• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

My horrible RMA experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I originally bought the GPU on 16.09.2020, with a 3-year warranty that I registered on the MSI website when it arrived.

So roughly 2.5 years, 5 months from warranty expiring . I guess this is one of those awkward cases. Still the CRA2015 says goods sold should be robust and last a reasonable length of time. Very few people would buy expensive gpu's if they were told they would only last 2.5 years.

With this info in mind I would say a 50% refund what ocuk offered was "fair-ish" although perhaps a minimum. However if they told you they would supply a 4070ti I really think they should honor that even if it was a slip of the tongue.

Given that it is technically still in warranty it would be good if ocuk exemplified good customer service and gave you a 4070, but from a legal standpoint they probably only have to offer a 50% refund.

Its ocuk call really, do they want to be a shining beacon of customer service or not.

The problem i have to the 50% of original purchase price, be it legal or not sort of says the product you bought is not necessarily the product you will have for the duration of the warranty.

Its something that at the very least should be in the small print of the product page.

The argument for this might well be you have had 2/3 warranty use out of the product so 1/2 money back is generous.

Well... yeah alright Arthur Daley.

My bro's new MSI 6950XT has just gone bad too. Artifacting and crashing in games, tried it in my rig, and still the same. Different e-tailor but hope he doesn't have the same issues being MSI. I believe the card is only 4 months old! :(

The argument for this might well be you have had 2/3 warranty use out of the product so 1/2 money back is generous.

Not really.

Theres no point in having any or an extended warranty if manufactruers can basically fob it off if its inconvenient.

If it fails within a warranty period it should be total refund or replacement, no ifs, no buts.

My bro's new MSI 6950XT has just gone bad too. Artifacting and crashing in games, tried it in my rig, and still the same. Different e-tailor but hope he doesn't have the same issues being MSI. I believe the card is only 4 months old! :(

Less than 6 months is an automatic replacement or 100% refund. You speak to the retailer who sold you the card not MSI. Raise a case with the retailer asap.

Not really.

Theres no point in having any or an extended warranty if manufactruers can basically fob it off if its inconvenient.

If it fails within a warranty period it should be total refund or replacement, no ifs, no buts.

there is no legal backing to manufacturer warranties, they are offered basically as incentives to buy and as goodwill gestures. I agree with your sentiment ofcourse that warranties should be honored no ifs or buts. However its basically like insurance companies, they sell you insurance then try their best to avoid paying out when a claim comes in.

Well at least it happened within 4 months, so he's fully protected by the law and is legally entitled to a full refund. The whole > 6 month thing is giving me new insight on this hobby... idk about buying new hardware with no guarantee that I'll be able to get a replacement or my money back if it decides to prematurely fail. On top of this, wiith the way Nvidia and AMD have been pricing the current generation, I'm really starting to lose interest in upgrading at all

there is no legal backing to manufacturer warranties, they are offered basically as incentives to buy and as goodwill gestures. I agree with your sentiment ofcourse that warranties should be honored no ifs or buts. However its basically like insurance companies, they sell you insurance then try their best to avoid paying out when a claim comes in.

I would be pretty confident if I took a manufacturer to court over a warranty id be able to have the court agree with me that it would be enforceable.

So I originally bought the GPU on 16.09.2020, with a 3-year warranty that I registered on the MSI website when it arrived. So when the fault appeared I contacted MSI directly and asked if my GPU was still under warranty, to which they stated "Warranty is still active until 09/11/2023". I then asked what step I needed to take next to start the RMA process. So MSI told me to contact the retailer directly. So I then emailed OCUK who acknowledged my problem and sent me a delivery stamp. When OCUK received the GPU they checked the fault itself and told me they were going to send it off to the manufacturer for repair, and for me to message them in 28 days if I've heard nothing back. So I waited 28 days and then messaged them, which is when they offered a replacement 4070ti and then retracted it as a "miscommunication" and said they could only offer me a partial refund, which leads us to where we are now.

thanks for the reply :)
I recently had to do an RMA (Feb 2023) for a keyboard that started randomly double pressing certain keys.

I sent them the keyboard which I was then told it would be sent to the manufacturer for repair, I waited the 28 days and heard nothing so I did a web note for an update.

I paid £84 for the cooler master Sk620 keyboard which was 7 months old when it started developing a fault and I was offered a refund of £76.69 and no replacement as its EOL, not the same as a 3080 etc but similar situation of reseller not getting back to OCUK after 28 days

I would be pretty confident if I took a manufacturer to court over a warranty id be able to have the court agree with me that it would be enforceable.

I agree, but only if the manufacturer are actually in the UK.

If it's a retailer importing the product, then all you realistically have is the warranty that the retailer provides (2 years, although that was an EU thing, so has it changed back to 6 years rule where you do apply depreciation for use).

For the OP, I can't see what MSI entity they could sue in UK courts.

edit:

So checking, it has reverted to UK law. So you have a right to a partial refund or repair within 6 years, and also within reasonable lifetime.

Last edited:
Not really.

Yes i agree, the point i was making is that this reasoning is not in good faith. hence the Arthur Daley reference, perhaps before your time?

The full quote.

The problem i have to the 50% of original purchase price, be it legal or not sort of says the product you bought is not necessarily the product you will have for the duration of the warranty.

Its something that at the very least should be in the small print of the product page.

Well... yeah alright Arthur Daley.

Last edited:
This thread reminded me of a return via OC in 2021.

Bought a Lan Li Galahad Cooler, March 21. £139.99 inc vat.

April 22, cooler is no longer cooling. The pump has failed.

Raise ticket, get a prepaid return. All good. I asked for it to be fixed or replaced.

2 weeks later my "replacement" arrives:
The RMA went ok, it was confirmed as faulty.

However, there's two issues now.

I was sent a B grade replacement. It's clearly 2nd hand.
The replacement is white, mine was black

Sorry, please could you send me another return label and issue a refund.

Thank you.

I can arrange to get this back and swapped out for you. I can offer a refund but as this is outside of the first 6 months it would only be a partial refund. Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

Kind Regards,

Overclockers UK

the partial refund amount is 116.66 including VAT

Kind Regards,

Overclockers UK

I took the refund as I CBA to argue. A cynical person would suggest that OC got a 100% new replacement from Lan Li and rather than give me that sent out a B Grade one. When that didn't work they recovered some of their losses on 2 x postage by going down the partial refund route.

They still sell the cooler, it's £149.99

Possibly, im not sure. The only reason you can take a party to court harks back to contract law. Under CRA2015 you form a contract with the retailer when you make a purchase which is why they have legal obligations.

As for the manufacturer I dont think you form a contract with them when you buy their products from a retailer, so no idea how the small claims court would see it.

As for the manufacturer I dont think you form a contract with them when you buy their products from a retailer, so no idea how the small claims court would see it.

Yeah, my understanding is that it's not correct for a retailer to say "5 year manufacturer warranty" and after 30 days say "not our problem, go call x", since if they advertise a warranty, it is now their warranty and any agreement with the manufacturer has nothing to do with the buyer (unless it is an extended warranty specifically purchased, or obtained through the manufacturer, like through registration).

Last edited:
This thread reminded me of a return via OC in 2021.

Bought a Lan Li Galahad Cooler, March 21. £139.99 inc vat.

April 22, cooler is no longer cooling. The pump has failed.

Raise ticket, get a prepaid return. All good. I asked for it to be fixed or replaced.

2 weeks later my "replacement" arrives:

I took the refund as I CBA to argue. A cynical person would suggest that OC got a 100% new replacement from Lan Li and rather than give me that sent out a B Grade one. When that didn't work they recovered some of their losses on 2 x postage by going down the partial refund route.

They still sell the cooler, it's £149.99
Yup. That’s likely what happened.

Customer obsessed right? Fact is they really don’t give a damn about us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom