• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI 290/290X Gaming Edition Thread

I think you have to be a bit careful to what those noises sound like in reality - in a case

my WF on my 570 (which must be similar to the other WFs) - is silent at idle, and even at 100% fans - really the noise is just air noise - and its not that noisey either

that is to say - its a noise thats not annoying

I've had fans at idle that are more annoying

there is quite a difference in hearing air-rush, vs an annoying ticking noise, or pulsating etc etc

Got my 290X today (replacement for a DOA original 290X). It is indeed quiet, and best of all it has Hynix memory! (according to that MemoryInfo program) :D

Got my 290X today (replacement for a DOA original 290X). It is indeed quiet, and best of all it has Hynix memory! (according to that MemoryInfo program) :D

See my other thread, tested ten today, they all achieve 1215-1260MHz core and 6600-6900 memory, bloody good cards.

I had fan at 100% which is still not that loud on this card, asus bios for 1.41v, separate power rails for each power connector and the results damn impressive.

Three even ran in tri-fire at 1230MHz core with them hitting around 90c at some points due to lack of airflow when wedging three right next to each other.

Check my thread out, this MSI is impressive and out of all the 290 customs this would be my choice or the Sapphire as the coolers are superb.

Well the price of both the non x and x models has gone up since the other day, the non x by £4 and the x by £20(unless I'm mistaken, pretty sure it was £449.99).

Well the price of both the non x and x models has gone up since the other day, the non x by £4 and the x by £20(unless I'm mistaken, pretty sure it was £449.99).

That is correct. I'd still say it's worth it in my opinion. I'm having a lot of fun with this card so far, and I'm on the edge of picking another up for crossfire :D Oh, and mine came with Hynix memory, like all others have mentioned.

Last edited:
I got my MSI 290X GE yesterday.. tried the MSI "gaming app" which kept the fans really low (overriding msi afterburner settings) and I think it affected performance (the gpu clock was up and down too frequently).. so I uninstalled that and went with good old afterburner.. I tried increasing the core clock but it didn't like it much.. I'll try the 50% power as suggested and hopefully I can get a stable 1000+ mhz.
I saw the core throttling last night on Arma3 (ultra@2560x1600, around 30fps on multiplayer) to about 800-900mhz after some hours playing (not 1030mhz).
I know I need to tweak this card to get the best out of it.. but I couldn't stop playing in all that eye candy! .. I understand at default - you may get some throttling (like above) but it is literally silent... I can live with some noise for better fps and fluid ultra settings.
Love the branded afterburner too.. will definitely install that version from the CD :)

I think I'm gonna take the plunge and grab one of these. Probably the 290 (non-x) version as the main game I will be playing for the next year or so will be BF4 and hopefully with Mantle being released soon the performance gains will at least match the current 290x performance (hopefully a fair chunk more).

As for the MSI lightning, based on previous releases do we think it will be a lot more expensive? Like over £450 + VAT?

What is this throttling I keep hearing about? Doesn't that only happen when a 290 hits like 94c ?

I have mine arriving within the hour hopefully and I am off work today so good times ahead :)

What is this throttling I keep hearing about? Doesn't that only happen when a 290 hits like 94c ?

I have mine arriving within the hour hopefully and I am off work today so good times ahead :)

Yeah works the same way as when Nvidia cards throttle once they reach a certain temp. If you keep it below that temp (93c or lower in AMD's case) and keep the power limit at +50% it won't throttle.

Do it! DO IT NOW!

Just running a single card on its own, bench stable at 1260MHz core and 6800MHz memory with 1.425v, that's the maximum I can push, I nearly got 1280MHz from the core, but it was flakey.

Awesome cards! :)

Oh trust me I want to BUT... MSI 290x Lightning soon, hopefully between £480 - £500?

I get everything VAT free through my work so I plan to sell my ref 290x for around £370 on ebay and get a shiny new 290x lightning for hopefully no more than £420 ex.VAT lovely job!

But then I wont have a new card to play with for a few weeks which makes me sad :(

I got my MSI 290X GE yesterday.. tried the MSI "gaming app" which kept the fans really low (overriding msi afterburner settings) and I think it affected performance (the gpu clock was up and down too frequently).. so I uninstalled that and went with good old afterburner.. I tried increasing the core clock but it didn't like it much.. I'll try the 50% power as suggested and hopefully I can get a stable 1000+ mhz.
I saw the core throttling last night on Arma3 (ultra@2560x1600, around 30fps on multiplayer) to about 800-900mhz after some hours playing (not 1030mhz).
I know I need to tweak this card to get the best out of it.. but I couldn't stop playing in all that eye candy! .. I understand at default - you may get some throttling (like above) but it is literally silent... I can live with some noise for better fps and fluid ultra settings.
Love the branded afterburner too.. will definitely install that version from the CD :)

Do you know at what temp you are at before it started to throttle?

Back
Top Bottom