Needed: Upgrade advice for a Useless individual!

I'll do some more check throughout the week - The strop was, computer stopped allowing me to do anything, I could maximise and minimise any open application but couldn't click anything within them or close them, couldn't also open up anything new including task manager. Had to switch off on back of pc

I'll do some more check throughout the week - The strop was, computer stopped allowing me to do anything, I could maximise and minimise any open application but couldn't click anything within them or close them, couldn't also open up anything new including task manager. Had to switch off on back of pc
Could be a number of things - may not be related to the clock or the frequency as was happening before (we won't rule the clock out though).

For now:
  • Make sure all your drivers are up to date :chipeset, GFX, critical updates...
  • Run Disk Check
  • Make sure you have a defrag/optimise schedule. Run it if it hasn't been done for a while after you've set it.
There are other things we can try - even turning off speedstep - but for now we'll start ruling out simple issues...

How full are your HDDs?

Somehow i didn't seem to get a notification for this post, I apologise! I'll see if I can check drivers today. HDD is half full ish, 1tb out of 2tb. How do I run a disk check pleaaase? And i'm not sure i've ever done a de-frag, whoopsie!

Cheers

Travelling so brief reply...

Don't worry about the above all sounds good.

To check disk:
  • RMB the drive
  • Select properties from drop down menu
  • Select tools tab
  • Click on 'check'
  • Scan drive
As for drivers - chipset drivers, GFX etc.. especially chipset since BIOS update.

Cold boot error -motherboard couldn't initiate/sustain clock from first boot. If it's your first one since the clock is not overly concerning but not ideal. Can be resolved with a fraction more vCore if required.

It may have cleared/reset your clock - what does CPU-z read? - memory and CPU (CPU value under load - open a browser/app).

Typing on small device - bear with me...

The clock has held - but your memory has reverted back to defaults (i think - need to check bsck through thread).

Or look at the SPD tab in CPU-z - what does the frequency list in the last box to the right?

We need to set the XMP again for the memory to get it back to 1600MHz.

I think i set your memory correctly a few weeks before you had the nerve to attempt the clock?

If so it's probably the clock getting stressed with the memory controller (and vice versa) - as you didn't have this before.

Do you remember how to set the XMP in the BIOS?

Came up saying overclocking failed on restart
Well, that isn't good as the system was warmed up - i presumed/hoped it was a cold boot issue. :/

Maybe a bit more involved - have you noticed any other anomalies recently - more subtle than a black screen of foreboding?

Nothing in particular no, just a few stutters here and there but I'm not sure that was any different from before
For now:

We're going to knock down the multiplier to 42 - but keep the same voltage.

Save and exit.

Then we'll go back in and set you memory to the XMP - again save and ext.

We'll run with that for a few days and see what's-what - and work from there if it remains stable.

Back
Top Bottom