• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSi gaming R9 270 fan oil leak?

Associate
OK guys, here's the thing. I fly big 6 foot carbon fibre model helicopters, that contain lots, and lots of bearings. It totally normal to get a slight discharge from the bearing dust seals. Irrespective of whether it runs at 8000 rpm or 40,0000 rpm, its totally normal. There has to be a slight gap between the bearing collar that spins, and the dust seal (that contains the grease/oil). The reason is to allow for thermal expansion as the bearing warms up. Don't worry about it. Its usually not a problem for electronics in my opinion. Just enjoy your cards, and if the fan fails, send it in for RMA.

Associate
OP
These cards use PLD10010S12HH fans which are simple sleeve bearing fans. If they're spilling oil everywhere - you've got a bad card and you should RMA it before your fans will die (and they will, belive me).
There seems to be a bad batch of these fans on MSI cards, you can read reviews on newegg for r9 280x which are failing for almost everybody. I have 2 of these cards and on one card fans already failed and another is getting close to it :(

If you don't want to/can't RMA this card - you can actually fix them yourself:
http://imgur.com/a/CrjSQ
You'll lose your warranty but for me it was worth it...very fast and simple fix and I'll be able to grease them again as many times as I want.

Soldato
Well thanks to Buckster's link ive found out the exact fan model used on all these Gaming Edition MSi coolers >

PowerLogic PLD10010S12HH
205210.jpg

Simple sleeve bearing fan, could swear i read some reviews before buying my card which praised MSi for using good quality fans, and them been fluid dynamic. :confused:

Anyhow, most sleeve bearing fans you can self-service via rubber filler cap on rear side with machine oil (As in the sort you would get with sowing machine etc, not WD40). Sadly from what i've now read via various forums its suggested the Gaming Edition fan reservoir cap is hard plastic and glued in place. So best to RMA, rather than risk damage via bodge job style of forcing fan blade housing apart to re-fill reservoir.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm not too bothered about the oil. My RMA was because one of the fans stopped working. Faulty plain and simple. Although that doesn't appear to have been tested.
I only sent both cards back because the RMA was raised for both cards. I was only expecting to RMA one of them but mentioned in the email that both were leaking even though only one had a faulty fan.

I was simply following instructions :(

Posted in the Customer Service forum so we can hopefully get this resolved.

Permabanned
OK guys, here's the thing. I fly big 6 foot carbon fibre model helicopters, that contain lots, and lots of bearings. It totally normal to get a slight discharge from the bearing dust seals. Irrespective of whether it runs at 8000 rpm or 40,0000 rpm, its totally normal. There has to be a slight gap between the bearing collar that spins, and the dust seal (that contains the grease/oil). The reason is to allow for thermal expansion as the bearing warms up. Don't worry about it. Its usually not a problem for electronics in my opinion. Just enjoy your cards, and if the fan fails, send it in for RMA.

That is a lot of nonsense and this is from an engineer.

Bearings should no leak period and inside a PC is a bit more delicate than your copters motors.

If anyone's card leak oil RMA it do not listen to BS like above or anyone telling you to live with it as it is not a big deal.

Associate
had to rma a 670 with msi in January for one faulty fan not very happy with the returned card. was looking at the 780 gaming after reading this thread I think I will go with evga or gigabyte.

Soldato
They are sleeve bearings that have been over lubed in the factory. A little oil spray is nothing to be alarmed about. They use non conductive mineral oils. A clean up and monitor is all thats needed if things are running ok. A noisy or failed fan is something to be alarmed about and should be RMA'd....

Soldato
They are sleeve bearings that have been over lubed in the factory. A little oil spray is nothing to be alarmed about. They use non conductive mineral oils. A clean up and monitor is all thats needed if things are running ok. A noisy or failed fan is something to be alarmed about and should be RMA'd....

Total BS.

No PC component should leak fluids. PERIOD.

In what world is fluid dumping ACCEPTABLE? It's not on my car. Nor my motorbike. Absolutely not acceptable in my PC, that sits on my desk, full of expensive parts.

If I had a fan dumping fluids into my PC it would be RMAed instantly. Not "I'll keep cleaning up after it".

Soldato
Total BS.

No PC component should leak fluids. PERIOD.

In what world is fluid dumping ACCEPTABLE? It's not on my car. Nor my motorbike. Absolutely not acceptable in my PC, that sits on my desk, full of expensive parts.

If I had a fan dumping fluids into my PC it would be RMAed instantly. Not "I'll keep cleaning up after it".

OK total BS as you say.

Personally I would not call a very small splattering of oil from an over lubed fan an issue especially as it is non conductive mineral oil. Its hardly "Leaking fluids".

I would wipe it up and see if it comes back before going through the hassle of an RMA and possibly getting another the same but that's my engineer brain at work I suppose...

Each to their own..

Last edited:
Soldato
And when said oil has stained other components of your build?
If MSI are stating its and just the excess coming out then this is infect a defect from them and should be replaced at there costs ,They can simply clean the cards and resell as B grade etc if there happy with such a product.

Soldato
Just seems a lot of hassle going through an RMA and possible replacement that is the same when it could be fixed by wiping up the excess oil.

I'm not saying they should be doing it as they shouldn't just I don't see it as a big issue as it is being made out. If the fan is noisy or failed then that is different. But if its just a bit of excessive oil splatter then a quick wipe saves a lot of hassle.

Soldato
oil will soak in and stain a lot of plastics etc when u have a build your proud of you shouldn't have a issue like this IMO , But yes if it was wiped immediately it would be ok but how many of us check our pc daily for oil ?
Even a warning on the cards manual(not saying it doesnt have one already aint read one) saying check for oil leaks for a week or two would help as i expect 95% of people dont expect there new video card to leak

bru

bru

Soldato
To all the people who have said its no such a big deal, think of it in different terms.
If you bought a £200 piece of HiFi equipment only to find after a few weeks it was leaking fluid over your HiFi rack would you just shrug your shoulders and mop it up, or would you questioning if the item was faulty.
Think if a £50 ceiling fan suddenly sprayed the ceiling with oil, would you be happy about it.

How is it that if a Graphics card makes excessive coil whine its considered ok to complain, but excessive oil squirting out is ok.

These graphics cards are not cheap (not that price should have any bearing on it at all) they should not be leaking anything at all end of story.

Associate
My MSI 280x had fan rattle and oil leaking on the fans, My replacement has fan rattle and leaking on the fans.

I have had to give the GPU to my son who will not use it as much.

Associate
I'd be returning the emplacement especially if its rattling

When i was using the replacement and hit 80% fan speed it rattled. I gave it to my son and so far he has not complained about any noise.

The cost of posting RMA is to expensive :rolleyes: i will wait until it dies completely. I have had no problems with my gigabyte 280x model.

This is my 1st MSI 280x from start up and running a benchmark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3gr7piSL_U&feature=youtu.be

Suspended
To all the people who have said its no such a big deal, think of it in different terms.
If you bought a £200 piece of HiFi equipment only to find after a few weeks it was leaking fluid over your HiFi rack would you just shrug your shoulders and mop it up, or would you questioning if the item was faulty.
Think if a £50 ceiling fan suddenly sprayed the ceiling with oil, would you be happy about it.

How is it that if a Graphics card makes excessive coil whine its considered ok to complain, but excessive oil squirting out is ok.

These graphics cards are not cheap (not that price should have any bearing on it at all) they should not be leaking anything at all end of story.

This ^^^

Permabanned
Just seems a lot of hassle going through an RMA and possible replacement that is the same when it could be fixed by wiping up the excess oil.

I'm not saying they should be doing it as they shouldn't just I don't see it as a big issue as it is being made out. If the fan is noisy or failed then that is different. But if its just a bit of excessive oil splatter then a quick wipe saves a lot of hassle.

jiFfM.jpg

Back
Top Bottom