MSI GD65 Z68 (G3) Quick Auto Voltage OC Guide and Reference

Associate
OP
Yea I'm going to dedicate some time at the weekend just to see what the max stable with manual voltage is. It would be nice to set the vcore manually and have the volts drop with the multiplier, which is what I presume the offset voltage does, but I'm still loving this board atm :D

Soldato
I can see other company (cannot give name due to forum rule) as it does had a * marked along with overclocked bundles as it stated :

*Due to the unpredictability and nature of Overclocking, we will provide an OC from 4.40-5.00GHz

That for all i7 2600K and 2700K bundles.

Sensible wise to warn peoples it will not gaurantee 5.0GHz

Associate
Hey,

I will have my GD-65-G3 here on Friday and hopefully have it up and running by Sunday!

Thanks to op for this thread, it means I have an excellent reference point for when I start overclocking the i5.
I will try to get some screenies after a little play :D

Associate
OP
Hey,

I will have my GD-65-G3 here on Friday and hopefully have it up and running by Sunday!

Thanks to op for this thread, it means I have an excellent reference point for when I start overclocking the i5.
I will try to get some screenies after a little play :D

Welcome to the club :D

Got 4.6ghz from mine using your settings. Voltage seems quite high though 1.35-1.36v I did manually try 1.32v but crashy crashy :(

121.8 Gflops in IBT :)

1.36 is okay, that's about the same auto volts as my 2600k for 4.6.

Associate
I dont seem to get anything over 4.4ghz.

Set everything exactly as per OP (except core ratio limits, set to 47).
However i always get 4.4ghz (x44) at 1.33v. Temps dont exceed 64-65.
Idles at x16 ~0.98v 30c...

Something i missed ?

#Edit# Got it. Do not trust CLICKBIOS-II app. Went via proper bios everything fell into place. x47 @x1.352, 65c. Havent tested for stability yet, but windows load and apps load so far. Off to mess in skyrim for a bit :D...

Last edited:
Associate
Well, over an hour of Skyrim on Ultra - no problems. If that can be considered a stability test :D

Also i forgot to mention that my board is GD55-G3, not GD65... CPU is i7 2600k... 4x4gb ram.
But as far as i know only major difference is absense of integrated video ? (no hdmi ports).

#Edit1# Well, been messing with multiplier a bit. System is "stable" at x47, vcore 1.325v, maxes out at 73.
But no matter what i try it wont load windows if i set it to x48. Is there anything i can do to try higher?
Also, temps, idles at 28-32c, maxes out at 68-73. Is this normal ?

IBT passes on Normal x5, or Very High x1 (didnt try more than x1 because i'm impatient :D ).
Skyrim on ultra runs just fine. No glitches no crashes etc...

#Edit2# x47 withstood x5 Very High on IBT, however... it starts on x47 then drops to x41, sometimes goes back to x47 ??? What gives ???

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It sounds like you need to update the BIOS, there was a bug in an earlier one that would drop the multiplier when the CPU was under load. Check which version you have, you can download the latest stable N3 from the link in the OP that should fix it, if you register on the MSI user forum you will find a link for the MSI Flashing Tool which I recommend using.

Associate
I can confirm that N1(2.31) to N3(2.33) fixed dropping multiplier issue.
I figure that GD55 -AND- GD65 use the same bios update file. Bin file name and size is the same.

Will see if temps vcore have changed. And if it allows me to get any higher than x47.

Associate
OP
Okay as I said x48 is the most I can get stable using auto volts, so I thought I'd try x49 with manual voltage. I had to go up to 1.448 (1.450 in BIOS) to pass five runs of IBT on very high, and it gets pretty warm at that. When I get more time I will try loosening the RAM timings and tweaking some other settings to see if I can get the vcore lower. I tried x50 with the same settings but I got a bluescreen 101 which I read is not enough vcore so more testing needed. Btw this is with the latest beta BIOS n46.

49_1_448.jpg

Edit; Added more detail to OP.

Last edited:
Associate
Does anyone else have issues with the mouse input while in the bios?

I have an mx518 and the directions are sort swapped around with the up and down movements controlling the left and right and vice versa.

Associate
OP
With the earlier BIOS my mouse was a bit glitchy, but not reversed or anything although I'm not using a Logitech mouse. Tbh I still prefer using the keyboard over the mouse though.

Associate
My mouse is a cheapy wireless nobrand, works well doesnt work in bios at all.

Yesterday got my first BSOD while playing NFS The Run. Multi was at x47. Dropped it to x46 and ran the game again to see temps (real temp) - wasn't exceeding 55c, so not likely an overheat.

So, what is the most accurate way of telling what vcore voltage is ? I get the impression that cpuz is iffy at best...

Also, any apps that GRAPH temps/vcore/other voltages ? I have an old CoreTemp with grapher plugin, it gets the cpu wrong but temps are right ? Anyone care to investigate if CoreTemp grapher accurate ? Mine is of version 0.99.8 +grapher plugin. Gets right Core and Thread count, platform (1155), vcore, freq and multiplier, lithography nm, temp current, max, load. Doesnt get cpu model...

Associate
OP
Cpuz is apparently fairly accurate for the voltage, although I have been having problems with it myself with this board, sometimes I get an error when starting it.
You could try Aida64 which has it's own cpu-id similar to cpu-z, also it has a stability test which has graphs and statistics, you don't need to run the test for it to display this information you just need to have it open/minimised.

Screen shots

Associate
Thanks for this guide!

I plan on OCing my dad's 2600k on this board sometime over Xmas. I'm adding this page to my favourites so I don't forget where it is! =D

Soldato
New BETA BIOS released, see below.

E7681IMS.N45 ---> E7681IMS.N46

- Add the Virtu license key to support Z68A-GD55 model.
- Add boot option for winki
- Modify some string.
- Add support F12 screenshot save as different filename function.

... and then we now have:

E7681IMS.N46 ---> E7681IMS.N47

- Adjust the font color setting for grayout controller.
- Implement M-FLASH solution for NTFS file support. (Now only support update BIOS Function.Support Read-only. No writes to media of any kind are supported. Compressed, Encrypted, and Sparce files are not supported).

Please note that flashing this release occurs entirely at your own risk!
>>Use the MSI HQ Forum USB flasher<<, Method II for best results.
Do NOT use the BIOS/UEFI integrated M-Flash Routine.

Click here >> http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=151148.msg1139760#msg1139760

Back
Top Bottom