Netflix here we go again.

Associate
I couldn't be bothered using a vpn and paying a different countries charge. You have to pay for a vpn, then mess around setting it up (i have no idea how to set 1 up for tv's which is what we watch netflix on). We (i go halves with another family member under the same roof) pay £6.99 for uk netflix without adverts and up to now get our moneys worth, watch it practically everyday.

Associate
topped up my Turkish account to Aug 24 at a cost of £32.47 :) downgraded to 1080p and not really noticed that much difference

I have another 6 months via 200TL gift vouchers it wont let me use yet

Soldato
I couldn't be bothered using a vpn and paying a different countries charge. You have to pay for a vpn, then mess around setting it up (i have no idea how to set 1 up for tv's which is what we watch netflix on). We (i go halves with another family member under the same roof) pay £6.99 for uk netflix without adverts and up to now get our moneys worth, watch it practically everyday.
You don’t need to use the vpn to watch it, only set it up.

Associate
You don’t need to use the vpn to watch it, only set it up.
tried it, after trying 3 vpns which didn't work finally got 1 that got past the 1st netflix sign up screen, asked for payment details, then wanted to verify i had a turkey mobile number which i dont of course. tried online free turkey sms services, none were accepted by netflix. waste of time and now have to wait for vpn purchase refunds. serves me right for being so tight to go to all that trouble to save £3 per month!

Soldato
tried it, after trying 3 vpns which didn't work finally got 1 that got past the 1st netflix sign up screen, asked for payment details, then wanted to verify i had a turkey mobile number which i dont of course. tried online free turkey sms services, none were accepted by netflix. waste of time and now have to wait for vpn purchase refunds. serves me right for being so tight to go to all that trouble to save £3 per month!

It doesn't work because they closed that loophole about 2 years ago. I did mine back in 2019 and keep the sub going.

Associate
topped up my Turkish account to Aug 24 at a cost of £32.47 :) downgraded to 1080p and not really noticed that much difference

I have another 6 months via 200TL gift vouchers it wont let me use yet
I don't like topping up more than 3 months at a time because there's a good chance the Turkish Lira will go down and Netflix prices will go up.

It doesn't work because they closed that loophole about 2 years ago. I did mine back in 2019 and keep the sub going.
I set mine up last year with gift vouchers, no issues with it.

Can't type for toffee
Don
Don't they geolock the account for the first month now, after that you don't need a vpn to watch.
I believe they do now yes... signup and then leave the account for a month

Just checked mine... 61 months of netflix ultimate 4k and all the bells and whistles ... £269.09

According to the current Netlflix site the price is £15.99 / month for this package

This would be £975.39

Was well worth fiddling for half an hour to setup lol

Associate

Just checked mine... 61 months of netflix ultimate 4k and all the bells and whistles ... £269.09

According to the current Netlflix site the price is £15.99 / month for this package

This would be £975.39

Can you pay for 61 months in advance? I thought it just added credit to your Netflix account and estimated time remaining based on the current price. If the price goes up because the Turkish Lira dropped in value then the time remaining would go down. I believe prices are going up soon to 200 TL per month for the 4K package. Also if they crack down on people using Turkish accounts then you'd lose a lot of money.

Associate

This would be £975.39

I pay £6.99 currently, if i could get this loophole to work i'd be paying £3, I can't be bothered fiddling around to save that much. I've just today wasted 2 hours and got myself a bit stressed over the myther of doing it and wasted a few quid using crap vpn's that don't work. Nah got better things to do. All power to you though as saving that much is worth the myther.

Soldato
it may be against the Ts and Cs of netflix but ... illegal? are you sure?

(note I don't do It myself but I just didn't think this was correct)

You are dancing on the head of a pin.

Nobody will do jail time but the user's doing this are obtaining pecuniary advantage by lying. Netflix will presumably close the loophole at some point. Using a VPN to cheat rather than for privacy probably abuses their terms and conditions as well.

It is similar as those who never and still don't buy a copy of Microsoft Windows thinking Oh I've bought the hardware why should I pay more for software. Low level criminality IMO.

Soldato

Nobody will do jail time but the user's doing this are obtaining pecuniary advantage by lying. Netflix will presumably close the loophole at some point. Using a VPN to cheat rather than for privacy probably abuses their terms and conditions as well.

It is similar as those who never and still don't buy a copy of Microsoft Windows thinking Oh I've bought the hardware why should I pay more for software. Low level criminality IMO.
I disagree....... buying / licencing software from a different country is absolutely not the same as pirating it imo.....

dont get me wrong, if you disagree with it and think it is wrong then fair play, you are entitled to that view and it may even be correct, but that does not make it illegal, and IF it was i suspect overclockers would be forced to close any threads mentioning it.
For as long as i remember people have been buying booze and tobacco from other countries (for their own use) because it is cheaper. Am not sure why software should be treated differently.

HOWEVER IF i am wrong it is is illegal then i am more than happy to be corrected but i would probably need to see a link from a reputable (no offence meant to you) source to believe it.

again to confirm... i am being mugged off like the majority of us, paying the full wack, tho for how much longer i am not sure, i may just cancel soon. Prices are increasing and the new content decreasing...so we are objectively getting less, the same is true for Sky, prime and Disney (and probably others but they are the only subs i have).

Last edited:
Soldato

So you're confirming it's not actually illegal, just a breach of the TOS which I'm sure everyone who is doing it that way already knows.

Back
Top Bottom