MSI Optix MAG272QR 27" gaming monitor release date?

Associate
Hope your right, seems maybe too good to be true for the price? didnt want to pay above £300 so can see this being my next one

It does seem like a very good deal, especially compare to the other shortly-to-be-available VA/FreeSync/1440p/flat/27" monitor coming out soon, the AOC AG273QX, which seems to be coming out somewhere around £450.
OTOH this one has a lower peak brightness and doesn't even make the VESA HDR 400 certification, so I guess it's cheaper as its HDR is comparatively poor. That's a tradeoff I can take for two hundred quid!

Associate
I'm interested in this mainly due to VA panel and size, can't see any info on flicker free or low blue light, anyone got any info on those? Does MSI bother with them or nah?

Associate
I'm interested in this mainly due to VA panel and size, can't see any info on flicker free or low blue light, anyone got any info on those? Does MSI bother with them or nah?

https://www.msi.com/Monitor/Optix-MAG272QR/Overview

They mention it on the product page - "Anti-Flicker and Less Blue Light – game even longer and prevent eye strain and fatique"
But that's the only mention I see.

Associate
Ah thanks! Yes that's a bit vague, prefer to see Rhineland certification or similar. I'd like to know if it's actually flicker free haha

Yeah, the words "Less Flicker" don't inspire massive confidence there!
For the blue light stuff the manual it says there is an "Eye Saver" mode which gives a more yellow glow. Nothing about any certifications I can see.

Associate
Anyone know if this would support 144/165hz over HDMI? Say's the ports are HDMI 2.0 but doesn't state what rate they support :(

Looks like 144Hz, from that page -

Display Port: 2560 x 1440 (Up to 165Hz)
HDMI: 2560 x 1440 (Up to 144Hz)
Type C: 2560 x 1440 (Up to 165Hz)

We'll be using the DP connection though, as it's going to be attached to an nvidia 2070s and AFAICT freesync-compat mode is only over DP.

Associate
You mean G-Sync Compatible and if its not officially badged to be so its not been Tested/Certed by Nvidia but it is just 1 extra box to tick in the NV CP to use it but it may have issues.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

I mean that it's a freesync monitor, and whatever nvidia choose to call their freesync compatibility mode, that's what is available when using this with a 2070S, and it only works over DP.
Indeed, I don't imagine this will have been tested/certified yet. Hopefully it'll work just fine though, my other non-tested, non-certified monitor (EW3270U) does.

Soldato
I've seen a review for the curved version, and the general consensus is that it's a good entry level 1440p 144Hz monitor, but no more than that. Brightness and contrast wasn't great and there was a reasonable amount of ghosting.

Hopefully the flat panel is better.

Associate
I've seen a review for the curved version, and the general consensus is that it's a good entry level 1440p 144Hz monitor, but no more than that. Brightness and contrast wasn't great and there was a reasonable amount of ghosting.

Hopefully the flat panel is better.

Everything on it so far seems pretty positive, but there aren't really any in-depth reviews out there yet AFAICT.

I hope the flat version is better, if nothing else it seems like it ought to be newer tech - 1440p, flat VA, HDR, 144Hz panels are only just coming to the market AFAICT.

Associate
Looks like 144Hz, from that page -

Display Port: 2560 x 1440 (Up to 165Hz)
HDMI: 2560 x 1440 (Up to 144Hz)
Type C: 2560 x 1440 (Up to 165Hz)

We'll be using the DP connection though, as it's going to be attached to an nvidia 2070s and AFAICT freesync-compat mode is only over DP.

Yeh unfortunately I'll have to go without feesync as I'm on HDMI only, but atleast it's 144hz over hdmi!

Associate
Looks like Amazon's first shipment instantly sold out for this monitor? Haven't ordered from Overlockers in a year or two, how are they for returns etc?

Associate
Had the MPG27CQ a year ago for a week and returned it due to ghosting, if you do get a VA panel check if you can handle the ghosting in darker scenes before its too late to return. It doesnt seem to bother some people.
I know this is a newer version but it seems ghosting is a trait of VA panels which is why I will always avoid them.

Back
Top Bottom