• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSi gaming R9 270 fan oil leak?

Soldato
Upon reading this thread I’ve checked my GTX770 Gaming Edition; oil all over shroud and motherboard, but the fans are not rattling as yet.

Also asked my brother to check his GTX770 Gaming Edition bought around the same time; told me it's covered in oil & one fan rattling bad with anything over 50% fan speed.

Not impressed considering both cards are only 8 months into used life...

Here's mine :(

P1120087.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
Upon reading this thread I’ve checked my GTX770 Gaming Edition; oil all over shroud and motherboard, but the fans are not rattling as yet.

Also asked my brother to check his GTX770 Gaming Edition bought around the same time; told me it's covered in oil & one fan rattling bad with anything over 50% fan speed.

Not impressed considering both cards are only 8 months into used life...

Here's mine :(

P1120087.jpg

MSI should withdraw these from sale until this is fixed.

Liquid and electricity.

Permabanned
I never said it was fine to accept this ballsup but you did say "Liquid and electricity" but its oil so no doubt cannot conduct even if not mineral.

Nor should deionized water.

Soldato
270 here with a little oil, nothing major but card isn't 'inverted' in this system like usual setups. Card is a few weeks old, will be keeping an eye on it!

My older 7950 TwinFrozrIII doesn't have any leaks.

Soldato
(I'd get it now but I'm unable to pay via PayPal, address unconfirmed for some reason, checked my account, it's verified and confirmed, no idea why.)

I have that problem with PayPal too, went through it with CS and they said nothings wrong their end... I don't have PayPal problems anywhere else.

Just took it as one of the many 'gremlins' with the OcUK site.

Soldato
asked my brother to check his GTX770 Gaming Edition bought around the same time; told me it's covered in oil & one fan rattling bad with anything over 50% fan speed.

Visited my brother today to inspect condition his MSi GTX770 >

P1120113.jpg

Oil flicked at the motherboard by fan blades >

P1120102.jpg

Brothers card was puchased from OcUK so will be contacting them when time permits for RMA. As the right fan suffers from faint rattle under 35% speed and sounds very unhealthy with increased speeds.

Associate
My RMA has been marked as returned without replacement and that the items won't be returned to me unless I pay a charge.

Technicians replies on both cards are "excessive bearing oil not classes as fault, does not interfear with card opperation." and "excessive fan bearing oil, not extensive to be classed as fault. does not interfear with cards opperation.".

There's no mention about the seized fan which is the reason I sent started the RMA process in first place. You only have to power the card up to see that fan has failed.

Trying to contact OCUK now as I don't want to pay to have my cards returned only for the problem to still exist. I'm fine about the one that just has oil on being returned, but not the one with seized fans. Not impressed.

Permabanned
Take legal action against them (used to be Trading Standards).

Neither of those cards is acceptable, even if leak never eventually became a seized fan.

Tell them you have dermatitis after touching the card.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom