Netflix here we go again.

Permabanned
That's a very poor comparison. For one thing it depends on which Blu-Ray film you buy, some can be as little as £2 which is a lot cheaper than a month of Netflix. You could get any Blu-Ray/DVD you wanted whereas with Netflix you have a very limited selection that can change at any time. If you wanted to watch the film again in the future you'd have to buy another month of Netfix if you had paused your subscription which would make it even more expensive compared to buying the Blu-Ray. Also as someone else already mentioned Blu-Ray is much higher quality due to the high compression on Netflix so you're not really even comparing the same product.

Alright then let’s go to DVD quality. 5 movies rented per month would still have been more expensive than a Netflix subscription for all you can eat movies.

Soldato
Surprised on this one tbf. But guess it's working for some people.

Netflix as found a way to be cheaper in a financial downturn, i cant see them doing bad out of this.
it's like youtube keep asking me to pay £10PM for no ad's... that's not going well i give zero ***** about ads and watch 2 videos a month max lol... just like netflix

Last edited:
Soldato
The issue now is that there are so many streaming platforms with content spread across all of them, that many people are reverting to "old ways" because having to subscribe to a dozen different services is basically a pain in the backside. If it were only one service that would be fine, two ehh maybe still ok, but when its multiples its just annoying.

As with the blockbuster days, if you wanted to rent a movie, you went to one place. When I look at the things I'm watching currently they require Prime, Netflix, Hulu, HBO+, Paramount+, Disney+ and AppleTV which is a pretty chunky bill every month.
This is exactly the problem and there are only two solutions 1. Market consolidation ie half of them go bust which may not favour Betflux as it doesn’t have the back catalogue of some of its biggest rivals or 2. Some sort of super subscription that covers multiple streaming services.

Caporegime
I just hope Netflix survives. Disney and amazon can just keep throwing money at it as long as they want. But Netflix has to produce good stuff.

I'd be gutted if Netflix vanished.

Associate
I just hope Netflix survives. Disney and amazon can just keep throwing money at it as long as they want. But Netflix has to produce good stuff.

I'd be gutted if Netflix vanished.

I've not had Netflix for about 9 months now (money saving), it was the only streaming service i had too. I've been getting by with car boot dvd/bluray, but might just pick up netflix (non ad) soon due to some more good looking content being mentioned on this forum. I could never see myself using Disney or the others. Though i still don't think i'd bother with a cheaper ad supported service though.

Soldato
I’ve really cut down on streaming lately, recently cancelled my Apple one plan that included Apple TV +, just wasn’t getting my money worth, so just stick with the iCloud storage.

I just have Netflix and Amazon Prime currently.

Soldato
It will be interesting how they do this legally with netflix subscription being tied to the sky entertainment pack. Sky now let you account share, and it says in the t&cs you can share your sky subscription with up to 5 friends and family. Just log into the skyid online to enter their email address so they get sent an invite link. Since netflix is part of the sky package, you should (as per their t&cs) be allowed to carry on sharing.

We share our full sky package (entertainment, netflix, movies, sports) with parents and a few friends so we all go 1/5th on the cost. Makes it a good deal.

Last edited:
Associate
It will be interesting how they do this legally with netflix subscription being tied to the sky entertainment pack. Sky now let you account share, and it says in the t&cs you can share your sky subscription with up to 5 friends and family. Since netflix is part of the sky package, you should (as per their t&cs) be allowed to carry on sharing.

We share our full sky package (entertainment, netflix, movies, sports) with parents and a few friends so we all go 1/5th on the cost. Makes it a good deal.
There was an article in the guardian a few days back that said netflix has already warned providers.. So assuming they'll change their t&cs.

Associate
Can’t afford it can’t have it.
If they can't afford it that might also mean someone else also can't afford it due to no longer receiving their share. In which case netflix lose subscribers instead of gaining.

When netflix was cheaper I could justify keeping it for a year, but now there's 4 of us. If the other 3 can't use it, I know for sure they can't afford it so will just cancel, and I'll be left with a choice to either keep it or cancel and just subscribe one or two months a year, effectively reducing netflix revenue.

I guess we'll see. If loads are in similar situations netflix might have shot themselves in the foot.

Soldato
just subscribe one or two months a year, effectively reducing netflix revenue.
This is my SOP for all of the streaming platforms, except for Prime Video (Prime 2 day delivery alone is worth the annual fee for us) and Disney+ (as American Express pays for it as a monthly "entertainment credit").

There's just not enough new content that my family and I enjoy watching to be worth being continually subscribed to most of the platforms. We'll wait until a number of shows are available that we want to watch, subscribe, watch the shows over the course of a few weeks/month or two, and then cancel. Rinse and repeat.

Last edited:
Associate
It's also frustrating that I have to get the 4 screens pack even though I only have 1 TV due to wanting UHD..

They should either offer the option of pick and mix or just advertise # of screens and don't care where they are..

Back
Top Bottom