Netflix here we go again.

Associate
720p used to be called 'HD Ready' as I remember it, then 1080p was HD or full HD. So 720 wasn't really proper HD.
'HD Ready' is just another marketing term to differentiate 720p and 1080p. The official definition for 720p has always been HD so it is proper HD.

Soldato
Yeah, that whole thing is so dumb. If the marketers call 1080p full HD, it implies 720p is not full HD, so people think it's partial or sub-hd.

They even sometimes called 720 standard hd, which is even more dumb. So we have standard def, then standard high def, then full high def? What a **** show.

Especially when 1080p or full HD is more than double the number of actual pixels. We're not talking a negligible bump here.

One should be HD and one should be something completely different. It's like trying to call 4k standard 8k, and 8k full 8k.

Last edited:
Soldato
Most people wouldn't have a problem with paying if the content was actually good, didnt get cancelled after one season or you have half complete seasons. Like seasons 1-3 of a series and season 6-8 but season 4 - 5 is missing :confused: You end up going to the Jolly Roger for this missing episodes.

But yes, media companies are definitely not struggling for cash if they can spend millions on a series and never release it.

It's a good point actually. If you get people who subscribe to watch a particular show and they invest potentially 10-20 hours, end on a good cliffhanger and then Netflix decide to can it. Way to go to **** your customers off. Frankly it should be the customers who get to vote what gets renewed and what gets axed.

Caporegime
It's a good point actually. If you get people who subscribe to watch a particular show and they invest potentially 10-20 hours, end on a good cliffhanger and then Netflix decide to can it. Way to go to **** your customers off. Frankly it should be the customers who get to vote what gets renewed and what gets axed.

They kind of do though. Netflix is in it to make money. So they will make series 2 of successful shows.

People like to think the shows they like are successful.

Netflix have all the data, the costs of production, who watched to end, who watched the series in a week. Etc etc. They aren't going to can a show that isn't successful.

Only thing I could argue is do they make too many shows? Because they cut so many? But if they didn't. How would they know what's successful?

Soldato
They kind of do though. Netflix is in it to make money. So they will make series 2 of successful shows.

People like to think the shows they like are successful.

Netflix have all the data, the costs of production, who watched to end, who watched the series in a week. Etc etc. They aren't going to can a show that isn't successful.

Only thing I could argue is do they make too many shows? Because they cut so many? But if they didn't. How would they know what's successful?
Just to add to this point, I can't remember if it was Netflix exactly but don't they judge a lot of the 'success' on the initial week the show is released etc?

I'm sure there are some that accumulate a lot of views over time and are more of a sleeper hit as maybe they didn't advertise/hype it up enough because that is expensive so the first weeks views aren't what they hoped even though said show is already at a disadvantage because a lot of people don't know about it but maybe someone watches, loves it, tells their friends or posts online etc and it gains traction but by that point it is probably already on the cutting board to be cancelled.

This is the reason I haven't watched a few shows that interested me as I heard it is cancelled before I even start the first season etc

Associate
The quality of content on netflix is shockingly bad....and always has been with an occasional exception scattered here and there. The odds of finding something good are slim to none. But we keep flicking through hoping we find something good...gambling psychology.
Netflix is run by the greedy corporate investors and their main focus is to make money. The soft dev team does an amazing job creating smoke and mirrors to make it look pretty and give you an illusion of choice.

I agree with some people here, it all became too fragmented, too expensive with quantity over quality. On a flip side, it's never been a better time to get into books or other hobbies ;)

Soldato
My wife and I regularly rotate through monthly subscriptions for Netflix, Paramount+, and Apple TV+, as there is only periodic releases of new and interesting content, and once we've watched our way through it, there's zero point in continuing to pay for the subscription. The one exception to the rule is Disney+, but that's only because our kids continue to find tons of interesting content to watch on Disney+, and our American Express card covers the monthly cost of our Disney+ subscription as one of the perks of the card.

Soldato
My wife and I regularly rotate through monthly subscriptions for Netflix, Paramount+, and Apple TV+, as there is only periodic releases of new and interesting content, and once we've watched our way through it, there's zero point in continuing to pay for the subscription. The one exception to the rule is Disney+, but that's only because our kids continue to find tons of interesting content to watch on Disney+, and our American Express card covers the monthly cost of our Disney+ subscription as one of the perks of the card.

This is how to do it, in fact Im finding apart from the odd gem these last 2 months the quality of content from these streamers have been really poor, especially Netflix and Prime. Disney had some good movies recently and Apple TV + has had a lot of tv shows, particularly new seasons of past shows like Slow Horses which is great and Servant, still to watch.
They all have poor months, but for me Prime and Netflix since start of year has sucked. Shotgun Wedding on Prime, seriously what a stinker, these streamers need to do better.

Caporegime
This is how to do it, in fact Im finding apart from the odd gem these last 2 months the quality of content from these streamers have been really poor, especially Netflix and Prime. Disney had some good movies recently and Apple TV + has had a lot of tv shows, particularly new seasons of past shows like Slow Horses which is great and Servant, still to watch.
They all have poor months, but for me Prime and Netflix since start of year has sucked. Shotgun Wedding on Prime, seriously what a stinker, these streamers need to do better.

All depends what you like.
Different services seem to cater to different audiences.

I'd rate the Services:

Netflix
Prime
Disney
Others

With Netflix a long way in front of the rest. Its due to the content I like. Amazon is improving. But I don't subscribe to prime as not enough content I want to watch yet.

Associate
what are the odds that once they have done this and people dip in and out a few months every year they move to minimum term contracts

Soldato

I'd rate the Services:

Netflix
Prime
Disney
Others

With Netflix a long way in front of the rest. Its due to the content I like. Amazon is improving. But I don't subscribe to prime as not enough content I want to watch yet.

For sure but no denying some of the output has been really weak from some of these streamers lately, even if it’s a genre you like.

Soldato
what are the odds that once they have done this and people dip in and out a few months every year they move to minimum term contracts

Zero, as they will lose a huge amount of subscribers.
Unless it was short term like 3month contracts, even then it would just show they are desperate.

Last edited:
Associate
Zero, as they will lose a huge amount of subscribers.
But thats about to happen no ?
As people wont be allowed to share as suggested in previous posts people will switch to doing 1 or 2 months amazon, then 2 months netflix etc.
If revenues are threatened then I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes the norm, what options would you have.
Only other option would be for them to increase the monthly subs by a huge margin to persuade users to lock in to 12 months etc or move to a model like sky have with Now TV but with reduced features

Also just highlighting as have seen minimum terms for lots of services increase, i.e. broadband , phone etc - used to be able to get 12 months etc, now seems most of them are 18 / 24 months with mobiles going to 36 etc, so looking to lock customers in to protect / smooth revenues.
I think we will see the subscription models change over the next 12-18 months

Caporegime
For sure but no denying some of the output has been really weak from some of these streamers lately, even if it’s a genre you like.

I assume it's near impossible for all these streamers to put out enough content to keep thier viewer base subscribed indefinitely.

More fracturing only hurts this more.

I'm guessing we are still covid lag phase too.

On netflix only big one coming for me is shadow and bone. And that's what.. 8 evenings, so 2-3 weeks. It's just too much of an ask for any one streamer.

Even though Netflix is dry I could probably do a month of amazon a year, a month of D+ and 10 of Netflix. This is why I like Netflix it's 10x as good for me than the others.

Last edited:
Soldato

I'd rate the Services:

Netflix

What do you like so much about Netflix? I only have it at the moment as I wanted to watch All Quiet on the Western Front but I’m not seeing much different from the last time I subbed for a month.

I go to the cinema pretty often so there’s nothing on there in the way of movies that would make me subscribe long term. Will watch Drive to Survive but I think that’s passed its peak.

Soldato
But thats about to happen no ?
As people wont be allowed to share as suggested in previous posts people will switch to doing 1 or 2 months amazon, then 2 months netflix etc.
If revenues are threatened then I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes the norm, what options would you have.
Only other option would be for them to increase the monthly subs by a huge margin to persuade users to lock in to 12 months etc or move to a model like sky have with Now TV but with reduced features

Also just highlighting as have seen minimum terms for lots of services increase, i.e. broadband , phone etc - used to be able to get 12 months etc, now seems most of them are 18 / 24 months with mobiles going to 36 etc, so looking to lock customers in to protect / smooth revenues.
I think we will see the subscription models change over the next 12-18 months

I guess, but they will lose even more switching to long term contracts, people have always rotated different streamers, that’s nothing new.
As said if it happens, it will likely be short term contracts, maybe 3/4 months.
Really can’t see how locking people into 12 month contracts will be wise for them, the only people that wouldn't mind this is those that keep their sub rolling regardless.
Even the likes of Sky/BT, people are cancelling their service, due to rising costs, and signing up to monthly subs with Netflix and the likes, so why would these streamers adopt a similar approach that people are struggling to pay for, or don’t wish to pay for.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom