother.

I live near to the place this act was committed, and had a leaflet through today from Vote Leave. I'm not saying this is any more than coincidence in all probability, but this could have been a targeted drop around the area in light of what has happened.

The leaflet is titled 'OFFICIAL INFORMATION ABOUT THE REFERENDUM', purports to be an official document, seems to be neutral and just sharing facts, but is not at all and is issued by the vote leave campaign directly. Both campaigns have raised the cynic in me so as to immediately distrust anything at all that is said.

Soldato
Indeed - I'm as appallled by this act as anyone: she may have been on the other end of the political spectrum to me, but her killing is still an attack on democracy just the same and robs a husband of his wife and their children of their mother.

Out-ers that I follow on Twitter have been nothing but polite and compassionate since the story broke, but the amount of conclusion-jumping, guilt by association and sheer bile that they have received has shown the British Left at its nauseating worst.

I wonder if the Left's reaction would have been as vitriolic had Jo Cox:

a) been a Tory
b) campaigning for Out

Or a combination of both. I highly suspect not.

I dunno, had she been campaigning for 'out' and someone from the wider EU had committed the crime, do you think there would be anything other than "OMG IMMIGRANTS!!!111" anywhere?

It's a bit holier than thou to suggest that one campaign side is a shining example.

Not suggesting that it's right to use it to gain advantage in either case but the issue here is not either of the campaigns - its what has become acceptable to publish and post in media, social or otherwise, to further a political agenda.

Associate
When a politician is murdered in a politically motivated attack, it's hardly politicising the event to talk about the politics behind what happened.

Unless I've missed something in the last 24 hours, this has not yet been proven to be anything other than a random act by some nutjob or even of Ms Cox intervening in a pre-existing argument between her killer and another individual?

Precisely the same conclusion jumping that I referred to earlier and precisely the same conclusion jumping that the Left howl about whenever there's a murder committed by someone who is a Muslim fundamentalist.

Caporegime
Unless I've missed something in the last 24 hours, this has not yet been proven to be anything other than a random act by some nutjob or even of Ms Cox intervening in a pre-existing argument between her killer and another individual?

Multiple witnesses report the attacker as shouting "Britain first". There doesn't seem to be anything to reports that she intervened, rather there are reports of people trying to pull him off her and a 77-pensioner being stabbed when he tried to help her.

Caporegime

I don't really want to comment on the implications for mental health treatment in this country, on the implications of facism or terrorism or anything else.

The only thing I really want to comment on is the fact that it sounds like the local community has had someone who cared, and made a real difference, for them taken away, and that a family has had its heart cut out, and that is a tragedy.

Back
Top Bottom