Netflix here we go again.

Caporegime
I'm actually surprised newspapers are still in business.

I haven't bought one in three decades.
Most are propped up by millionaire owners as a mouthpiece for the government/personal bias. The Sun is losing millions a year but Murdoch keeps it going as it has almost unparalleled reach in the UK.

Caporegime
Last edited:
Soldato
Once I get decent internet, I may setup an IPSEC tunnel between mine and my parents house. They can have a sky box on my account then, and netflix should carry on working.

Last edited:
Soldato
what are the odds that once they have done this and people dip in and out a few months every year they move to minimum term contracts
Once they do that, I'll likely just not bother subscribing at all. There is very little content on Netflix that interests me these days.
Locking people into contracts will only hurt these streaming video sites. 100% sure people will just cancel and not re-subscribe.
I'll certainly be one of those people.
I really only watch fictional TV. Its why I don't need a TV licence. Some of the recent stuff Ive liked or loved.

Arcane
Shadow and bone
Dragon prince
Last kingdom
Sandman
Troll hunters (arcadia series)
Castlevania
Trese
She-ra princess of power
Star trek (all the old series)
Sabrina
Wednesday
Stranger things
Snow piercer
Lost in space
Witcher (and its spin offs, especially the animation )
Locke and key
DOTA
3%
Archive 81
Travellers
glitch

Queens gambit - one of those rare non fiction series! :D

There are probably a lot more. Some of those were OK. A lot were good. And a few were exceptional.

When I trialed D+ all I really liked was wandavision, and a couple of the star wars series, mandalorian being my favourite. But I had a 6 months trial and only lasted 4 months before I went back to Netflix.
Out of all of those, I've only watched Queen's Gambit. I've not had any desire to watch any of the others, so our tastes clearly differ a lot.

The Netflix shows that I can recall watching in recent months:
- The Great British Bake-Off
- Somebody Feed Phil
- Big Timber
- Blown Away
- Black Holes The edge of all we know
- Aftershock: Everest and the Nepal Earthquake

Recent movies:
- The Gray Man
- Munich The edge of war

That's about it. My Netflix subscription will end in a few days and I probably won't resubscribe for at least another 6 months.

Caporegime
Once they do that, I'll likely just not bother subscribing at all. There is very little content on Netflix that interests me these days.

I'll certainly be one of those people.

Out of all of those, I've only watched Queen's Gambit. I've not had any desire to watch any of the others, so our tastes clearly differ a lot.

The Netflix shows that I can recall watching in recent months:
- The Great British Bake-Off
- Somebody Feed Phil
- Big Timber
- Blown Away
- Black Holes The edge of all we know
- Aftershock: Everest and the Nepal Earthquake

Recent movies:
- The Gray Man
- Munich The edge of war

That's about it. My Netflix subscription will end in a few days and I probably won't resubscribe for at least another 6 months.
Yes! Very different. I'm not exaggerating when I say I only watch fiction or nature documentary type stuff

Soldato
Why is more services bad? More choice, more competition.

Competition works when the competing services offer the same or very similar products and so are genuinely competing with each other to win your business. When they're all offering exclusive content, for me it's only partially competitive.

Streaming services are slowly creeping further and further into the realms where it's not so much competition as it is just spreading out the product offering so consumers can choose to either have only a small part of the available product or buy all the parts separately.

They're not driving each others prices competitively in a way that Sainsburys, Tesco and Asda will, because they're competing for your business with a comparable offering. Or Sky and Virgin offering mostly similar TV packages and competing to win your business for it.

Football is a great example of where this goes in a more content limited scenario - Sky used to have all the TV football. Then we got 'competition' with BT Sport buying some. Then some more 'competition' with Amazon buying some. Except it's not competition, it's just you now have to pay Sky, BT and Amazon to be able to access the same content you used to only have to pay Sky for, or settle for less content.

Nothing wrong with them operating like that but I don't think it's right to champion it as a great system for offering choice and a competitive market for pricing.

edit - apologies, landed in the middle of the thread without noticing and have picked up a conversation from weeks ago...

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah I also don't believe it's competition that benefits the consumer.

With 2 it's OK. Amazon and Netflix let's say.
But the more services the more it hurts all the services.

I think we've crossed that point.

I'm hoping the industry starts to consolidate again. Even Disney I believe is having a hard time.
When D+ (as an example) first came out it's great. Figures grow rapidly. Shareholders start happy. But with so little variety of content it doesn't take long for subscriptions to drop off.

Paramount+. The only one show in interested in on that. I'm not going to subscribe. I'll either just not bother. Or go the naughty way.

If the industry doesn't sort its self out soon they will all suffer. Unfortunately, despite Netflix advantage here I fear they may be a casualty without the backing of other revenue streams (ie Disney empire, amazon empire).

If Netflix died I would not get another steaming service as none of the others are worth it.

It seems comparable to the gaming space. Games/tv shows are probably comparable in cost? But TV shows are only 10 hours of content a series. Games can be 100s or thousands of hours of play time with microtransactions. A entire studio can survive on one hype crazy game.
Games seemed to be on 2 or 3 platforms. Especially on steam a few years back (when I stopped playing)

People won't pay 20 quid even for a series.

I'm not sure what happens next but I consolidation seems inevitable. I just hope the content I love from Netflix doesn't disappear into the ether.

To fund block buster series you need a world wide audience due to the costs of production.

Last edited:
Soldato
Competition works when the competing services offer the same or very similar products and so are genuinely competing with each other to win your business. When they're all offering exclusive content, for me it's only partially competitive.
Really, breathtakingly wrong. Are Mercedes only 'partially' competing with VW because they don't sell a Golf :rolleyes:
Streaming services are slowly creeping further and further into the realms where it's not so much competition as it is just spreading out the product offering so consumers can choose to either have only a small part of the available product or buy all the parts separately.
Wrong. The product offering has expanded massively. There is far more programming to watch than there has ever been. It is not a case of one fixed amount of content being divided into smaller packages. There is more content in more packages.
They're not driving each others prices competitively in a way that Sainsburys, Tesco and Asda will, because they're competing for your business with a comparable offering. Or Sky and Virgin offering mostly similar TV packages and competing to win your business for it.
Wrong again. Of course they compete, they compete on price, they compete on their product offering, same as all businesses in the same markets.
Football is a great example of where this goes in a more content limited scenario - Sky used to have all the TV football. Then we got 'competition' with BT Sport buying some. Then some more 'competition' with Amazon buying some. Except it's not competition, it's just you now have to pay Sky, BT and Amazon to be able to access the same content you used to only have to pay Sky for, or settle for less content.
So here you highlight exactly what is so wrong about the rest of your post. The case of football is entirely different, because there is a fixed supply of matches to televise. BT can't just make more football. Sky can't make more football.

In the case of Netflix/Amazing/D+/etc...they aren't just splitting up a fixed supply of television between themselves.....they are making the content.

Without the services competing, half the content simply wouldn't exist.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom