My new car (Warning: Uncool 5 door action inside)

Caporegime
auto climate control is brilliant

just set and leave it to it.

I have mine set on 19 which is rather chilly i know, but i dont feel the cold and really do feel the heat.

Soldato
OP
[FnG]magnolia;16839663 said:
It looks in really good condition. What are these like to drive, then? Rapid without being blistering I imagine?

Yep. Comfortably quick and grunty but the MX5 is faster and a bit more manic. And a lot more fun.

But the Mondeo does exactly what I want it to. Cruise effortlessly, yet provide a bit of fun when you feel like a bit of a blast, the chassis is excellent at hiding its weight :)

Caporegime
they dont really feel rapid. Its not what they are about.

the only thing rapid is the way in which the speedo climbs. The sensation of speed is very much removed.

Completely the opposite of the VXR i used to have which just gave you a big wodge of power right in your chest, as opposed to delivering it in a nice smooth progressive way.

the ST220 is brisk, but its never going to give you that sensation of being quick - unlike a Focus ST which on paper is only a teensy bit faster, but feels it more so due to power delivery.

Soldato
The performance on these reminds me of a 325 - not kidney punching by any stretch of the imagination, but just seems to keep on going and in the end most other cars will have run out of puff before you do.

Soldato
OP
Found this morning its quite tricky to get into reverse and sometimes 1st when the box is stone cold. After a bit of fiddling it'll go in, and after a moment of driving, the box is slick as anything. I'm taking it for Ford to look at hopefully under warranty on Friday, is it likely to be anything more serious than the gearbox oil or linkage?

Soldato
Many ford boxes do not have synchro on reverse gear so it tends to be a bit 'crunchy' unless you dip the clutch twice or go into third and then reverse gear.

Soldato
Ah, the old "I'm buying a more manly car to convince my mum I'm not gay" routine.

It's ok Howard, I did the same except I rather overcompensated somewhat :o

Looks lovely mate, hope you enjoy it, but similarly hope it doesn't deviate your attention too much from the hairdryer.

Soldato
OP
It's not crunching, it just plain won't go in initially. I'll play with it a bit more and see if there's a "knack" to it

Cheers Gaijin, no it won't detract from the enjoyment of the '5 much, it handles like the QE2 in comparison and isn't quite as fast :D

Still got "that" numberplate? ;)

Caporegime
Watch the fuel pump, apparently - from what a few garages said - they are a bit prone to failure - my GF's has just gone on her 2.5V6 (2001), the car's only done 64k too! :(

Otherwise great cars, nice to drive and the engine is a peach. :)

Back
Top Bottom