• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI 290/290X Gaming Edition Thread

Soldato
OP
Not sure what is going on, installed afterburner and I have no fan tab, and the monitoring isn't complete - it is not picking up any usage on my gpu cores, even though Im mining, sections are missing (I have no gpu temp graphs or the option to tick the box for them.)
Hardware control is selected, but there are no values in the boxes and I can't touch any slider, it must be keeping its settings somewhere, but I can't find where as I have uninstalled it several times now and then re-installed, no difference

Associate
what sort of temps are people getting with this card, got mine 2day and out of the box after 30mins of battlefield 4 im hitting 90c, this is with fan at 100%.

I know this card runs hot but i didnt think it would be just as hot as the reference cards..... another problem iv got is when i opened after burner i noticed the volts was set to +13 and the core is down at 977mhz. i thought it was meant to be at 1007mhz???

Associate
what sort of temps are people getting with this card, got mine 2day and out of the box after 30mins of battlefield 4 im hitting 90c, this is with fan at 100%.

I know this card runs hot but i didnt think it would be just as hot as the reference cards..... another problem iv got is when i opened after burner i noticed the volts was set to +13 and the core is down at 977mhz. i thought it was meant to be at 1007mhz???

If you keeping them in hermetic sauna, jeh they will get toasty.
As LtMatt mentioned earlier - sufficient in case air flow is imperative for those Volcanic beasts. Add a few fans, if possible properly configure case pressure.

Caporegime
OSD works nice in Valley but can't get it to work in BF$

done this but still doesn't display ... Probably missing something really obvious :)

Ah, only thing I'm not doing is running BF4 in x86. i'll try that.

Really liking this card. Nigh on silent compared to what I had to put up with when I had a saph 4850x2 :)

You need the 64bit version of riva tuner to make it work with bf4. I don't recommend running bf4 in 32bit mode mate. You can download it here. Make sure you uninstall the older version via add remove progs first. Remember its riva tuner to uninstall, not afterburner.

http://archive.sunet.se/pub/games/PC/guru3d/rtss/RTSSSetup600Beta4-Guru3d.rar

Associate
Associate
gonna change my side panel for the one with fans when i get home, but something else thats bugging me is that its at 977mhz out of the box when its meant to be 1007mhz. is this because i havnt changed the bios switch?

Associate
i have to wait for mine to come back now. had to RMA it as black screened trying to play any game :(

was idling at 30 degrees though. looked great in my rig as well. hope the new one gets to me fast.

Associate
gonna change my side panel for the one with fans when i get home, but something else thats bugging me is that its at 977mhz out of the box when its meant to be 1007mhz. is this because i havnt changed the bios switch?

Yeah isn't there like 3 modes you can choose to run?

Silent, Normal and Gaming? Gaming being 1,007 the highest.

Associate
Still deciding between this and the Sapphire triple X. But there seem to be some people having issues with this card. Not sure whether others are having the same with the triX because its more reliable or simply because we don't have an owners thread for them to dump their vents.

Soldato
Looks like His 290 aka 'Gold Cube' specimen sports decent finstack/heatpipe array, basically reference pcb and phase design but on the other hand VRM cooling looks bit disappointing (very similar to Asus DCU2).

Uses Hynix vidmem chips

Interesting that the HIS cooler fins run lengthways along the card (like the reference cooler), so a lot of that hot air is going to vent out the back of the case as the GPU is closer to the back.

Other cards like the Powercolor PCS+ have the fins running across the width of the card, so the heat will all go into the case. and up against the motherboard.

Associate
Cant seem to get a stable overclock. My cards stock voltage is currently at 1.069 and I'd like to keep it that way.

I'd love to run 1100/6000 at stock volts :(

ASIC is 80.1% if you're interested.

PS - Where the heck is the BIOS Switch?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom