Needed: Upgrade advice for a Useless individual!

Voltage set to 1.21 - Currently showing on CPU-Z as 1.216V
Temperatures currently idling at about 40 ish. Is it me or are the idle number getting higher?

yep - I don't want to put any more volts into it with those temps.

We could try one more roll of the dice - 4Ghz at 1.2v - your call.

I think i'll pack it in and reverse back to normal. I'll definitely look into replacing the CPU cooler soon though. Then maybe try again. Is a CPU Cooler easy (for a complete clutz) to change?
How do I go about changing the settings back? Just put the OC tuner back to auto?

Or even slow time look at replacing everything, if the motherboard can hold it all. Will have to see
No. honestly save your money.

You would need a new HS anyway and GPU - better off buying a HS that will suit a future build and gaining experience then getting a decent clock established and then throw in a GTX 1070 which you could also use in future build - and again more practice.

Okay will do,
Not sure what you mean by the above!
Thank you very much for the assistance though I really appreciate it, I'll buy a new HS next month, maybe a reasonably good one, and post back into this thread if you're still willing to help.

As I've said I appreciate it considerably, you've been great and taught me lots.

(I think I've managed to change all settings back)

Edit: if you know a HS, up to £50 if necessary,which will future proof the build, I'd accept the advice!! :)

Not a problem - been a pleasure.

I'll look out for your post and when you're ready we'll get you a good value cooler that fits in to your case.

May even have pre-applied TIM :)

Edit: if you know a HS, up to £50 if necessary,which will future proof the build, I'd accept the advice!! :)

Sure - i'll take look later/tomorrow - but we'll have to take your case width into consideration. The one I would like to get we would only have 1mm clearance to play with. I don't usually advise this (with forum users as I can't see/measure for myself - as you may not have that 1mm) - but the top of my present cooler's heatpipes (absolutely huge brick - Thermalright Silverarrow ) touch the side of the case and it's not a problem (no noise issues either).

I'll give you some choices - and give you approx. performance differences and then probably guide you towards best bang for buck. But will keep in mind this is for a future CPU...

OK, I was going to give you a selection - but given your budget, height restrictions and coupled with my obsession for bang for buck - I've narrowed it down to one card.

The Cryorig H7 at £36.95 - I've not installed one myself but forum banter and the reviews are great - link. So much so I may stick one in my sons build to have a play...

Paste isn't pre applied but does come with a tube of perfectly fine thermal paste and it's only 145mm tall - so loads of room to play with. Plus, it's performance is worthy of migrating to a new rig - whatever CPU you get...

Additional:

overclockers said:
Important Note:
CRYORIG will provide all existing users and new owners of AMD supported products the new AM4 kit totally free of charge.

I would take advantage of this straight away - just in case you do update to an AM4 in the future

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom