Netflix here we go again.

Soldato
Really, breathtakingly wrong. Are Mercedes only 'partially' competing with VW because they don't sell a Golf :rolleyes:

[...]

If you can't see why a car purchase isn't a comparable scenario, I can only assume you're deliberately misunderstanding or misrepresenting the argument and i'm not interested in engaging with wilfully dishonest argument.

Caporegime
If you can't see why a car purchase isn't a comparable scenario, I can only assume you're deliberately misunderstanding or misrepresenting the argument and i'm not interested in engaging with wilfully dishonest argument.

I totally agree with you.
I'm not sure about everyone else.
But for me personally....

If Netflix has enough good content I will Subscribe to them.
If amazon has enough I'd also subscribe to them.. Concurrently.

If they both have loads of content I'll subscribe to both perpetually and concurrently.

If both have limited content I will subscribe say 6 months of the year to both.

If Netflix only existed. And no other service but it didn't have enough good content I would still only subscribe say 6 months.

In this way I don't agree its like a supermarket. I have to use a supermarket. Food is an essential. If there is only 1 they can charge the earth.

Even if Netflix is the only service. It cannot charge 100 a month. Because it isn't essential or even necessary to life.

Netflix, even on its own has to produce good content at a decent price. Because the option of no streaming service is an option.

Last edited:
Soldato
Perhaps you should put forward an argument that stands up to at least a tiny bit of scrutiny?

Soldato
Perhaps you should put forward an argument that stands up to at least a tiny bit of scrutiny?
I might have been semi inclined to do so if you hadn't gone with an unnecessarily abrasive 'wrong. wrong. wrong.' posting style straight off the bat in response. Combined with the wilfully dishonest opening argument, as I said, i'm not interested in engaging in further discussion.

Soldato
I totally agree with you.
I'm not sure about everyone else.
But for me personally....

If Netflix has enough good content I will Subscribe to them.
If amazon has enough I'd also subscribe to them.. Concurrently.

If they both have loads of content I'll subscribe to both perpetually and concurrently.

If both have limited content I will subscribe say 6 months of the year to both.

If Netflix only existed. And no other service but it didn't have enough good content I would still only subscribe say 6 months.
Sounds a lot like there are two services offering competing products and you are exercising your power as a consumer to choose whichever one you like, like a normal human being.

You at least seem to not be one of these people that thinks you're entitled to all the content produced by every service because.....something....

Caporegime
Sounds a lot like there are two services offering competing products and you are exercising your power as a consumer to choose whichever one you like, like a normal human being.

You at least seem to not be one of these people that thinks you're entitled to all the content produced by every service because.....something....

Torrenting is a faff. If everyone did it there would be nothing to torrent. It's akin to adblockers

I happily pay and would pay more for Netflix currently. Its worth it.

But if customers are spread too thin in a space where the product is massively expensive the product will get worse. A negative feedback loop occurs.

Maybe for others it is seen more as competition. They will only subscribe to one streaming service. And they would no matter how bad it got. But I don't think one streaming service is too bad. They'd go bust if they charged too much. Or they produced total cack

2 is great. Even 3. But more than 3? I don't think it's sustainable. Certainly not to produce content the cost of what Netflix does.

I watched the shadow and bone trailer for season 2 on netflix and it looked amazing. I can't begin to imagine the cost of that for 10 hours of TV!

Last edited:
Soldato
car comparison doesn't seem off beam - most individuals have limited budget for streaming services, and like cars their products have a lot of content/functionality(subjectively) overlap, so,
you decide which make to take a punt on, meeting most of your needs. Like cars you can't drive two streaming services simultaneously.

sky with their free discovery&paramount&netflix seem to be in the re-unification camp .. however relations into rugby(bt via sky) annoyed amazon took some matches, but aren't going to start paying them too.

Soldato
Torrenting is a faff. If everyone did it there would be nothing to torrent. It's akin to adblockers

I happily pay and would pay more for Netflix currently. Its worth it.

But if customers are spread too thin in a space where the product is massively expensive the product will get worse. A negative feedback loop occurs.

Maybe for others it is seen more as competition. They will only subscribe to one streaming service. And they would no matter how bad it got. But I don't think one streaming service is too bad. They'd go bust if they charged too much. Or they produced total cack

2 is great. Even 3. But more than 3? I don't think it's sustainable. Certainly not to produce content the cost of what Netflix does.

I watched the shadow and bone trailer for season 2 on netflix and it looked amazing. I can't begin to imagine the cost of that for 10 hours of TV!
I think the range of services is great! Assuming you're an adult with some impulse control, there's never been so much great content to watch, and it's cheap! Subscribe to one service for a month, watch all the good stuff, move onto the next to one, repeat....and praise the lord, it's all with NO ADS.

I for one do not miss the bad old days when you just a very limited range of content for one price (OK maybe two, TV license + Sky/Cable) at the cost of relentless advertising being fired at your eyeballs.

Soldato
I could see streaming services bringing in the old 'one episode a week' model to stop people binge watching a series then cancelling again.
We have to many, which just dilutes things IMO.

edit week not month

Last edited:
Caporegime
I think the range of services is great! Assuming you're an adult with some impulse control, there's never been so much great content to watch, and it's cheap! Subscribe to one service for a month, watch all the good stuff, move onto the next to one, repeat....and praise the lord, it's all with NO ADS.

I for one do not miss the bad old days when you just a very limited range of content for one price (OK maybe two, TV license + Sky/Cable) at the cost of relentless advertising being fired at your eyeballs.

That's what I don't want to go back to.
Don't want so many services that the pool of content declines in quality and end up like sky TV with 99 percent (not an exaggeration?) as dross.

Caporegime
I could see streaming services bringing in the old 'one episode a month' model to stop people binge watching a series then cancelling again.

Yeah this or contracts.
1 a week is probably better than contracts then people still have a choice. It wouldn't bother me actually.

Soldato
I could see streaming services bringing in the old 'one episode a week' model to stop people binge watching a series then cancelling again.

edit week not month
Already been doing this with the bigger series, better call Saul was drip fed on Netflix, I think I recall obiwan on Disney being a slow drip too

Soldato
Really? That would be cancel time for me tbh, I don't watch much, but when I do I binge.
Yeah for sure, to add salt to the wound for better call Saul they had a break if about 2 months midway through the final season. Checking wiki first episode was April 18th final episode august 15th

Soldato
Already been doing this with the bigger series, better call Saul was drip fed on Netflix, I think I recall obiwan on Disney being a slow drip too

Most do yeah, Apple TV, Disney, Prime, most release a couple of episodes then release one a week.
I don’t mind this, it just means I wait until it’s all dropped and then sub, lol.

Soldato
car comparison doesn't seem off beam - most individuals have limited budget for streaming services, and like cars their products have a lot of content/functionality(subjectively) overlap, so,
you decide which make to take a punt on, meeting most of your needs. Like cars you can't drive two streaming services simultaneously.
No, but I would suggest most people only 'own' one car at a time. Yes, maybe a family has two, his and hers so to speak, but it's usually in that 1:1 or 2:2 ratio. Surely streaming services are subbed to in their multiples in a much great regularity. I think, with 2 people in my flat, we sub to 3 services, one of them twice (our own service each).

I do also wonder how directly Mercedes do compete with VW? I don't know cars well enough, but I would have thought if you asked Mercedes they would say their direct competition is Audi and BMW?

Soldato
Most do yeah, Apple TV, Disney, Prime, most release a couple of episodes then release one a week.
I don’t mind this, it just means I wait until it’s all dropped and then sub, lol.
Indeed. I try to wait until there's 4 or less episodes to watch so that I can watch the show series within a month's subscription.

AppleTV and Disney+ definitely drip feed every season of every new/major show. I know some people who like to talk about each episode for a week, like the old days, but it just irritates me.

Soldato
I think the car one is a fantastic analogy but not in the way the poster thought (the complete opposite imo). The type of person wanting a vw polo is not the same person wanting an a-class as they are in 2 different markets (as an example). There's some overlap, but I think it's too fragmented now, there must be a dozen streaming services in the US, wonder how long it will take for that to happen here. We've already got disney, netflix, prime, paramount, hbo, have I missed any?

Back
Top Bottom