• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

My horrible RMA experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hold on, let me check I have this right.

OP buys brand spankers MSI gpu from OCUK, plays all the fortnites, minecrafts, candycrush etc etc
MSI gpu yeets itself
OP panics then calms because warranty.
OP - "Yo OCUK bros, GPU is yeeted so I need to use this MSI warranty that you chat to MSI about"
OCUK - "I got you fam, send me the thing and we'll sort it"
OP - "Sweet, sented bruv"
*4 weeks later*
OCUK - "Look fam, MSI have ghosted us but fear not cos you can has betterer GPU innit. It aint your job to deal with MSI and you can't be at a loss through no fault of your own"
OP - "That's wikid good, I knew I could trust you to keep it real. nice one broski"
OCUK - "SIKE! we're gon giv you a pennies on the pound refund cos we have none of teh same card in stock"
OP - "LOL WHUT! Listen mate this is no bueno, your problems with MSI are your problems. I boughted gpu from you, it got yeeted and it needs to be replaced with either the equivalent or betterer gpu y u do dis?"

Is this how it is playing out so far?
If so, then this is very bad form for OCUK.

I'm not a huge legal T&C legal mastermind but, who does OP have the contract with? MSI or OCUK?
If you have to deal directly with the supplier (OCUK) regarding warranty claims then should the supplier not have honour that warranty?
If OCUK are having a hard time with reclaiming costs etc from MSI for warranty claims etc then maybe OCUK should stop dealing with MSI.
To reiterate, OCUK's issues with MSI are just that... OCUK's problems, they are not OP's.

However, let's just wait to see what OCUK come back with on monday before casting a scathing judgement upon them

Last edited:
Hold on, let me check I have this right.

Is this how it is playing out so far?
If so, then this is very bad form for OCUK.

I'm not a huge legal T&C legal mastermind but, who does OP have the contract with? MSI or OCUK?
If you have to deal directly with the supplier (OCUK) regarding warranty claims then should the supplier not have honour that warranty?
If OCUK are having a hard time with reclaiming costs etc from MSI for warranty claims etc then maybe OCUK should stop dealing with MSI.
To reiterate, OCUK's issues with MSI are just that... OCUK's problems, they are not OP's.

However, let's just wait to see what OCUK come back with on monday before casting a scathing judgement upon them

That dialog made me giggle.... it probably shouldn't, sorry if its inappropriate.

This is such a weird one, i have never had a retailer partially refund me if the item is still in the warranty period otherwise whats the point of the warranty? I may as well sell it on ebay for spares and repairs and probs still get the same amount of money back for it.

Makes no sense to partially refund if its still in warranty. If that's the case with OCUK then its making me question future expensive purchases from them on the basis that if it goes **** up in a years time i might only get half of what i paid for it. Bonkers!

if OP has had gpu longer than 2 years , a 50% refund is not "unreasonable". Especially with respect to the CRA2015.

Although you can argue it isnt good customer service. True. If ocuk have communicated that they intend to replace with a 4070ti then they should honor that. Even if it is not their normal policy and results in a loss for ocuk. Alternatively OP should ask for a 4070.

Otherwise ocuk are saying that warranties are not being honored and they are just going to comply with the minimum set out in CRA2015.

Companies are well within their rights to offer a partial refund. But, I don't think companies have the right to only offer a partial refund. I think they have the obligation to offer a replacement too, or else what's the point in long warranties

This thread is not good reading. Like many others, I have spent about £100 here over the many years (it's not really but Mrs Tango might read this) with OCUK, always had good service in the past when things go wrong. It's then that the good differentiate themselves from the bad, OCUK used to be in the good camp.

Personally I think it would be good for OCUK if they are very transparent about the communication they have had with the OP after Gibbo was tagged.

Companies are well within their rights to offer a partial refund. But, I don't think companies have the right to only offer a partial refund. I think they have the obligation to offer a replacement too, or else what's the point in long warranties

I'd imagine it only gets worse for the even more expensive items then. Imagine paying close to 2K for a 4090 and after 18 months / 2 years it yeets itself but only being offered half or less its value in refund.

Last edited:
I had an MSI product that needed rma not long ago although it was bought at a competitor. They sent it back to MSI to do their section of the RMA but it got stuck in logistics for weeks. When I followed it up (as comms went quiet for ages) the retailer realised it triggered the x days policy so offered me a replacement or.

When I pushed the or button (as the returns rep paused mid sentence when discussing the options) the rep said or a refund. So I just chose the refund.

I will be honest since then I would be hesitant to get an MSI item as it seems like they have issues with RMA's and not long back had a cyber incident.

I'd imagine it only gets worse for the even more expensive items then. Imagine paying close to 2K for a 4090 and after 18 months / 2 years it yeets itself but only being offered half or less its value in refund.

Expensive items should be bought with credit card, that way if it turns faulty after 2 years and the retailer doesnt come good with its customer service you can raise a section 75 claim with your credit card provider stating breach of contract ( goods were not robust, expensive gpu failed after only 2 years ) credit card provider then refunds 100%

just stating this in an email to the retailer ( that you intend to invoke section 75 ) may be enough to make them get in gear

Last edited:
I think this is a case that ocuk are shooting themselves in the foot by trying to be helpful to the customer but getting it wrong/being caught in the middle.

Had the same recently, asus mobo sent back for repair. 4 weeks later no word from asus so they instead sent a brand new board out instead. Lucky for me they had one in stock so job done, it seems the manufacturers are basically abusing ocuk acting as a reasonable middle man and taking the P in not turning rmas around in a reasonable manner.

This is why I always used EVGA, its a shame that we no longer have a graphics card manufacturer which can be trusted to handle customer service correctly and the likes of Asus and MSI get to carry on.

Expensive items should be bought with credit card, that way if it turns faulty after 2 years and the retailer doesnt come good with its customer service you can raise a section 75 claim with your credit card provider stating breach of contract ( goods were not robust, expensive gpu failed after only 2 years ) credit card provider then refunds 100%
Good point, having recently got myself a credit card after 20 years of not owning one i feel like i could make use of it for this kind of purchase now.

I think this is a case that ocuk are shooting themselves in the foot by trying to be helpful to the customer but getting it wrong/being caught in the middle.

Had the same recently, asus mobo sent back for repair. 4 weeks later no word from asus so they instead sent a brand new board out instead. Lucky for me they had one in stock so job done, it seems the manufacturers are basically abusing ocuk acting as a reasonable middle man and taking the P in not turning rmas around in a reasonable manner.

This is why I always used EVGA, its a shame that we no longer have a graphics card manufacturer which can be trusted to handle customer service correctly and the likes of Asus and MSI get to carry on.

It really is a shame, EVGA has always been a solid brand with a solid service. I know many here who bought only EVGA products cos of this. Them exiting the market the way they did really does show are nasty the likes of Nvidia and AMD have become.

It really is a shame, EVGA has always been a solid brand with a solid service. I know many here who bought only EVGA products cos of this. Them exiting the market the way they did really does show are nasty the likes of Nvidia and AMD have become.

If you watched the GN footage it was warming to see why they setup an RMA side as the hardware was expensive enough to get repaired. It was probably a PITA to setup but over time it paid off, which it sounds like some of these other brands should input into this as a collective if it costs too much to do individually.

EDIT: REMOVED COMMENT DUE TO INACCURACY REGARDING RIGHT TO REJECT

I hadn't realised that the right to reject clause is only short term and only applies as I'd described if the warranty claim/request is raised within 6 months.

OP should by the least let us know when they purchased the 3080, and at what price so we can provide better advice. Sorry if my previous iteration of this comment gave false hope. But I still stand by the the offer of a £380 refund being insulting given the market value of the RTX 3080. given a warranty repair is possible, it isn't fair to jump to refunding that amount where they'll be very unlikely to obtain an equivalent card.

This isn't really from a legal standpoint as we don't know OP's full situation regarding the amount they paid, and the time taken between purchasing the gpu and raising the warranty claim, but moreso from a judgement of fairness and equity, where the robustness of the goods are in question, and as such there's a possible breach of CRA 2015 as has been correctly identified by Shroud below. As a consumer, buying a gpu with a 3 year warranty gives the impression of robustness, graphics cards aren't ought to fail within the first year or two, there aren't any moving parts that would cause catastrophic failure if they developed a fault. This is just my POV, from a legal standpoint, there are different arguments from both sides. But in my opinion, again provided the clauses that refer to robustness, it's unfair to call a gpu failure within the minimum UK 2 year warranty period reasonable enough to not be able to at least get a repair.

A lot of this is exactly what the others in this thread have said, I guess my adjustment of my initial method is just reaffirmation of the points made regarding entitlement to a working product and fair treatment, and I wanted to give commentary on my opinion regarding the way this makes OcUK look as a retailer.

Personally, I've been fortunate with all my graphics cards, having owned at least 6 different second hand graphics cards which have been through their own runs for at least a year each BEFORE buying, then at least another year afterwards, and I've owned 4 brand new graphics cards including my current 3070 Ti which has been serving me since July 2021 no problems. The longest running card I've now passed down to my youngest brother, an MSI GTX 970 which I've owned since 2017. Basically, in my experience I'd say that a GPU lasting under 2 years, especially a high value Nvidia xx80 card is an insult to longevity. If I have to worry about losing money on a GPU I bought 6-7 months ago, it's not worth bothering or wasting money on it in the first place....
So I originally bought the GPU on 16.09.2020, with a 3-year warranty that I registered on the MSI website when it arrived. So when the fault appeared I contacted MSI directly and asked if my GPU was still under warranty, to which they stated "Warranty is still active until 09/11/2023". I then asked what step I needed to take next to start the RMA process. So MSI told me to contact the retailer directly. So I then emailed OCUK who acknowledged my problem and sent me a delivery stamp. When OCUK received the GPU they checked the fault itself and told me they were going to send it off to the manufacturer for repair, and for me to message them in 28 days if I've heard nothing back. So I waited 28 days and then messaged them, which is when they offered a replacement 4070ti and then retracted it as a "miscommunication" and said they could only offer me a partial refund, which leads us to where we are now.

thanks for the reply :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom