Netgear D7000 VDSL modem/router

Associate
Just noticed there's a free version too... wonder what the limitiations are.

Code:
This free version has some advertising and doesn't has the following features:
* Tap device support
* obfsproxy support
* Auto connect on connectivity up/down
* Tasker/Locale plugin
* Widgets

In other words, without TAP support it will not work with the Netgear, so you need to get the premium version.

Soldato
What dynamic DNS options does this have?

I currently run third-party firmware on my DGND3700 which allows me to use any service. This means I can provide updates direct to my domain registrar.

Soldato
OP
I've gone into the setup of the Dynamic DNS and it appears that it only gives you those two options in the drop down. There doesn't appear to be any way of inputting any others either.

Soldato
Hard to get a consensus on this from the thread. I'm thinking about upgrading our Netgear DG834G to something newer and this looks like a good option on the face of it. I don't have many advanced needs, still on standard max ADSL but hopefully have fibre in the next year. It's not exactly cheap at £160 though so I want to make the right choice. Is it worth the price tag? What other devices should I be looking at?

Associate
Just having a deeper look at Mydslstats and was wondering if there was a way of looking at the the cumulative CRCs as a line graph. Is this possible (I can't see how!).

I am also interested in understanding more about my SNR stats. I am showing the customary lower SNR during the night but it is sooooo low every night, often down to zero that I expect restarts - but they don't come and I have the best performance from the router that I have ever had. (I have over a KM of overhead cable with many loints along the way). Is this router so good that it will hold up the lowest of connections? (mydslstats is PDES)

Soldato
OP
May be better to ask on kitz about MDWS.

As for the SNR dropping so low, would that indicate some sort of noise it is seeing? Some sort of interference when stuff starts coming on in the evening?

Associate
Just having a deeper look at Mydslstats and was wondering if there was a way of looking at the the cumulative CRCs as a line graph. Is this possible (I can't see how!).

I am also interested in understanding more about my SNR stats. I am showing the customary lower SNR during the night but it is sooooo low every night, often down to zero that I expect restarts - but they don't come and I have the best performance from the router that I have ever had. (I have over a KM of overhead cable with many loints along the way). Is this router so good that it will hold up the lowest of connections? (mydslstats is PDES)

You have the same problem I had. Just go back through this thread and look at my posts. Your s/n started around 6db and has been dropping at night. Over time your s/n is not recovering (same issue I had) which eventually means your s/n drops very low. I sent loads of data off to netgear who passed it onto Broadcom. Didn't get a solution. From the data I collected it appears that during the evening you are getting rein interference at certain frequencies. This results in the modem marking these frequencies as unusable. As time goes on more and more bins are marked as bad. I've just looked at your bits/tone graph - I suspect if you power cycled the modem (turn off an leave for 30 mins before turning back on) bins would recover (do it during the day whilst there is no interference). Your line has remained stable and not re-synced as your eroded seconds are low due to g.inp being active.

There is something strange going on with this router .......

Soldato
OP
That isn't good to hear then! I'll send some information to the Netgear guy. See if he can pass it on to Broadcom too.

pdes, Do you have a profile on Kitz? I may need to send you some info so ideally need somewhere where I can easily contact you.

Last edited:
Associate
The netgear guy was really supportive the issue appears to be with the new Broadcom chipset or drivers apparently. In the end I returned it and went back to my billion. As I seemed to be the only one with the issue I don't think much pressure was put onto them. At the end of the day how many standard users keep checking their line stats?

Soldato
OP
Yeah I emailed the guy you were speaking to and now the senior support manager for the design team is asking for more info. Im guessing to pass onto broadcom. These guys are pretty good. I guess they can only do so much if its down to broadcom, a bit disappointed with broadcoms reply to you though.

Associate
pdes, Do you have a profile on Kitz? I may need to send you some info so ideally need somewhere where I can easily contact you.

Yep, Kitz is also pdes.

The modem dips to zero every night and suffers "blips" during the day. You can see this on my mydslwebstats. The good thisn about this modem is that despite the low SNRs, it hasn't droped the connection once. I am wary of rebooting though as I wil almost certainly lose my line speed. Currently I am synced at 9.4m but on the last few reboots, it has dropped each time to around 7m. Those extra 2.4m are critical to me.

I have noticed that there is a direct correlation between the rise in FECs and the "blips" in my SNR but I expect those more knowledgeable than me would say "of course they do"!

I recently retired my Asus 86u in favour of the D7000 to try to get the chipsets matching and this is where I got the extra speed but althought he speed was much lower with the Asus, I was able to tweak the SNR settings and I managed to even things out greatly by adding 2db. It would be awesome if the Netgear folks could add some form of adlustment.

Just let me know if I can help.

Soldato
OP
Yep, Kitz is also pdes.

The modem dips to zero every night and suffers "blips" during the day. You can see this on my mydslwebstats. The good thisn about this modem is that despite the low SNRs, it hasn't droped the connection once. I am wary of rebooting though as I wil almost certainly lose my line speed. Currently I am synced at 9.4m but on the last few reboots, it has dropped each time to around 7m. Those extra 2.4m are critical to me.

I have noticed that there is a direct correlation between the rise in FECs and the "blips" in my SNR but I expect those more knowledgeable than me would say "of course they do"!

I recently retired my Asus 86u in favour of the D7000 to try to get the chipsets matching and this is where I got the extra speed but althought he speed was much lower with the Asus, I was able to tweak the SNR settings and I managed to even things out greatly by adding 2db. It would be awesome if the Netgear folks could add some form of adlustment.

I actually found you after i posted, ill semd you a PM there hopefully soonish. Thanks for the explanation, I'm awaiting an email back from said people and hopefully they can point you in the right direction.

Associate
Yep, Kitz is also pdes.

If it is the same issue I had then rebooting during the day will not affect your line speed and will return your s/n to 6db. This is the first question you will get from netgear. I can only see 4 days on mydslstats -what was the s/n when you first turned it on? I'm not sure whether Dlm checks s/n, from what I have read it could result in additional monitoring by the Dlm. Your eroded seconds are really low hence no retrain.

Associate
If it is the same issue I had then rebooting during the day will not affect your line speed and will return your s/n to 6db. This is the first question you will get from netgear.

I spoke too soon. As I feared, this evening, I hit zero SNR and the connection re-synced. The SNR returned to 6.5 (for now) but I lost over a meg in line speed. I'll try another re-sync tomorrow, during the day.

Associate
Well, I reset the router at around 16:00 - during the day when I wouldn't normally expect a regular drop in SNR. Upon re-start, it was back to 5.9 db and with 0.5mb increase in speed. I had high hopes for stability with this router. Maybe Netgear will come up with something.

Back
Top Bottom