Muse's new album

Soldato
chrisd said:
As in Yorke, the guy with one of the best voices in music ? :confused:

Yes, problem?

Edit: I was going to be a pain in the arse, but to save an arguement, I am not criticising Thom Yorke, I was critisicing Matthew Bellamy's attempts to sound like him. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Jampy said:
i was deadly serious! muse were in danger of going so far up their own arse.. its seems they've taken some laxatives.
Quite a good tune methinks.. Seems to really split people methinks, people upset that its not playing their precious bombastic rock :)

(oh and look at me I'm biggest muse fan! i have the muse ep and the muscle museum ep :p )

You think this isn't up their own arse? Matt has obviously just discovered the Scissor Sisters and decided to rip them off instead of RATM. I know which I'd rather he did.

How many times have you seen Muse live?

Associate
IceBus said:
You think this isn't up their own arse? Matt has obviously just discovered the Scissor Sisters and decided to rip them off instead of RATM. I know which I'd rather he did.

How many times have you seen Muse live?

I think I've only seen them 4 times, and they were quite good one of the times, but then i was young, and liked them at the time.

Well this could be completely up their own arse, it hard to tell whether they are having a bit of fun or not, but thats the way it comes across to me....
and its not just sissor sisters, theres definetely queen, britney and a lot of prince!
best thing they've released... like .. ever (perhaps, i still have a soft spot for muscle musuem)

i still fully expect the album to suck terribly though.

Man of Honour
Well just heard it, and I like it :D

Bit crazy considering the last first single was stockholme syndrome! But... just wow, I can't believe this is muse! :eek:

I can just imagine the parents and their kids turning up to the gigs, and getting moshed to bits when microcuts blares out :D

Associate
Sounds quite funny, just heard it.

Sounds more like Muse than I expected from some of the replies here, but that's about the only nice thing I can say. Maybe it'll grow on me, I didn't think it was terrible, but it definately had nothing on origin of symmetry/showbiz. Guess we'll have to see how the rest of the new album pans out.

Man of Honour
I think its freakin' awesome now. Just figured the whole thing out on the guitar at the expence of my plant virus revision :p

The best way to describe it is this I think:

Muse had a fork in the road at Origin of Symmetary. They took left and make absolution. They have now reversed to the fork and took the right instead.

Brilliant, its made my day :D

Soldato
Jampy said:
I think I've only seen them 4 times, and they were quite good one of the times, but then i was young, and liked them at the time.

Well this could be completely up their own arse, it hard to tell whether they are having a bit of fun or not, but thats the way it comes across to me....
and its not just sissor sisters, theres definetely queen, britney and a lot of prince!
best thing they've released... like .. ever (perhaps, i still have a soft spot for muscle musuem)

i still fully expect the album to suck terribly though.
I've seen them seven times and tbh they've only been good twice, once in Dublin just after Deadstar/In Your World came out and the other being Reading 2002. Since then they've become a pop act to all intents and purposes and there's none of the live improvisation I used to love so much from them.

I highly doubt they'll be playing Microcuts or Citizen Erased live again any time soon.

Soldato
IceBus said:
I highly doubt they'll be playing Microcuts or Citizen Erased live again any time soon.

:( Citizen Erased is amazing and I'm always disappointed when they don't play In Your World in their live gigs. That new single spells doom to me. There is no way they would pick that song to be single if it wasn't one of the strongest from the album. I think I'll already be skipping this album.

Man of Honour
m3csl2004 said:
And thus, on the brink of a band's mainstream success, the OcUK backlashers THAT HAVE TASTE come out of the woodwork.
What aload of rubbish. Just because you prefer the old Muse style doesn't mean the new one has nothing to offer.

It takes a bit of bravary just to say 'I like this music, I dunno why I just do', whether its rock, pop, or rap.

Not saying you have to like it. If you don't listen to the old albums, you will be missing out.

Nim

Nim

Associate
People aren't disappointed because the new song is a change of direction, they're disappointed because the new song is really, really bad.

And saying that this is a backlash against imminent success is a bit of a confusing argument, considering that their last two albums were both top 3. I'd say that meant they were fairly successful already, no? If we all hated popular music, we would have given up when Plug In Baby was released.

Man of Honour
Nim said:
People aren't disappointed because the new song is a change of direction, they're disappointed because the new song is really, really bad.
But a whole lot of people like it as well. I'm not some 'n00b' fan either, and I'm reluctant to go into a 'I'm a bigger fan than you' battle, which seems to happen on the worlds worst forum, the official muse one *shivers*.

Divided the fans the new song has.

Soldato
Nitefly said:
But a whole lot of people like it as well. I'm not some 'n00b' fan either, and I'm reluctant to go into a 'I'm a bigger fan than you' battle, which seems to happen on the worlds worst forum, the official muse one *shivers*.

Divided the fans the new song has.

I went into that forum earlier today and thought the very same thing.

Associate
Tony Soprano said:
There is no way they would pick that song to be single if it wasn't one of the strongest from the album. I think I'll already be skipping this album.
Unless... and this is a bit off the wall, so forgive me :p ... they are trying to get some of the more mainstream punters (i.e. those who aren't already fans, or don't know much about them) to buy the album? So they pick the song that is the most universally accessible?

It's also a bit silly to condemn an album based on just one song. Why not wait until it's out then have a listen before making your mind up whether to purchase it or not. I would bet that the whole album is available to stream from the Muse site close to (if not before) its release, it's the way it's gone in the past.

On my first listen, I was distinctly unimpressed by the new single, but I've given it a few more goes and it's grown on me. Definitely very catchy, and definitely one that will appeal to the wider audience.

Associate
Nitefly said:
What aload of rubbish. Just because you prefer the old Muse style doesn't mean the new one has nothing to offer.

It takes a bit of bravary just to say 'I like this music, I dunno why I just do', whether its rock, pop, or rap.

Not saying you have to like it. If you don't listen to the old albums, you will be missing out.

if i dont listen to the old albums im missing out, but im not very brave becuase i say i dont like something because its quite poor, even though i dont have to like it?

edit: what do muse care ill still buy the album out of hope :(

Soldato
xyphic said:
Unless... and this is a bit off the wall, so forgive me :p ... they are trying to get some of the more mainstream punters (i.e. those who aren't already fans, or don't know much about them) to buy the album? So they pick the song that is the most universally accessible?

Valid point. :) But their previous singles have all been arguably the strongest songs from their respective albums. I have no reason to think that this is different.

xyphic said:
It's also a bit silly to condemn an album based on just one song. Why not wait until it's out then have a listen before making your mind up whether to purchase it or not. I would bet that the whole album is available to stream from the Muse site close to (if not before) its release, it's the way it's gone in the past.

I will give it a listen if they do stream it from their website, at the minute I'm not impressed at all by the song. And if that's an indication or a taster of what the album is going to be like, I simply know I won't be getting it. As hasty as it sounds. :p

Back
Top Bottom