• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSi gaming R9 270 fan oil leak?

Permabanned
I find it doubtful a little excessive lube is going to cause fans to seize. I imagine in that case the fan was actually faulty.

It's just a little bit of oil which is easily wiped up and no more effort than dusting your pc.

I'm really not seeing the problem tbh. :confused:

I do not see how you cannot see this as a problem. :confused:

Soldato
Just saying if I noticed a bit of oil leakage I would just wipe it up if all is ok.

If that's all it was id hardly be bothered too. :)

However the silly amount ****ed out of my brothers GTX770 Gaming Edition fans causing one to sound really unhealthy, would point to this not been simple case of so called overfill.

Also my GTX770 Gaming Editions rather messy with oil, so obviously I'm a tad worried mines going to same way. :(

Caporegime
Its not excessive, fluid dynamic bearing fans should not leak at all by design.

Edit: Bit of Google research suggests the fans used on MSI GTX and MSi AMD R range cards are manufactured/supplied by Powercolor.

Bwwarrrrrr :eek:

I have a Powercolor PCS+ 7870XT MYST. 8 Months old. i game with it daily, PC is on 16 Hours a day.

No oil. yet

Soldato
Fair enough if the fan has started sounding unhealthy then there is something up.

Maybe I did not read the thread thoroughly enough, I thought it was just some oil splatter from the pic above.

Associate
Can you clarify who rejected the seized fan RMA upon inspection, OcUK or MSi?

OcUK. I've had mine less than a month so raise the RMA with OcUK first.

Why can the excess oil not just be wiped up ? It's not uncommon for bearings to be over lubbed during manufacture. It's mineral oil so is non conductive and no risk to your pc.

Am I missing something ?

I'm not fussed about the oil. I sent mine back because one of the fans failed. I only noticed the oil when I inspected the card to see what was wrong with the fan.
I sent the second card back because it also had oil over it, which means it could fail at some point.

Fluid bearing fans without the fluid sounds like a failure waiting to happen.

Anyway, it seems my cards have been shipped from OcUK and are on their way back to me. Haven't paid for a charge I don't think, but I still have no idea if the fan is now working or not.

I really hope it's not in the same state I sent it in :(
Perfectly happy with the cards, I just want them working. Can't mine on a card with a faulty fan!!

Last edited:
Associate
Sent in my card via DSR yesterday, arrived today and refunded hours later, can't complain.

It's unfortunate though, I liked the card, the cooler's nice but I can't just ignore the oil issue.

Did OcUK refund you for the oil leak? They've just sent mine back saying the oil leak isn't classed as a fault.

Permabanned
Give it a few weeks then send it back overheating with a seized fan as a fault.

Leaking is a fault and I bet the EU law will back you on that.

Caporegime
Can we have someone from OCUK clarify this? Bit of a joke to say that a leaking fan is not a fault! Yeh you clean up the mess and a seized fan down the line then

Soldato
I've had GPUs from all sorts of manufacturers, and all sorts of case fans from various manufacturers - many run for many years and I don't recall ever seeing any oil

OcUK Staff
Can you please make a post in the customer service forum so I can look into this please. With your order number and all the details. Thanks. :)

Will get on it in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom