My EK blocks nickel flaking off.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
martini - would you mind emailling me to let me know who you are rmaing with?
rich.oneil at overclockers.co.uk

Caporegime
OP
E-tailer have sent images to EK.
Waiting on EK to deliver verdict.
I'm bloody confused now, I can choose new blocks, but I've just bought two XFX 6870's which have screws.
Wish I'd gotten 480's instead =/.

martini - would you mind emailling me to let me know who you are rmaing with?
rich.oneil at overclockers.co.uk

I've just sent the E-mail now.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
aren't you worried that they may try to fob you off on the warranty front if they find any signs of a waterblock? I mean XFX are known for their CS, not in a good way though

Which is why I don't want waterblocks back :p. Sapphire don't have warranty stickers, XFX do, and my 6870's are from OCUK, so they would put two and two together.

Caporegime
OP
E-tailor have stated themselves that they don't look like they've been plated correctly.
EK will replace the blocks with like for like, E-tailor will then keep those replacement 6870 blocks.
I can then choose other 6870 blocks to use. Which is fine, however it's going to cost me 35 quid to change blocks, and I'm unable to get a refund.

What do I do?

Associate
E-tailor have stated themselves that they don't look like they've been plated correctly.
EK will replace the blocks with like for like, E-tailor will then keep those replacement 6870 blocks.
I can then choose other 6870 blocks to use. Which is fine, however it's going to cost me 35 quid to change blocks, and I'm unable to get a refund.

What do I do?

get your replacement EK blocks, advertise them for sale, then email EK directly with the links to the for sale threads, and then point out this is what you think of their kit and service, and as a result you wont even use the new ones, and will never buy again from them

they have got to realise that in such a relatively small market place, a LOT of discussions take place, and a good percentage of their business can be based on word of mouth recommendations, and repeat business is a must.... kill one kill the other.

there is nothing like the brutal truth of your customers sticking 2 fingers up to your products to make you initiate a change

Associate
i always find myself wondering if there is anywhere that might offer the nickel plating service, not specifically for waterbolcks, but that could do them perhaps ? ..... like a chrome platers will chrome pretty much anythign you take to them

Associate
I bought a block for my GTX5800 in Nov/Dec and not got around to rebuilding my rig due to house move and re decorating, you all the know how difficult wifes can be.

Anyway can blocks be returned when they have not been used as it was not clear to me on the EK site.

Caporegime
OP
How can I force a refund?
If I opt for Nickel EK blocks as replacement they'll likely suffer from the same problem again, and I've just had to pay out money and haven't gotten the money to pay the extra 35 quid for the heatkillers blocks.
I'm frigging fuming.

Soldato
So I stripped my setup for the new build and opened the CPU block(Ek Supreme HF Full Nickel).
Guess what? it has the Nickel flaking issue as well! It is about 1 year old and has been on Distilled water + Silver Kill coil.
It is too dark to take pics but I will update in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom