• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI R9 290 / 290x gaming edition - powertune throttling the core clock discussion...

Hi, i got mine at

1100mhz gpu
1350mhz memory
+50 power
at stock voltages

some reason on core voltage in MSI afterburner its 13+ ???

been playing battlefield 4 for about 1 hr didnt get any problems , running on ultra :)

fan on auto
idle 36c
load 76c

Last edited:
1100 core on stock volts is not always easy for any card.

We find 1100 core normally takes 1250mv and 1150 core around 1300mv. To get 1200 core you generally need 1350-1400mv and then you have a heat issue.

A card than can do 1100 on stock volts, your lucky.

Both of my 290 VTX reference cards do 1100 on stock volts so it can't be that abnormal. Although this is with the memory at stock as its largely pointless overclocking the memory.

Both of my 290 VTX reference cards do 1100 on stock volts so it can't be that abnormal. Although this is with the memory at stock as its largely pointless overclocking the memory.

My stock volts are, on reflection, incredibly low. 1.075 at load - reckon a 100mv increase to the usual 1.175 could land me that 1100?

My stock volts are, on reflection, incredibly low. 1.075 at load - reckon a 100mv increase to the usual 1.175 could land me that 1100?

What asic is your card?

I highly recommend using OCCT GPU test to check for core stability in Hawaii. Its very quick and easy to check gpu stability. It picks up tiny little graphical errors that would otherwise be hard to notice while testing for stability while gaming. Any errors detected, you need more core voltage or a lower core clock. Its useless for memory though, so stick with core.

sY1HRWD.jpg

I can do 1025/1250 @ Core voltage -0.050mv and AUX voltage at -0.087mv.

For 1100/1250 i need voltage (Core and Aux) at stock levels. This has been tested using OCCT's error checking. If you can pass 10-15 minutes at the setting i posted above you're rock solid stable. You could actually maybe lower voltage a tad further and be stable, but eventually you may get artifacts. Whether you actually notice these while gaming depends on the level of stability. If you get just a couple of errors you probably won't notice. If you get thousands of errors you likely will notice.

Last edited:
What asic is your card?

I highly recommend using OCCT GPU test to check for core stability in Hawaii. Its very quick and easy to check gpu stability. It picks up tiny little graphical errors that would otherwise be hard to notice while testing for stability while gaming. Any errors detected, you need more core voltage or a lower core clock. Its useless for memory though, so stick with core.

sY1HRWD.jpg

I can do 1025/1250 @ Core voltage -0.050mv and AUX voltage at -0.087mv.

For 1100/1250 i need voltage (Core and Aux) at stock levels. This has been tested using OCCT's error checking. If you can pass 10-15 minutes at the setting i posted above you're rock solid stable. You could actually maybe lower voltage a tad further and be stable, but eventually you may get artifacts. Whether you actually notice these while gaming depends on the level of stability. If you get just a couple of errors you probably won't notice. If you get thousands of errors you likely will notice.

ASIC Is 80% according to GPU-Z. To me that is incredibly high, and would explain my low stock VDDC and the cards ability to run at 1030mhz rock solid at about 50-100mv lower than most R9 290X's stock VDDC.

I will try that this weekend, but bare in mind that at 1100Mhz stock volts it crashed during load up of GPU-Z

Anyone having throttling issues at low temps, i can confirm it does not happen in crossfire. Its a single card issue only on 13.12 drivers. So the temp fix is either try older drivers or get a second card for crossfire. :D :p

Back
Top Bottom