• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSi gaming R9 270 fan oil leak?

Caporegime
I agree with jh30uk.

The "excessive bearing oil not classes as fault, does not interfear with card opperation." argument is [insert rude words]

You have your own proof that this results in an eventual fan seizure, there is plenty of precedence for that all over the internet that you could point Trading Standards to.

Whats more there is a minimum level of construction / design standard which MSI must adhere to, i would have thought those standards DO NOT allow for the card to spray oil all over its self and other components, such as your Motherboard which no doubt has the cards oil on it. right?

Send an Email to Trading Standard, make it clear that the oil leak has already ended with a fan seizure and that other components with in your case have oil on them as a result of this.

Give them the RMA contact details.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Take legal action against them (used to be Trading Standards).

Neither of those cards is acceptable, even if leak never eventually became a seized fan.

Tell them you have dermatitis after touching the card.

Against OCUK? I thought the guy said it was OCUK that is returning the card as working fine :confused:

If so, it wouldn't be the first time faulty items have been sent back as working fine, always my fear with RMA's. Though if it isn't OCUK, ignore my post :)

Caporegime
Against OCUK? I thought the guy said it was OCUK that is returning the card as working fine :confused:

If so, it wouldn't be the first time faulty items have been sent back as working fine, always my fear with RMA's. Though if it isn't OCUK, ignore my post :)

I think it was sent to MSI, nothing to do with OcUK, its out of DSR so its not OcUK's responsibility. :)

Caporegime
So OCUK don't deal with faults anymore just send them to another company? Why not test in house and if found faulty send out another card :)

Even if out of DSR

Years ago when my Gainward developed faults, it was a fast turn around and a new card was sent out

Caporegime
So OCUK don't deal with faults anymore just send them to another company? Why not test in house and if found faulty send out another card :)

Even if out of DSR

Years ago when my Gainward developed faults, it was a fast turn around and a new card was sent out

I guess it depends on where Sean sent it and what OcUK's role in this is if they do test them, i would be surprised if it was OcUK who turned down this RMA for this reason.

Caporegime
I guess it depends on where Sean sent it and what OcUK's role in this is if they do test them, i would be surprised if it was OcUK who turned down this RMA for this reason.

Anyways, asked for a RMA few days ago, got a response today saying that the oil leak isn't a fault, they put in too much of it and that it won't harm the system.

Was that from OCUK or MSI?

Might've been wires crossed, but that's why I wondered

Caporegime
Might've been wires crossed, but that's why I wondered

That was me. i was refering to Spike
My RMA has been marked as returned without replacement and that the items won't be returned to me unless I pay a charge.

Technicians replies on both cards are "excessive bearing oil not classes as fault, does not interfear with card opperation." and "excessive fan bearing oil, not extensive to be classed as fault. does not interfear with cards opperation.".

There's no mention about the seized fan which is the reason I sent started the RMA process in first place. You only have to power the card up to see that fan has failed.

Trying to contact OCUK now as I don't want to pay to have my cards returned only for the problem to still exist. I'm fine about the one that just has oil on being returned, but not the one with seized fans. Not impressed.

Sorry.

There are 3 different RMA's going on in this thread, its sent my head spinning.

Soldato
Technicians replies on both cards are "excessive bearing oil not classes as fault, does not interfear with card opperation." and "excessive fan bearing oil, not extensive to be classed as fault. does not interfear with cards opperation.".

Can you clarify who rejected the seized fan RMA upon inspection, OcUK or MSi?

Associate
OP
Sent in my card via DSR yesterday, arrived today and refunded hours later, can't complain.

It's unfortunate though, I liked the card, the cooler's nice but I can't just ignore the oil issue.

Soldato
Why can the excess oil not just be wiped up ? It's not uncommon for bearings to be over lubbed during manufacture. It's mineral oil so is non conductive and no risk to your pc.

Am I missing something ?

Associate
I hope you all get replacements/refunds and an apology.

I would be very annoyed if a component leaked/sprayed oil all over my build, safe or not that's not the point. A lot of us put effort in to making our builds look nice and clean and something like this just isn't acceptable.

Associate
Why can the excess oil not just be wiped up ? It's not uncommon for bearings to be over lubbed during manufacture. It's mineral oil so is non conductive and no risk to your pc.

Am I missing something ?

It could/has caused fans to sieze, and it messes up your other components.

Soldato
It could/has caused fans to sieze, and it messes up your other components.

I find it doubtful a little excessive lube is going to cause fans to seize. I imagine in that case the fan was actually faulty.

It's just a little bit of oil which is easily wiped up and no more effort than dusting your pc.

I'm really not seeing the problem tbh. :confused:

Soldato
I find it doubtful a little excessive lube is going to cause fans to seize.:

Its not excessive, fluid dynamic bearing fans should not leak at all by design.

Edit: Bit of Google research suggests the fans used on MSI GTX and MSi AMD R range cards are manufactured/supplied by PowerLogic.

Last edited:
Associate
Not everyone will care Moogleys, but obviously some people do surely you can see that?

Thankfully i don't have one, but i would be bothered by it if i did and it was spraying oil. Why should i have to wipe it off when it should not be there or have happened in the first place.

But as i said i know not everyone will care and if they don't then thats alright for them, but it doesn't mean the ones that do should have to put up with it.

Back
Top Bottom