Needed: Upgrade advice for a Useless individual!

I am going to have to go in the next 15 minutes I'm afraid, work early tomorrow! :'(

No worries - TBH there's not much more to do now. Normally we would do a few more test - and then when we thought it was stable we would let prime run for a few hours (even over night).

We can't do that with your temps - i'm concerned that they would hit 90. 85 I could live I with.

I think your cooler needs reseating as it's performing like a stock cooler - at those voltages - but it's a big job if you need to remove the board to do it.

Do you think you could reseat the cooler (with new TIM) - with the motherboard in situ?

Blimey, I could try? I'm not sure if that would work or not.
For now, I'll go to sleep :D
Tomorrow should I actually put the voltages to 1.3 and test again? Seeing as I'm pretty sure I've got them on 1.23.
Then maybe I'll take a photo of the cooler and motherboard and see if you can see if that's alright to do or not.
I'll be back at around 7pm to maybe try this again, but realistically I may struggle for time this week and I don't want to take any more of your time than necessary.
I'm incredibly grateful for your help thus far.
Starting to think however I should just take it into a shop and let them figure it out :D
Unless we can find an easier form of communication to do this through.

Again, thank you very much for the help up to this point, I'm going to switch off and try and get some shut eye!

Gn bud. Get some rest.

But it is looking like a reseat or new heatsink.

I'm almost sure it will run at 4.2Ghz at 1.24/5v - but you couldn't run a synthetic stress test because it would overheat. But everyday use would see it running at approx. 60/65 degrees (but you would really have to monitor your temps when gaming for a while).

I'm not recommending the above - but if you can't reseat your heatsink we may have to drop to 4.1Ghz (would be fine) and try again.

Yep - we drop to 4.1Ghz - and try 1.2v again - if you can't reseat your cooler.

Last edited:
Go get some rest - tomorrow we'll drop to 4.1 (still a reasonable clock) - drop the core voltage back to 1.2 and run blend again.

I'll have a quick google of your cooler - and how easy it is to fit... :D

Additional: For you to mull over - although you were considering a new cooler ;)

The Titan Univeral normally comes with push pins which are a bitch to fit - but I've looked closely at your pic and I think you may have a bolt through kit fitted?

If you have the bolt through kit that makes the refitting process a whole lot easier.

You would remove the gfx card - then remove cooler. Clean off thermal paste with isopropanol alcohol or your wife's nail varnish remover (then remove residue with a damp paper towel - if used nail varnish remover).

Take the opportunity to give the HS and fan a really good and much needed clean. Use a paint brush and hoover or compressed air can - or just blow till you pass out

Once base of HS and CPU is sparkly clean - put a pea size blob (not petite pois) of thermal paste in the middle of the CPU and place the HS back on the CPU and firmly press it down. Then screw back on - do each screw a bit of time on the diagonals.

Depending on the kit - you should reach a point that it they wont tighten anymore - job done.

If it's the INTEL push pins - then that's a different matter - I've nearly snapped builds in half trying to fit those things...

unnamed_zpsmsfbq8i8.jpg

Hoping that picture works. If not i'll have to edit.

I've just seen this literally as I was putting my phone away to have a snooze. This sounds incredibly complicated for my brain!! I'll re read what you've said when I wake up or at work tomorrow sometime and see if I can have a fiddle at home later on. Unsure if we have any thermal paste, and not sure I'd be able to do much help :confused:

But as I said! I'll look when I'm awake and see what I can do, Mr Anti-Dextrous will attempt to not break something again

Thought you were asleep.

Yes, read through tomorrow - you'll have nightmares sleeping on the above...

And don't attempt until confirmed you have a bolt through kit...

Broadchurch?

You will have four attachments holding the Heatsink to the motherboard/CPU below/under each corner of the Heatsink.

Intel push pins usually look like a round black bit of flat plastic from the top - and you would have 4, one in each corner.

CPU bolt thru kits - replace the push pins and look like screws from the top - again 4, one in each corner.

I can just make out what looks like a metal spring below the corner of the upper right corner of the Heatsink (the corner face without the fan on) - this would seem to indicate you may have a bolt-thru kit fitted (may be wrong though).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom