NEC LCD20WGX2 review *** UPDATED 25/02/06 ***

Associate
As regards the bezel warp, it might be by design....I noticed on mine where the NEC logo is, that about an inch both sides of it there is a small lug that seems to push the bezel out slightly from the screen. So its not sitting flush like at the ends. I'm not going to force the bezel to see if they pop back in (assuming they would) incase it isn't designed to....be interesting to see what NEC say about it.

But apart from that little mystery the screen works perfectly.

Soldato
Come to think of it I built a system for a mate last night and he had the same screen ssme bezel issue, which I'm thinking now isn't actually an issue :)

He too loves the screen, he's more into photo and video editing and thinks the glossy screen is fantastic :D

Soldato
i am after a 20 " ws monitor , is this the ultimate in tft`s at the moment ? people say it is not any better than cheaper monitors , but other say the picutre quality is a lot better than other monitors as it uses new technology?
as £390 is a lot of cash is it worth it?

Permabanned
Ozzie Dave said:
As regards the bezel warp, it might be by design....I noticed on mine where the NEC logo is, that about an inch both sides of it there is a small lug that seems to push the bezel out slightly from the screen. So its not sitting flush like at the ends. I'm not going to force the bezel to see if they pop back in (assuming they would) incase it isn't designed to....be interesting to see what NEC say about it.

But apart from that little mystery the screen works perfectly.

I RMA'd one of mine because of that. The casing was all warped when they sent it back from having a replacement panel fitted.

Associate
Scoobie Dave said:
I RMA'd one of mine because of that. The casing was all warped when they sent it back from having a replacement panel fitted.
Hmm, interesting

Did NEC actually say that it is not normal then? I assume they admitted it wasn't if you got it RMA'd.....I'd probably be apprehensive of RMA'ing mine as it's as perfect a screen as I could have hoped for, no dead/stuck pixels or backlight bleed, but sods law would guarrantee if I got it replaced the new one would suffer from said problems, lol

Associate
OP
rippling said:
i am after a 20 " ws monitor , is this the ultimate in tft`s at the moment ? people say it is not any better than cheaper monitors , but other say the picutre quality is a lot better than other monitors as it uses new technology?
Who told you that it's not better than cheaper monitors? It's simply not true and additionally is misleading and that is probably even worst.

ATM, 20WGX2 is great, if not ultimate, all around and well established 20"WS monitor and ultimate gaming panel as well and yes, picture quality IS better and yes it uses new technology. People should really stop talking crap. I'm not defendant here or biased. I just appreciate the relevant and reliable facts and that's pretty much all.

as £390 is a lot of cash is it worth it?
I've seen this monitor around for £360 - £370. Are you buying from OcUK ?

Associate
OP
fobose said:
Well I think it uses a LG Phillips S-IPS panel, which is the same as the Dell 2007WFP, which also has more inputs and is £302 inc vat and delivery..
It's based on the latest generation of S-IPS panel, originally manufactured by LG.Philips but adopted and modified by NEC, resulting in the AS-IPS name. It's NOT the same panel as integrated in Dell 2007WFP.

Soldato
igors said:
It's based on the latest generation of S-IPS panel, originally manufactured by LG.Philips but adopted and modified by NEC, resulting in the AS-IPS name. It's NOT the same panel as integrated in Dell 2007WFP.
so is it better? edit sorry just read all your posts , so it looks like its a nec then ! :) thanks guys , pc format did say that it had the ultimate pic quality of the monitors they tested

Man of Honour
The Dell 2007WFP uses normally an S-IPS panel from LG.Philips, which is their LM201W01. This was an updated version of the same part number which was used before it in the 2005FPW. They updated the spec improving contrast ratio and most notably response time. This was achieved with the use of LG.Philips' ODC (Over Driving Circuitry) which boosts grey to grey transitions. While LG.Philips promote the updated panel as havign an 8ms G2G response time, Dell have stuck with the 16ms ISO measurement which hasn't changed and is pretty much the limit at this transition for S-IPS technology at the moment.

The NEC LCD20WGX2 on the other hand uses another S-IPS panel from LG.Philips, the LM201WE2. This offers a faster quoted response time (6ms G2G) and in practice is actually faster. NEC have labelled the panel as AS-IPS technology but fundamentally the panel remains of S-IPS character and it is just the terminology which varies.

Some models of the 2007WFP have been known to be shipped with the LM201WE2 panel however, but i've only seen scattered reports of this in the US and not in the UK. The panels are quite similar, but the LM201WE2 does offer improved responsiveness in real practice. Add to this the features of the DFC (Digital Fine Contrast) which NEC have used and you have some varying performance between the two screens.

Associate
Right, i think mines ust gone bang..Been playing on it, had it most of the day..And I was playing WoW, then suddenly like a electricity fizzle, and the screen power goes off..tried swapping the fuse with one I know is fine..Now joy..U think its buggered? It was quite warm at the back but thats nothing new..

I'll let it cool down for a while, then give it another go..But I'm thinking its died.. Could be a good excuse to get a new one? Do they do that? As mine was fine, apart from the black plastic fram at the top was a bit warped when i first got it, so bulges out abit..But as it seems its knackered now..

Only had it just over a month now..

Caporegime
Deyvy said:
Right, i think mines ust gone bang..Been playing on it, had it most of the day..And I was playing WoW, then suddenly like a electricity fizzle, and the screen power goes off..tried swapping the fuse with one I know is fine..Now joy..U think its buggered? It was quite warm at the back but thats nothing new..

I'll let it cool down for a while, then give it another go..But I'm thinking its died.. Could be a good excuse to get a new one? Do they do that? As mine was fine, apart from the black plastic fram at the top was a bit warped when i first got it, so bulges out abit..But as it seems its knackered now..

Only had it just over a month now..

General rule of thumb: if you hear a fizzle of pop you're buggered! Get an RMA and don't let it put you off, you got one of the 0.01% units that have a major fault. :)

Associate
Anyone know if a black bezel is available for this monitor? The Overclockers monitor page lists the monitor as Silver/Black but shows a silver bezel.

Anyone know?

All my kit is black. I tape up any LEDs with black electrical insulating tape. Also any writing. I find it detracts from the picture on the screen... yes I know I need help :)

Associate
OP
SithUK said:
Anyone know if a black bezel is available for this monitor? The Overclockers monitor page lists the monitor as Silver/Black but shows a silver bezel.
Silver only, I'm afraid. I guess that you can somehow remove the bezel, spray it with the paint and put back ... but that would void the warranty, that's for sure :)

SithUK said:
All my kit is black. I tape up any LEDs with black electrical insulating tape. Also any writing. I find it detracts from the picture on the screen... yes I know I need help :)
LOL

Associate
Hi guys, I just bought this monitor and love it. Just one question ... the usb ports on the side of the monitor don't seem to work - I'm plugging in my keyboard but not getting anything. How do I solve this (I have installed Naviset)?

Man of Honour
I have first hand experience with this LCD and I have to say it IS amazing but the ONLY downer I can spot is that if you sit behind anything with a brightish light like a window or lamp or a tv behind you or anything reflective then you will be in for many annoying "argh" moments :)

Other than that I have never seen a TFT screen so clear, so crisp and so natural in colour.

Back
Top Bottom