My new car (Warning: Uncool 5 door action inside)

Soldato
Nice buy Howard, looking at yours is making me feel a little ...nostalgic for the one I had. They do make a great noise when you get the revs right up. And they are surprisingly refined cruisers too, very comfortable cars. I used to find the torque limiting in 2nd gear really annoying though, 1st was ok but 2nd ...that's just daft.

As for selecting reverse when the box is cold, yes that's quite normal I think, mine was a bit tricky at first too until I got the hang of it, it just requires rather more force and a longer throw than expected to select reverse. As you have probably discovered by now, the clutch has a very sudden bite point on it too which can be a bit tricky at first, you don't get much sensation of when it's biting ...it just does it quite suddenly ...making it rather easy to stall.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I noticed the torque limit too, 2nd is pretty quick, but it takes off in 3rd upward :)

The reverse is concerning me a little - it literally won't go in on the first attempt, have to declutch and select other gears a couple of times, but it's slick as anything once warmed up.

Soldato
I noticed the torque limit too, 2nd is pretty quick, but it takes off in 3rd upward :)

The reverse is concerning me a little - it literally won't go in on the first attempt, have to declutch and select other gears a couple of times, but it's slick as anything once warmed up.

I remember having chew (sorry, trouble :p) with reverse... just took a little getting used to I thought as it's pretty stiff.

Soldato
You can't turn it off, the diesel peeing badger will appear

I think it's a fixed limit, must be in the ecu though so couldn't be too hard to remove

Soldato
I <3 V6 torque. Diesel.

I thought the ST220 was quite low on torque actually, certainly noticeably less low end and mid range than the 330CI. And it's in a totally different league to the V8s. The ST220 doesn't really come alive until hit 4500rpm+ I found.

Soldato
Oh yea :p ...I've heard that before. The ST220 loves to rev, it's by no means low on torque, I just meant I found it a little less 'torquey' than I am used to and had expected, but I liked it a lot none the less.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm pretty sure your ST220 will have MMT6 gearbox that the early ST TDCI's had where you have to push down and over to the left to get reverse, which leaves the gear lever at a strange angle.

These are hard to get reverse in - I very nearly stuck a very early ST TDCi into a wall on a test drive thinking it was in reverse when it wasn't. They changed the gear levers shortly after to a collar which were far more user friendly and I'm sure I've heard you can change the levers over very easily. Other things it could be are it needs the shift cables adjusting which is relatively straightforward, or some new gearbox oil may fix it.

Back
Top Bottom