• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI R9 290 / 290x gaming edition - powertune throttling the core clock discussion...

no to get 1077mhz you need to either use afterburner, or the gaming app.

The gaming app doesnt raise the power threshold up enough IMHO and only increases the chance of core throttle.

Far better to apply the fix on page 1 and use 50% powerincrease and fix the core at 1077mhz.

ok thanks - not what I would have expected if I'm honest

all factory overclocked cards I've ever owned have been that frequency out of the box, shouldn't need any additional software to tweak it

for instance if you use it in Steam OS etc where tweaks may or may not be available - just a silly example - but you see what I mean

Hi, i thought it would be pre overclocked without needing to use software at 1007mhz, which disappoints me , but using MSI afterburner i have it at 1100mhz GPU - 1350mhz Memory, +50 power increase at stock voltage , i checked the graph on desktop its 300mhz and at 1100mhz when played hour of battlefield 4 at ultra settings, love the fact it doesn't even struggle :)

Thanks

Is there a way to find out what memory is onboard without using the card or taking the cooler off (I am at work)? I can partially see one memory module which reads;

SK.....
H5G.....
ROC...

I started playing dishonored this morning and according to msi ab the core never went above 850 and gpu utilisation fluctuated every second or so from 70% down to 5% and back again. Silky smooth 60 fps though whilst playing so wasn't unduly worried :-)

Edit: forgot to mention have 1150 set in ab with plus 50 power target

I've never used it and I still get the throttling issue unfortunately.

Aye but that probably doesn't help matters allow people to overclock without increasing the power limit.

Have you tried an older driver to see if it occurs there?

http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/amd_catalyst_13_11_beta_9_2_(13_250_18_november_7)_download.html

I started playing dishonored this morning and according to msi ab the core never went above 850 and gpu utilisation fluctuated every second or so from 70% down to 5% and back again. Silky smooth 60 fps though whilst playing so wasn't unduly worried :-)

Edit: forgot to mention have 1150 set in ab with plus 50 power target

Did you try older drivers mate?

I gave up on overclocking mine. Its now sat at a constant 1030Mhz. I had it at 1080mhz but had a power cut and it dialed back.

I don't like how I have to disable YLPVS or whatever it is just to get decent frames in less demanding games. My core clock was dialing back to 600 ish Mhz O.o

Has anyone found if switching BIOS's helps OC Stability? On the stock "UEFI" BIOS I cant even hit a stable 1100 Core at stock volts

I gave up on overclocking mine. Its now sat at a constant 1030Mhz. I had it at 1080mhz but had a power cut and it dialed back.

I don't like how I have to disable YLPVS or whatever it is just to get decent frames in less demanding games. My core clock was dialing back to 600 ish Mhz O.o

Has anyone found if switching BIOS's helps OC Stability? On the stock "UEFI" BIOS I cant even hit a stable 1100 Core at stock volts

1100 core on stock volts is not always easy for any card.

We find 1100 core normally takes 1250mv and 1150 core around 1300mv. To get 1200 core you generally need 1350-1400mv and then you have a heat issue.

A card than can do 1100 on stock volts, your lucky.

Back
Top Bottom