US: Mr. Robot

Soldato
Very good theory - Mr.Robot/the father is not a figment of dissociative identity disorder, he's hacking back (from outside) into his son's 'dream world' to help destabilise the manufactured E-corp 'reality' and bring it down. I like it.

you guys are giving them too much credit :p.

They haven't got a clue what their doing, if they did they wouldn't have wasted the first 5 episodes on utter nonsense.

Soldato
I have to say I am going to have to watch the whole series again once its over..

I will say the soundtrack, particularly the 80s/90s stuff is superb! I noticed a track from the film Hardware from 1990! Deep pull that one lol! :D

Soldato
Just watched the last episode of the season. What a mess. The writers are trying so hard to make us figure out what is actually going on that it's become tiresome.

Is Tyrrell actually alive and not in Eliots head like Mr.Robot? The phone call with Angela at the end makes you think he is. OR is Angela in Eliots head too!?

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Just watched the last episode of the season. What a mess. The writers are trying so hard to make us figure out what is actually going on that it's become tiresome.

Is Tyrrell actually alive and not in Eliots head like Mr.Robot? The phone call with Angela at the end makes you think he is. OR is Angela in Eliots head too!?

Although I'm borderline giving up on this show, especially after this "season finale" and thus, to a degree - no longer care - I'll still share my take on it.

Despite how much bull excrement the writers have been tossing across the same paddock from one pile to another throughout this season, even the maddest, made up on the spot, lindeloffist writing has to anchor viewers belief somewhere. To me such anchor in this show is Dominique. What we see her do and show is what happens "for real" for real (as in - opposite to what Elliot is telling us happens for real). So I would say - what you see on Dominiques board in the final episode is the real thing - real people. Wellick is real, Angela is real, Darlene is real.

After the trippy gaping fish "is the key in the room" episode last week I thought the reveal of the season would be that there are more unsuspecting madmen running around the same revolution - that Angela and Darlene are the same person or Wellick and Alderson are the same person (Joanna spoke to Elliot in Danish, Alderson is more believably Scandinavian name than Wellick, and so on). But the writers play this season was not to shock us with "they are not real", but to make us doubt everything, jump to far reaching conclusions, then shock us with "everyone you thought didn't exist is real". You see? Mmmmkay?

Btw, well timed that Emmy, I bet this **** wouldn't get third season without nomination and victory.

Last edited:
Soldato
I see but what about those phone calls Elliott and Tyrells wife got, it sounded like someone in pain or struggling. That same sound was heard when Angela was on the phone right at the end of the episode... what the heck is going on with that?

To me I thought that sound was Tyrell captured somewhere but now we know it was that CTO playing games with Tyrells wife for revenge. So why did we hear that in the final scene? Was that Eliott in pain after being shot... but then why did we hear that same soudn when Elliott picked up the phone in prison?

Aaaggghh I just don't care anymore

Soldato
I would say that they are really trying as hard as they can to completely confuse the viewers with double/triple switches/twists but they are just flying over most viewers heads leaving them utterly confused. Its pretty convoluted really and I am surprised that it has been renewed for S3 after the terrible viewing figure drop.

I wonder if they have renewed it so all the hacker geeks don't get miffed and start hacking the producers of the show.. :D

Gotta say the blonde girl looks weird at times, in the first series she mostly looked like she was trying to squeeze a fart out without anyone hearing. That said she is utterly stunning when she smiles like she has done a few times this season... Oh and that nerdy/tattooed FBI agent is certainly another subdued beauty.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
I would say that they are really trying as hard as they can to completely confuse the viewers with double/triple switches/twists but they are just flying over most viewers heads leaving them utterly confused. Its pretty convoluted really

We all want intelligent, convoluted, confusing shows. That's why most of us in this thread fell in love with this show in season 1. What nobody wants is another show full of lindelofisms. By that I mean a show where writers either don't have enough material for number of episodes ordered or worse yet, don't really know what to do with the plot in a continuation of a story they only penned for a single season, and they just paddle along by adding more and more mysteries and "WTF" cliffhanger moments every five minutes without resolving anything. We've all seen Twin Peaks and we've all seen Lost. That's enough.

Nobody has time for another ***** up incoherent screw up of a story spanning across several years just to be resolved with "whoosh, and then they all woke up in their beds" or "tada, they were dead all along, but not really". We don't need another show that keeps adding two giant polar bears shaking trees in the jungle, three smoke monsters and one time moving cog wheel sticking out of the wall "bovine excrement devices" in every episode just to keep the audience jaws dropped. Ever. Ever again. Making this stuff up as you go along, all smoke and no mirrors is no longer valid tactic to move story along - if Sam Esmail doesn't have exit strategy, he needs to buy one online extra pronto.

Oh and that nerdy/tattooed FBI agent is certainly another subdued beauty.

Daughter of Meryl Streep. True story.

Last edited:

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Was that the end of the series, I must have completely missed something as I'm well confused...

Not the only one mate. Absolute mess imo. What were they trying to achieve? The pace was all over the place, the story was confusing and it ended up to be some psycho drivel nonsense. Filling the gaps with boring scenes with the wife and EVOcorp boss.

At the end of it did anyone actually care? I didnt. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Not the only one mate. Absolute mess imo. What were they trying to achieve? The pace was all over the place, the story was confusing and it ended up to be some psycho drivel nonsense. Filling the gaps with boring scenes with the wife and EVOcorp boss.

At the end of it did anyone actually care? I didnt. :rolleyes:

No, I was just pleased it was over. What a shambles. Worst 2nd series I can remember.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Yeah, it was so disjoined and overlapping that around episode 6 I was speculating that what we were watching from Elliot's story perspective was non-linear in terms of time (kind of like "Memento"). To me it was evident throughout the entire season that time was somehow relevant to everything in this opaque story - the makers would point our focus to it again and again - from countless single shot scenes "in real time", through Whiterose's obsession with time in beeping 1 minute advancements, her conversation with agent Dom about "alternate timelines" to the last sentence uttered by Leon in coda - "Do you have the time?". But man - was I wrong - it made no difference to season's story in the end - it was just another McGuffin to add incoherence.

Also - guys - just think how many characters we followed in detail turned out to be completely redundant in the end. I mean - even Joanna. We kept watching entire chunks of episodes dedicated to her slow, calculated, carefully arranged, premeditated attempts to frame someone else for the murder perpetrated by her husband and run some sort of god father like scenarios where she turns up with bodyguards in black SUVs at random places that Elliot attends etc. And for what? Entire season worth of actions of that character is made completely irrelevant in the end - her husband is primarily wanted by FBI for "five/nine" hack, not for being suspect in a murder case, surely someone already interviewed her and she's very much aware of it. So much effort, so much focus, and in the end - "bubkes".

Back
Top Bottom