• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI 290/290X Gaming Edition Thread

Caporegime
guys please. whats the safe recommended temp under load ? and what temp does the throttling start?
im asking because i will be receiving my card in the next hour and want to overclock a little bit
thanx

Card is fine up to 95C. It will begin to throttle at 94c. As long as you keep the card at or below 94c you will be fine. If overclocking heavily (15% overclock or higher) then you'll be wanting to keep the core a bit cooler, say in the 80-90C range. :)

Caporegime
thanx a lot matt, i wont be going mental with it just a little bit over stock
and power slider on full yeh?

You'll be fine. Just focus on the core as thats where you gain the most. I'll be amazed if you can't hit 1100 core on stock voltage. I can undervolt my cards by -0.050 and hit 1100/1250. Handy for keeping temps down. :)

Put the power at +50% in afterburner and forget all about it. Don't unlock overdrive in CCC, just use the latest beta of afterburner to control clocks and fan speed.

Associate
You'll be fine. Just focus on the core as thats where you gain the most. I'll be amazed if you can't hit 1100 core on stock voltage. I can undervolt my cards by -0.050 and hit 1100/1250. Handy for keeping temps down. :)

Put the power at +50% in afterburner and forget all about it. Don't unlock overdrive in CCC, just use the latest beta of afterburner to control clocks and fan speed.

yeh thats what i usually do :p i dont mess with volts on anything, gpu or cpu

Associate
Yes the extra year warranty is a big plus imo.

Agree and backplate that look slike it has been though out to allow some of the hotter areas to let the heat escape and:

Hi-C CAP

A Hi-c CAP is a very small, but super-efficient capacitor. Besides ensuring enough spacing around a CPU socket to install large coolers, it also allows for 93% energy efficiency. Thanks to Hi-c CAP's MSI mainboards are the most energy efficient in the market.

SOLID STATE CHOKE

It’s a new generation, form-in-one choke, which doesn’t generate vibration noise under heavy loading & provide 37,5% higher current output comparing with traditional ring chock. It’s very important when GPU is overclocked or under high loading, since it requires even more amount of electricity which can be provided through this component.

MILITARY CLASS COMPONENT

One of the deciding factors in performance is the quality of the components used. That is why MSI only uses MIL-STD-810G certified components for its Gaming cards because only these components have proven to be able to withstand the torturous circumstances of extreme gaming and overclocking.

SOLID CAP

One With their aluminum core design, Solid CAP's have been a staple in high-end design mainboard designs and provides lower Equivalent Series Resistance (ESR) as well as its over-10-year lifespan.

http://www.msi.com/product/vga/R9-290-GAMING-4G.html#overview

Associate
Very happy. Left it sat in Heaven on the OC Profile (1040core, default memory). Max temp 76c. VRM temps: 54 and 62c. Looking forward to playing with the overclocks later.

MSI have tamed it well :)

Last edited:
Associate
just benched heaven

Untitled7777.jpg

Untitled.jpg

core 1100
memory 1400

custom fan profile in AB
max temp 73
fan speed 83
fan tac 2562

any good guys????

Associate
just benched heaven

core 1100
memory 1400

custom fan profile in AB
max temp 73
fan speed 83
fan tac 2562

any good guys????

Run it at the settings from this thread and then you will get a good idea.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18487976

For reference I scored 1,414 with an i5 760 at 4.0Ghz and 290X at 1,110/1350 at the settings in the above thread.

Hard to tell with the settings you've used whether it's good or not really.

Last edited:
Associate
I have the Sapphire 280x toxic, and under load (mining/furmark especially) its VERY loud. x3 small fans, are not comfortable to sit next to.

I was tempted by the Direct CUII 290, but the earlier thread about 780 clone heatsink not fitting 100% has put me off LOL

Have a listen... The Asus does sound completely silent compared to the rest, but the Sapphires are ridiculous...

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/radeon-r9-280x-third-party-round-up,review-32817-6.html

Is the MSI gaming definitely quiet under load?

Last edited:
Associate
you can hear it when your playing a game etc. but i wouldnt say its loud its just like when the cpu fan goes under full load, if the fans are 100% then its quite noisy
just set a custom fan profile in afterburner :)
if it helps it doesnt sound much different to the his 7950 ice q boost

Associate
you can hear it when your playing a game etc. but i wouldnt say its loud its just like when the cpu fan goes under full load, if the fans are 100% then its quite noisy
just set a custom fan profile in afterburner :)
if it helps it doesnt sound much different to the his 7950 ice q boost

Cheers, I think I may just hold out for the Asus Direct CUII then, as 100% thats super quiet :D I need some tranquil mining and browsing next to the pc time back in my life lol

Back
Top Bottom