• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

My Test of GRAW running with and without physX

Associate
:eek: OMFGG,,,, Im sorry but what an absolutely awfull looking game,, I was a bit dissapointed with the 360 version but to this version it looks a million dollars, I know looks are not everything, but...... I stopped playing after 5 mins, it looks like a PS2 game IMO..

Caporegime
problem i see it is that its a first gen design, probably specced up a near or two ago and thrust into the market place as they didnt have time to remake it (financial viability etc) and ship it quick enough to gain market share befor Nv and ATi release their versions.

thus u have a product which isnt powerful enough to keep up with current gfx cards and whilst enabled nice explosions it is slower than your gpu would be doing less taxing explosion calculations etc.

and so i would definately wait to see how it performs in the next batch of games designed around it. if its carp forget about it tbh

Associate
Cyanide said:
Evidently the patches haven't been released yet... :(

Also the company that made the game has gone into hiding and shut down their forums lol :)

Thing is...they (Digital Jesters) made the game using the AGEIA SDK, which probably means it's active as soon as you play the game (if you have the PPU on the system).

Iceman have you tried playing the game with the PPU physically in the system and without....it's could probably be on as default....worth a try just to check :s Cant find anywhere to ask for support except for a german forum :(

Soldato
ihatelag said:
Also the company that made the game has gone into hiding and shut down their forums lol :)

Thing is...they (Digital Jesters) made the game using the AGEIA SDK, which probably means it's active as soon as you play the game (if you have the PPU on the system).

Iceman have you tried playing the game with the PPU physically in the system and without....it's could probably be on as default....worth a try just to check :s Cant find anywhere to ask for support except for a german forum :(

There's a patch that gives some new weapons and it's the weapons that are PhysX enabled, not the game itself

Associate
Cyanide said:
There's a patch that gives some new weapons and it's the weapons that are PhysX enabled, not the game itself

Ahh, I see, but from what I remember last year, they were working with NovodeX which is the PhysX SDK...shame they mass advertised the point, only for a patch with a few weapons with PPU enabled.

Edit----

I can see this file: New! AGEIA PhysX - Bet On Soldier 40.4Mb

which is probably the file you need....but the link to the page is dead lol.

Click me to view search results

Last edited:
Associate
[ui]ICEMAN said:
Unfortunately that's a video showcasing the effects, thanks for trying though :)

Awww okay :( Shame it wasn't the file. I didn't know exactly what is was because of the Russian language there.

I guess we could email digital jesters and ask them for the patch...but if you see their forums, they have closed it down and made a run for the hills. Funny how the game was only released a few months ago and the game support seems to have disappeared...they probably closed down after seeing how PhysX ruined their game...only kidding :)

EDIT---

Just watched the video, it seems that when the flame thrower is used, the game seems to get choppier....even more ironic, is that this is most evident just after they advertise the "fluid weapons"...probably the persons computer who is doing the demonstration can't handle all the calculations....or just that the max rate of the PCI slot cannot communicate fast enough between the CPU and GPU.

Also the physics debris in the game looks ugly and untextured...it really shows how far AGEIA need to go to improve the PPU. -I suppose it takes several viewings to see the flaws after being awe'd by the fireworks.

Last edited:
Soldato
All of Digital Jesters emails have been shut down, got a variety of emails which eventually led me to the correct one, however I was met with this.

"Hi, thank you for contacting Digital Jesters. Unfortunately we are no longer a Publishing company and am unable to answer your query."

Associate
[ui]ICEMAN said:
All of Digital Jesters emails have been shut down, got a variety of emails which eventually led me to the correct one, however I was met with this.

"Hi, thank you for contacting Digital Jesters. Unfortunately we are no longer a Publishing company and am unable to answer your query."

Ohh! Looks like they really did run for the hills :D So I guess we're stuck then :( I would have thought flying under the PhysX banner would have made them a popular testing game...shame they're no longer around.

I suppose we're going to have to wait until another game comes out which can use the PPU. I guess AGEIA have a breathing gap until the next game that's released!

*Advises jury to sentence AGEIA to the rubbish pit if they fail to deliver in the next game that's released - court adjourned! *:p

Last edited:
Associate
ah this crap was around 10 years ago

i bought a matrox mystique 4mb came with 3 games for the card.
only other game it supported was tomb raider 1 in 3d, £189 10 years ago

then voodoo 1 came out 1 month or 2 later, killed the matrox
then voodoo 2 sli £180 for 1 card
then voodoo 3 another £149 6 months later, killed both cards above
then geforce 1 riva tnt killed voodoo off
then geforce 2

guys wait for the 1 card that will kill all the cards put together, and you will never get conned with this marketing ploy and never buy into new technology
i see all this crap just repeating its self, kind of like the music industry.

its doomed to fail who wants 3 cards in their pc when 1 will do the job a few months down the line.

Caporegime
ihatelag said:
I think this is it? But I guess only Iceman will know if he downloads it or someone who knows Russian: http://www.playground.ru/files/6166/

Lol that looked like crap, kinda looks like those little blocks that go flying in graw with a physics card stuck into a flamethrower in this game. It did look a bit more fluid though but al the "chunks" i suppose took away from the effect.

Back
Top Bottom