• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

My horrible RMA experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this is a worrying read. I've been eyeing up a massive new system purchase as I'm still rocking a 4th gen Intel system. Will be looking into the warranties/processes other merchants provide and considering my options very carefully. Shame really, I've been an OCUK customer since forever.

as a consumer, these are the sort of stories that would put a lot of folk off retailers, treat your customers fairly or watch it spread like wildfire, sometimes your no better off buying 2nd hand, you may get unlucky, but its better that being shaftered by a retailer, even if msi wernt playinf ball, that refund offer was a straight **** You
And there shouldn’t be a need to involve the higher ups in a retailer to gain traction.

I’ve been eying up either a 4090 or 7800xtx (or both to have a play). That purchase may well be made elsewhere. OcUK may have enough non-forum customers to care if we take our business elsewhere though.

Edit: May last big item purchase from OcUK, a waterblock for my 3090 was delivered to the wrong house. I was asked to knock doors to track it down. How, the photo provided as proof that they had delivered it to me wasn’t of my door and I had changed race. I ended up calling DPD direct and had a S75 in too.

Last edited:
This is why in the last 2 years I've only spent £28 here
The service was always top notch, spent thousands here but it went downhill badly.

It's a shame because when the service is good, it's really good. But the risk of the service being poor is too high now so I just take mediocre service elsewhere instead. At least that's consistent

EDIT: REMOVED COMMENT DUE TO INACCURACY REGARDING RIGHT TO REJECT

I hadn't realised that the right to reject clause is only short term and only applies as I'd described if the warranty claim/request is raised within 6 months.

OP should by the least let us know when they purchased the 3080, and at what price so we can provide better advice. Sorry if my previous iteration of this comment gave false hope. But I still stand by the the offer of a £380 refund being insulting given the market value of the RTX 3080. given a warranty repair is possible, it isn't fair to jump to refunding that amount where they'll be very unlikely to obtain an equivalent card.

This isn't really from a legal standpoint as we don't know OP's full situation regarding the amount they paid, and the time taken between purchasing the gpu and raising the warranty claim, but moreso from a judgement of fairness and equity, where the robustness of the goods are in question, and as such there's a possible breach of CRA 2015 as has been correctly identified by Shroud below. As a consumer, buying a gpu with a 3 year warranty gives the impression of robustness, graphics cards aren't ought to fail within the first year or two, there aren't any moving parts that would cause catastrophic failure if they developed a fault. This is just my POV, from a legal standpoint, there are different arguments from both sides. But in my opinion, again provided the clauses that refer to robustness, it's unfair to call a gpu failure within the minimum UK 2 year warranty period reasonable enough to not be able to at least get a repair.

A lot of this is exactly what the others in this thread have said, I guess my adjustment of my initial message is just reaffirmation of the points made regarding entitlement to a working product and fair treatment, and I wanted to give commentary on my opinion regarding the way this makes OcUK look as a retailer.

Personally, I've been fortunate with all my graphics cards, having owned at least 6 different second hand graphics cards which have been through their own runs for at least a year each BEFORE buying, then at least another year afterwards, and I've owned 4 brand new graphics cards including my current 3070 Ti which has been serving me since July 2021 no problems. The longest running card I've now passed down to my youngest brother, an MSI GTX 970 which I've owned since 2017. Basically, in my experience I'd say that a GPU lasting under 2 years, especially a high value Nvidia xx80 card is an insult to longevity. If I have to worry about losing money on a GPU I bought 6-7 months ago, it's not worth bothering or wasting money on it in the first place....

Last edited:
See children, if you moan loud enough and hard enough even YOU can get a good result :D :p
Shouldn't ever get to that stage. At no point should the consumer be completely fobbed off by a retailer. I get that sometimes things go wrong, and I get that not every situation is clear, but in a situation where there are faulty goods, we as consumers are protected by rights but unfortunately not everyone is aware of their rights and in my experience, many retailers prey on this fact with their own "policies", acting like they're the word of the law. Most policies enforced in a retail environment are essentially just "we'll try this and see if it gives us an easy life, if the customer doesn't fight it, then we win and don't have to spend any time dealing with things we really ought to be doing anyway". Sad situation tbh but I worked in retail for many years and know what management are like.

At the end of the day, you're entitled to a working product, and if the warranty states that your product is covered for a certain period of time and you're still within that period, then your claim should be treated fairly and properly.

Last edited:
So full refund is usually only within 6 months then 6-12 is 80/75% after 50%

This is correct,

My understanding under the consumer rights act is ( if anyone else has better understanding of CRA 2015 feel free to correct me )

1. up to 6 months your entitled to a full refund or full replacement as it assumed failure before 6 months = manufacturing defect.
2. after 6 months it is up to the buyer to prove it was a manufacturing defect, however you should be entitled to a repair, replacement or partial refund.
3. The warranty that you get with the manufacturer has no legal standing and is offered only as goodwill.
4. Your contract ( under CRA 2015 ) is with the retailer, not the manufacturer so all correspondence should always be with the retailer. If they have their own RMA warranty contract with the manufacturers youll be out of the loop for that.
5. under CRA 2015 it is stated that goods sold should be robust and should last a "reasonable" amount of time. A gpu that fails in its warranty period I would suggest has failed the requirement of being robust.

The crucial thing here is how long has passed since the purchase.

if its still in warranty period then the minimum should be a fix, replacement, or similar ( 4070 ) or 75% refund. ( robust goods should last for ~6 years, so if youve had the gpu for 2 years then (6-2)/6= 66%, so a refund of 66% would probably be fair for 2 years of use.)

The final right to reject can only be exercised after "after one repair or one replacement, the goods do not conform to the contract;"

you can also raise a section 75 claim if you bought with credit card , for breach of contract.

Update on the RMA
Overclockers are unfortunately doubling down on the fact that I can only take a refund they stated below
"Damian (Overclockers UK)

22 Apr 2023, 13:14 CEST

Hi Alex

Thanks for getting back to us regarding this,

Yes unfortunately it doesn't look like we have any other 3080s in stock and with them being end of life now we would only be able to process the partial refund on this,"

I have still refused as of now as this feels like a slap in the face unfortunately
Wow, they are utterly taking the **** with that one. Awful service.

You've got to kick off. I did when my red devil 5700XT died. Sent back to ocuk and after waiting a month I emailed them and stated if they didn't sort out if be taking my business elsewhere if I didn't receive a new card as I've literally spent thousands at ocuk which I have. Got a brand new card after that. Don't accept bad service. I'm sure ocuk will see you ok now because if not this thread will be bad for their business.

Last edited:
OcUK take note. Customer service is everything. This place has never been the cheapest, but people pay that extra with the expectation of solid support if things go wrong.
Feel like they have been doing well and are taking it for granted. Stories of customer service like this can turn the tide very quickly.
I remember one of their main competitors use to be know for really bad customer service but over last 5-6 years have turned the corner and i take my business to them.
OCUK have become to big and the way they treat their customers is showing.

This, i'm willing to pay a bit more for good quality hassle free service should i need it.
I normally would to. But my last experience with the GPU block that went MIA for two days and it was my problem to deal with as they had a picture from DPD showing DPD had delivered to a Door and a Person covered them. It was only after showing them my Nest Hello footage that someone got interested their end. Too late by then I’ll add as I’d kicked DPD.

Since then the spaceman owner of a on line store has seen more of my business as they deliver next day (inc Sat and Sun) and to the right place and I’ve never had a problem with their support once you get through the first line either.

As others have mentioned, maybe OcUK are getting a little too big and have lost touch with their roots. If that is true, such a shame.

Time will tell as there is quite a bit of focus on the OPs problem which may turn into a pivotal point for many.

Last edited:
A Friend had a gigabyte 3080ti he paid £1400 quid for during covid from a massive uk retailer online.

He had temp hotspots and fans ramping up for a while and decided to rma hoping they fixed it.

Gigabyte sent the card back and it wasn’t even opened to look at stating the card worked fine.

He got in touch again with the retailer and they issued a full refund of which he then bought a 4080 for £50 more than the 3080ti.

Customer service how it’s meant to be.

Just to add he got his 4080 from ocuk, I will be asking him to look at this thread as he has only had his card 10 days and this might be an eye opener for him.

Last edited:
A Friend had a gigabyte 3080ti he paid £1400 quid for during covid from a massive uk retailer online.

He had temp hotspots and fans ramping up for a while and decided to rma hoping they fixed it.

Gigabyte sent the card back and it wasn’t even opened to look at stating the card worked fine.

He got in touch again with the retailer and they issued a full refund of which he then bought a 4080 for £50 more than the 3080ti.

Customer service how it’s meant to be.
Used to be the way OcUK behaved. Speaking from experience (970GTX).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom